Das Lied von der Erde

Late

Despite my aversion to owning multiple copies of classical pieces I have owned 3.

The Giulini from the mid-80s has been my main listen but the soundstage always bothered me. Like many of those early digital recordings it sounds like it was recorded in a cavern.

I was driving round Austria in the late 90s with no Das Lied so bought the Phillips twofer with the Haitink/King/Baker version on. Very enjoyable and it's got played more than the Giulini.

But today I found my first Das Lied on Spotify - Solti/Minton/Kollo. This is - regardless of where it falls in the approved hierarchy - how I hear the piece. In those early years I could only afford a few records so they got played again and again and stamped themselves on my memory. This one evokes those angst ridden late-teen years, sitting in a student hall of residence worrying about whether I was going to make it with my studies or how I was going to approach that unattainable girl. Not what Mahler had in mind but worrying about death or the possibilities of the eternal was not high on my list of priorities at the time.

I've never seen a live performance - would like to.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Thanks for all the posts. I have three versions (Walter, Giulini, and Bernstein with Ludwig & Kollo), and probably reach for the Walter the most. I need to hear the Klemperer; I like his way with Mahler, particularly the 2nd symphony.

I'll be hearing Das Lied live for the first time in May. Looking forward to it. I agree with David — Mahler is great live! Whenever there's a Mahler performance within driving distance, I try to go.

=========

Related:

I only have Horenstein's 9th, and like it, but need to listen to it more. There was a time I was collecting Mahler more than listening. That's changing now, and Horenstein is on my backlog.

Anyone here heard Mitropoulos's Mahler? Perhaps even more eccentric than Scherchen's (e.g. fast tempi), but I think Mitropoulos's overall intent works. I like Scherchen's 1 in an old Westminster recording.

not having access to spotters, there's other ways to find many versions:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=7537&name_role1=1&comp_id=14812&bcorder=15

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/59578/Gustav-Mahler-Das-Lied-von-der-Erde

Plenty of more recent recordings around indeed!

Btw, I ordered the Horenstein, promped by this thread ... no shipping confirmation just yet, but crossing my fingers!

... the Chinese version on BIS.

I was just reading about this edition. Sounds interesting. Anyone here heard it?

And ... anyone here happen to have the Japanese hybrid SACD version of the Klemperer (TOGE prefix) ... ? (It came out in 2012, but is already out-of-print.)

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, soulpope said:

For what its worth, also to be mentioned - as sort of left fielder - Horenstein's performace with Alfreda Hodgson + John Mitchinson recorded in 1972 and released on BBC Legends ....

Btw both singers also perform this euvre admirably with Alexander Gibson + SNO (recorded in 1975) ....