Cannonball Adderley's Black Messiah

dougcrates

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have none of Cannonball's records except the one with Trane and the Davis rhythm section. I'll probably regret this sooner or later. The early sixties discs I previewed through the internet didn't do much for me at the time.

Would this be a good place to start correcting my neglect of Adderley's discography?

No, I don't think so. This is one to build up to.

Surely you have 'Something Else'? I think that 'Portrait of Cannonball' on Riverside is a great record and perhaps a good start. And depending on how you feel about Lateef, 'Nippon Soul' on Riverside might be another good entryway. I love both these albums.

I have none of Cannonball's records except the one with Trane and the Davis rhythm section. I'll probably regret this sooner or later. The early sixties discs I previewed through the internet didn't do much for me at the time.

Would this be a good place to start correcting my neglect of Adderley's discography?

At the "Quintet in San Francisco" recorded at the Jazz Workshop (Riverside) was my starting point and still amongst my favourite.

I actually think the 1959 San Francisco recording is somewhat overrated, as is the "Know What I Mean" album with Bill Evans. My faves with Cannonball (besides Somethin' Else) are Cannonball in Europe, Fiddler on the Roof, and Money in the Pocket. My opinion is Cannonball's bands got better once Yusef Lateef joined - there was some grit added to all that sweetness.

Edited by Guy

The early sixties discs I previewed through the internet didn't do much for me at the time.

I get where you're coming from. Even though it's a comp, you might try this one, especially if you can find it used:

MI0000412244.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I often find that I like Cannonball best when he's playing other people's compositions, or is in other people's bands. That said, this:

post-282-0-58418900-1392262866_thumb.jpg

is one of my favorite (early) Cannonball leader dates. Some great solos therein.

• 1 month later...

is one of my favorite (early) Cannonball leader dates. Some great solos therein.

Yeah, that one is great.

Cannonball+Adderley+-+Julian+%27Cannonba

It was reissued, at least in Europe, as a Mini-LP in the LPR series. It belongs, like Sharpshooters, to his early Emarcys. But my favorite, I think, is Quintet in Chicago with the Miles Davis band (himself included), sans Miles. And maybe also Somethin Else.

I love Cannon and I love Evans, but I've never really loved "Know What I Mean." But I'll keep trying.

Japan issued a handful of the Capitol albums in the early part of the decade but stopped before "Black Messiah." So I'm glad Dusty Groove has leased it.

That was an LPR digipak in the US.

The LPR series initially came out over here, in Europe, as Mini-LPs (with their own kind-of-OBIs), but after Universal's accountants found out how costly they were to make (they sold for around 12 € and were not as wildly priced as in Japan), the company switched to Digipaks. So later LPRs are Digipaks. LPR, which AFAIK stands for LP Reproduction. The Digipaks are nice still. They capture the cover very well. I have examples of both.