'80s Punk and New Wave stars today

GA Russell

The site is stupid. People age - so what?

I agree with Cliff. These are artists who created and performed music that a lot of us really enjoyed. Focusing on their physical appearance is shallow, something one sees in tabloids while waiting in line at the grocery store. To find a thread here that furthers this kind of discussion is disappointing. How about creating some threads that expose the natural process of aging in some of our favorite jazz artists?

Agreed with Scott.

This is not a discussion of people like Marlene Dietrich, Howard Hughes and their ilk who shied the flashlights like no others.

At best (or worst) pictures like this are a mirror to our own selves who have aged in the past 30 years too. And if those who do not like facing that fact when looking in their bathroom mirror each morning gain a little bit of comfort from the fact that, hey, the bigwigs and "celebs" age just as well - then who is to blame them for it? Particularly if people like you and me (and the honestly ageing celebs) get more and more wrinkles but still fare better than those who try to evade the inevitable via botox or surgeons and end up with botched, caricaturesque faces that REALLY make them the laughingstocks of their surroundings (if you'd be honest).

And besides, who hasn't snickered at the faces of the "undead" such as Keith Richards and STILL admire them for the energy they still can muster?

BTW, hasn't this subject has been discussed with jazz artists too?

Agreed with Scott.

This is not a discussion of people like Marlene Dietrich, Howard Hughes and their ilk who shied the flashlights like no others.

At best (or worst) pictures like this are a mirror to our own selves who have aged in the past 30 years too. And if those who do not like facing that fact when looking in their bathroom mirror each morning gain a little bit of comfort from the fact that, hey, the bigwigs and "celebs" age just as well - then who is to blame them for it? Particularly if people like you and me (and the honestly ageing celebs) get more and more wrinkles but still fare better than those who try to evade the inevitable via botox or surgeons and end up with botched, caricaturesque faces that REALLY make them the laughingstocks of their surroundings (if you'd be honest).

And besides, who hasn't snickered at the faces of the "undead" such as Keith Richards and STILL admire them for the energy they still can muster?

BTW, hasn't this subject has been discussed with jazz artists too?

All great points. It's not as though these are a bunch of TMZ-style gotcha pics. They were all tastefully and respectfully done.

And yes, watching cats like The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney still get out there and kick ass on a nightly basis is pretty astonishing. Hell, I'm only 43 and wish I had their energy level now!

Toni Basil

I had general knowledge that Toni Basil had had some kind of a career as a choreographer prior to "Micky", but had no idea what kind...so, I'm watching The T.A.M.I. Show last night & noticed that Toni Basil was Assistant Choreographer. And according to this http://madamepickwickartblog.com/2012/02/semina-culture/ she and Terri Garr were some kind of cutting edge dancers on the L.A. scene of the time (and both can be seen in The T.A.M.I. Show as well).

artwork_images_972_533354_dennis-hopper.

This is pretty interesting too:

Toni Basil and Davy Jones; her choreography as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PNfnNBDatY

Bob Rafelson must have really liked her, as he also gave her a part in EASY RIDER (she's one of the girls who does acid with our heroes in the NO graveyard).

Edited by Joe