Jimmy Giuffre 3&4 - New York Concerts 1965

colinmce

This spring a 2xCD set containing two 1965 concerts by Jimmy Giuffre will be released. Concert 1 is from Judson Hall 9/3/65 with Richard Davis & Joe Chambers. Concert 2 is from Columbia University 5/19/65 with Don Friedmann, Chambers, & Barre Phillips.

Not sure on the label or exact release date. I got this info from an Instagram post by Fully Altered Media and will try to link the photo of the CD later. This is terribly exciting news.

Edited by colinmce

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, you should hear the Soul Note albums (if you haven't), then. Happy Jimmy is back, only this time he's got something vaguely resembling Weather Report behind him. Didn't see THAT one coming!

The guy was the eptiomic marcher-to-his-own-drummer-er, he really was, especially in bands where there was no drummer!

There's a much-accomplished olde/wise/experienced guy around here who claims to have known Giuffre waaaay back in the day who says to blame it all on Wesley LaViolette. I take that with several grains of salt, but it just goes to show you that even some of the old guys were getting perplexed by Giuffre before some of us were even born.

If I read that Jimmy Giuffre's widow is receiving royalties, and if I read that the sound is good, I might go for this. Otherwise, I'll let it go.

Guess I'm a spoil sport.

Jimmy Giuffre's widow managed to buy a can of ravioli and two spoons due to the immense royalties that this set created. Really: what world do you live in? Or was this just an abysmal attempt at a joke?