Bookshelf speaker recommendations.

Scott Dolan

So, I'm still hemming and hawing over my new speaker purchase. Which I knew would happen because I'm well-known to take more than a year researching speakers before I finally pull the trigger.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I want to stay under $1,500. So far I've somewhat narrowed it down to PSB Speakers Imagine B (mostly because their headphones are simply mind-blowing), Dynaudio X14, and I've recently started falling in love with the Zu Omen Bookshelf. The full-size Zu Omen is a slight consideration, but with my Velodyne sub I really want to go with stand mounts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When my Quad 988 electrostatic speakers exploded (wasn't even listening to anything) I sold them and ordered a pair of bookshelf KEF LS50 monitors. The limited-edition LS50 Jubilee Edition sold out last year, but KEF recently decided to make some more, a non-Jubilee series this time. They're ugly, but they got rave reviews and seem to be as good as high-end speakers.

http://www.kefdirect.com/ls50.html

Edited by J.A.W.

You should check out B&W 685s. There is a redesigned version coming out very soon featuring trickle down tweeter technology from the CM10 speaker. The new model number is 685 S2. I've owned B&W 602s for a number of years. The 602s were the precursors to the 685s and frankly I've not heard a bookshelf speaker that can touch it under 2k. I paid about $850 with stands 6-7 years ago. Obviously this is all fairly subjective but you really should check out the 685s.

Much appreciated, gents.

Both KEF and B&W keep entering my realm time and time again.

They may not be in the mix today, but tomorrow is another day. Truth be told, both have been in the fold MANY times during my research period. And there's no reason to think they won't be again.

As I said, my speaker buying process is quite fluid. And sometimes for a long period of time. I want the best bang for the buck.

BTW, J.A.W., those KEF speakers you linked to are anything but ugly. I think they're quite attractive.

I have the Dynaudio Focus 110's (combined with a old Accuphase E-206 amp) and I'm really in love with them. I don't know how much they cost in the U.S. though (I bought them second hand here for EUR900,- two/three years ago).

These are my first "serious" speakers, but I never had the feeling or urge to upgrade them. From start they gave me nothing but pure listening joy.

My KEFs will be delivered tomorrow. I'm told they have a break-in period of 100 hours, which means I'll have to play a lot of music before I can say anything about the sound. The price for a pair here is €990 or about $1,345.

Edited by J.A.W.

Bookshelf, snookshelf. What you need Scott, are a pair of behemoths that will absorb a huge footprint in your listening space and annoy your neighbors when you barely have the volume at 2. But they are supposed to sound fantastic:

a_New_Infinity_NoGrill02.jpg

..... for $1,500?

Naah, not even on Craigslist could you find those puppies below 2K.

I already have a 300watt, 15 inch sub that can take care of the neighbors. ;)

heh! :tup

I love B&W. I have a pair of Nautilus 805S speakers that you might find used for under $1500/pair but it's gotten harder since B&W's latest 805, the 805D with a diamond tweeter, is almost $6K/pair, making the older models more desirable.

These things look pretty sweet: http://www.needledoctor.com/Gamut-Phi-MK-III-Speakers. I wonder how they sound?

Bookshelf, snookshelf. What you need Scott, are a pair of behemoths that will absorb a huge footprint in your listening space and annoy your neighbors when you barely have the volume at 2. But they are supposed to sound fantastic:

a_New_Infinity_NoGrill02.jpg

That mantle and fireplace sure screw up the look of the room.

Ascend Acoustics

I've had a pair of Sierra 1s w/NrT for two years and could not be happier with them. The Sierra 2s are now available and I plan on going for the upgrade.

Unfortunately the company does not put much effort into the website and it needs to be updated, but they do have a forum section that discusses the new speakers. Before I bought mine, I called and spoke directly to the owner.

Heh... Just when I thought I had climbed out of the B&W pool you cats drag me back in!

FWIW, these were the ones I was initially looking at. The CM1

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/CM_Series/CM1.html

Anyone familiar with them?

I haven't heard the CM1's but I do like the 685's. I think they look better too.

Gentlemen, the funny part is how much we all think alike.

The sad part is how much all of these comments just throw me right back into the mud...

Please keep the comments and recommendations coming.

If nothing else, I'm pleased to know that I'm on the right track. I'll be shocked if I have new speakers before Christmas...

At least I have my outstanding PSB Speakers headphones in the meantime...

Edited by Scott Dolan

I haven't heard these but I've read glowing reviews and if I were in the market I'd order these immediately due to my several decades experience with this excellent company.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/DM945.html

Forum for these speakers:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=DM

Also, I believe that unlike any other Decware speaker or almost other product, there's no waiting on these at the moment.

Edited by jazzbo

I figure if a pair of speakers are bigger than my car, and probably weigh as much, they likely aren't for me.

My Polks aren't all that big, but even I'm getting tired of looking at them. I'm not even sure I'll even do floorstanders when I put my tube system together. Unless they were relatively small like the Decware speakers jazzbo has on his system. 12x12x34