Cannonball Adderley's Black Messiah

dougcrates

“Messiah” is all over the place, kudos to Adderley to being open to  all of it. I heard that edition of the quintet a few times, in more “formal” settings, and they were much more focused, delivering their usual set (“Oh Babe,” “Mercy”)  - they always opened with “Black Messiah,” though, and, and between that tune and Adderley’s monologues, took up most of the set!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 3:34 PM, JSngry said:

Remedy that, please (that's a friendly suggestion in the form of an imperative ... ). It's the one that is TOTALLY all over the map. Talk about taking a trip ...

R-13959438-1565011560-9592.jpeg.jpg

Remedied today. I will freely confess: I previously gave this album a bad rap based on essentially cursory listens. Not anymore. This album is an EXPERIENCE. For one, when Cannonball solos, it's burning. No prisoners. You do have to bend your ear to dig Nat Jr.'s vocals, but the guy was only 15! Nat Sr.'s vocals, however, are some of his best. Is he a singer? I don't know; probably not. But "Pra Dizer Adeus" is affecting, in an emotional way, nonetheless. (Just imagine Chet Baker singing that song.) I will now go on record as stating that I am IN to this album. Cannonball, not that anyone disagrees, was a badass.

What about the Nast A&M/CTI records? Have their been at least Japanese issues of those two?

Very much "niche" items in every way (especially musically), but I'd love to have them in good digital form in some form or fashion, along with the gorgeous album covers (even if in reduced size)

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

What about the A&M/CTI records? Have there been at least Japanese issues of those two?

You, Baby was reissued on compact disc in Japan in 1987 and 1992. Would be nice to have it available again!

R-8402874-1548015622-8628.jpeg.jpg

Same (1987, 1992 Japanese compact disc) with Calling Out Loud:

R-11867208-1523776004-1006.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

So, like, almost 30 years ago? That's been it?

For the CD era, I believe so.

I've been listening to them on YouTube and enjoying ... thanks for the heads-up. :tup I have a lot of catching up to do with Nat Adderley.