Jimmy Giuffre 3&4 - New York Concerts 1965

colinmce

If I read that Jimmy Giuffre's widow is receiving royalties, and if I read that the sound is good, I might go for this. Otherwise, I'll let it go.

Guess I'm a spoil sport.

Jimmy Giuffre's widow managed to buy a can of ravioli and two spoons due to the immense royalties that this set created. Really: what world do you live in? Or was this just an abysmal attempt at a joke?

I guess I'm more of a humorist than I imagined.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first read about the trio with Richard Davis and Joe Chambers in 1996. I always wondered what that trio would sound like. Now we have a chance to at least hear it.

Is Juanita Giuffre still with us? I dig her painting "Yggdrasil" — I believe it was supposed to be the cover art for Free Fall, and then was relegated to postage-stamp size.

Now if we could hear the Giuffre-Don Pullen-Cecil McBee trio ... (I know; too greedy).

If I read that Jimmy Giuffre's widow is receiving royalties, and if I read that the sound is good, I might go for this. Otherwise, I'll let it go.

Guess I'm a spoil sport.

Jimmy Giuffre's widow managed to buy a can of ravioli and two spoons due to the immense royalties that this set created. Really: what world do you live in? Or was this just an abysmal attempt at a joke?

I must admit that I understand Paul's position more than yours. Are you saying that if a CD release is not likely to sell much, the record company is absolved of the responsibility to pay royalties?

Today I mailed a check for $31.50 for a mechanical license to issue a Steve Lacy composition I had recorded, based on the 300 copies I am having pressed - probably a 10-year supply of inventory. I guess that the Lacy estate will get half of that. Yes, in a sense that's ridiculous, but I didn't really have the right to not pay it.

The right this to do is still the right thing to do, even if the effects are minimal.

I thought about my Dad reading Paul's posts. He's written and published five biographies, and they haven't been best-sellers though they are solid scholarly works and have had an impact on the knowledge base around their subjects. Once or twice a year he'll get a royalty check from the publisher of two of these that are still in print and selling a trickle here and there. These checks are like 17 dollars. But they sure bring a smile to his face, not for the dollars per se, but because the work is still being used and out there, that makes him happy.

I'm sure some of the artists and/or their family receiving checks feel that same bit of joy when they get a check.

Edited by jazzbo

I thought about my Dad reading Paul's posts. He's written and published five biographies, and they haven't been best-sellers though they are solid scholarly works and have had an impact on the knowledge base around their subjects. Once or twice a year he'll get a royalty check from the publisher of two of these that are still in print and selling a trickle here and there. These checks are like 17 dollars. But they sure bring a smile to his face, not for the dollars per se, but because the work is still being used and out there, that makes him happy.

I'm sure some of the artists and/or their family receiving checks feel that same bit of joy when they get a check.

Jimmy Giuffre is dead, your dad thankfully alive. There is a difference there. Of course it is great if an artist receives the royalties he is entitled to, especially because too many do not. I am bit partial about "estates" receiving royalties. I could not care less if children of an artist receive royalities. Spouses are a different story.

It is nice, if you are able to contact people and find out, if someone is receiving royalities. However this is not practical for most releases. I bought an Laura Nyro live recording and of course I have no idea if anyone is receiving royalties. To base your purchasing decision on something you cannot influence is a bit strange. Who knows what deals artist may have signed in their lifetime.

Edited by nail75

• 2 months later...

Available for pre-order at Amazon.I ordered my set from a British cd vendor in the hopes it will be released sooner over there.Really looking forward to this, now that i know it's a legit release, with booklet notes by Paul Bley.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/125585-newly-discovered-1965-jimmy-giuffre-concert-to-be-released

Edited by walt

Jimmy Giuffre is dead, your dad thankfully alive. There is a difference there. Of course it is great if an artist receives the royalties he is entitled to, especially because too many do not. I am bit partial about "estates" receiving royalties. I could not care less if children of an artist receive royalities. Spouses are a different story.

It is nice, if you are able to contact people and find out, if someone is receiving royalities. However this is not practical for most releases. I bought an Laura Nyro live recording and of course I have no idea if anyone is receiving royalties. To base your purchasing decision on something you cannot influence is a bit strange. Who knows what deals artist may have signed in their lifetime.

You are however influencing things if you buy illegitimate recordings--you are fostering more of them. And influencing whether an official release may be made.

It's a complicated thing and I'm no saint. . .but I do hold off on buying often for a handful of reasons.

Just downloaded this from emusic yesterday. It's a winner. Excellent sound on both dates and they fill in a BIG part of the story of Giuffre's wilderness years (wilderness as in not recording). The quartet is particularly fine, and is even more impressive than the 1964 trio recording from Paris with Friedman and Phillips, with Chambers adding a lot to the party. There are shades of Free Fall (a favourite of mine) and Friedman's quartet recordings with Attilla Zoller, but the ensemble has it's own character and the interaction is at a high level. The trio was apparently a one-off and is inevitably looser, but it warms up as it progresses, and Davis is stunning! I look forward to other views. Let's hope there are more recordings of Giuffre and others from this source, and fingers crossed that the trio with Pullen was documented somehow/sometime. It's heartening that there are folk out there willing to put this kind of material out (legitimately) and with real care.