Winter Olympics anyone?

I used to watch them more regularly and with more interest when the focus was sports, rather than what we have now, a seemingly never-ending procession of over-the-top human interest stories brimming with sentimentality. It's also hard to get excited about a match was already decided in the real world (but not in NBC land). Anyway, unless something interesting develops, like a really good hockey game, I probably won't be watching.

Boycotting is a set up for 'what goes around come around' as the Soviet Union & USA did many years ago ; the ultimate irony it was over them leaving Afghanistan which has become our burden the past 13 years.

I do like that the USA delegation is full of gay people, in a kind of not so subtle silent slap..

Will probably see some hand holding and same sex kissing in protest, perhaps followed by public beheading ceremonies in prime time.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

Russia blocks Chobani yogurt from Winter Olympics, straining relations

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/05/chobani-yogurt-blocked-from-winter-olympics-by-russians/

I think I might kill a motherfucker trying to take my Chobani, especially a stranger.

Well, ok, "kill" is a bit harsh, but only because of the implications.

I have mixed feelings about the Olympics. I really like the skating and we have a few real impressive sporters who are taking part. This I say, but in the back of my mind is that last year as a member of Amnesty Inc. I was asked to send a personal postcard to the girls of the musicgroup Pussy Riot who were still in custody at that time, I did and wrote something about being a singer/musician myself and that music is always something to hang on to. Maybe that got to me so much, since my music is my way of expressing and I could only imagine it to be exactly that for those girls. That is just one example of things, as you know there are many other, that happen in the world that need our attention. Not on this board, I know, so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by page

Winter Olympics. All about it in this house. My 2 oldest sons are nationally ranked Short Track Speed Skaters, and my eldest is in Long Track, also. Hopefully going to the Olympic trials in 4 years....

My sons' friend Emery is there now - competed in the 5000m today.

I also loves me some Curling! Seriously.

For me the most thrilling event is ski jumping! Long time ago I got to see the actual Oberstdorf Austria ski jump site that was for years featured in the intro to Wide World of Sports. "The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat!" The agony of defeat line showed video of a ski jumper wipe out at Oberstdorf, from what I understand.

The strangest event is long distance skiing then stopping to shoot at targets. Can anyone huffing and puffing from the exertion of a marathon ski session really shoot straight? Those contestants are awesome specimens!

Oh, and the flying little girl in the opening ceremony was fantastic. She should be a star!

The people bent over and moving fast was a pretty good artistic representation of the industrialization under Communism. They put a lot of thought into the whole opening ceremony history of Russia and it was kind of strange to say the least. Not sure how they could have done it better (from their point of view).

Edited by Neal Pomea

... They put a lot of thought into the whole opening ceremony history of Russia ...

I loved the part about the Gulag and about ethnic cleansing and its valued tradition from tsarism to present ... as for the "thought", its gist was likely: some dude built Petersburg ... some other dude built Sochi.