Reissues from Sony Japan

Daniel A

I wonder whether there will be further releases in this series. I hope so, as there are a few Columbia or RCA records that could use a CD or remaster treatment -- e.g. Gerry Mulligan's "What is There to Say?", a couple more Jazz Lab records from Donald Byrd & Gigi Gryce, Nick Travis's "The Panic is On", Tony Scott's records, and some rarely-issued Dave Brubeck. All would be very welcome.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The penny finally drops ;) .

I assume the extra tracks are the rest of the elusive Miles! Miles! Miles! Japan-only release.

PS this new edition is on Spotify.

I tried to work it out and it appears the new edition carries the extra tunes from Miles! x 3 only where these tunes don't appear on We Want Miles. So these are Ursula, Aida, Fat Time. Alternatives of Back Street Betty and My Man's Gone Now are not included.

Edited by David Ayers

Okay I did some research.

Two cd versions of We Want Miles were released four times in Japan:

SRCS 9133/4

SICP 1235/6

SRCS 9763/4

SICP 20084 (Blu-Spec)

From this page: http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Mastersound.html

I own one of these. However, I was mistaken, these do not have bonus tracks. What I was thinking of was the one in the Complete Album Collection box set, that has bonus tracks. That was what I was thinking of. This new reissue seems to be the same as the version in the Coplete Album Collection.

Ah! Thanks Lon. I was wondering if it was in the Complete Collection, which I don't own. The extra music is not so very essential, probably, but the current release is not very expensive so...

I think they could have included at least one of the omitted alternates, but maybe these are just not all that good - that Miles! x3 seems to be one of the least distributed official Miles title ever.

I have Miles! Miles! Miles! and it's never done that much for me. . . I really am not a big fan of this band or period of Miles. I was so excited when these came out. . .and disappointed as it seemed to me at the time there wasn't much to the music he came back with. And though I've learned to like some of the albums (Star People especially) I don't really like the live stuff with Miller and Stern.

You never know. Opinions on music are so varied. Plus there are other factors. . . sentimental reasons, nostalgic reasons. If this had come out when I was ecstatically happy I might have felt initially, and sequentially different about it. It came out though when I was poor and lonely and poring over ancient texts. :) Not a time period I feel a great saudade for. :) But I can see where this may have been an entry point into jazz for someone younger and a recording that is often revisited.

Well, I had never heard the two Van Dijk (Van Dyke on one of them) releases in this series so I ordered them from cdjapan and they arrived today. (I also ordered a newer title of his).

These sound very nice, and according to the obi these are 2014 DSD remasters. Which makes me think perhaps the entire series is? And if so. .. I may get a few more.

I wonder whether there will be further releases in this series. I hope so, as there are a few Columbia or RCA records that could use a CD or remaster treatment -- e.g. Gerry Mulligan's "What is There to Say?", a couple more Jazz Lab records from Donald Byrd & Gigi Gryce, Nick Travis's "The Panic is On", Tony Scott's records, and some rarely-issued Dave Brubeck. All would be very welcome.

Is that Gerry Mulligan CD hard to find; I recall this one quite a bit in the used bin at Amoeba in Los Angeles.

The Nick Travis was on RCA (reissued by Fresh Sound; don't know if it's still in print); would it be in this series?

Well, I had never heard the two Van Dijk (Van Dyke on one of them) releases in this series so I ordered them from cdjapan and they arrived today. (I also ordered a newer title of his).

These sound very nice, and according to the obi these are 2014 DSD remasters. Which makes me think perhaps the entire series is? And if so. .. I may get a few more.

I got both Phil Wood releases which are "2006 &^%$$" ; however both Barney Willen CDs as well as the Satchmo Town Hall concert and Charlie Parker A Night at Birdlan are 2014 DSD remasters.

Thanks alexandros!

well, good on ye, lon! tasteful little trio dates, aren't they?

They're nice. I'm not always in the mood for this type of trio date, but when I am they'll be nice to spin.

Also, O. Coleman's "Chappaqua Suite" is "2014 DSD", while Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite/Peer Gynt Suites/Thursday Suite is "1992 #$#!@"

Is that Gerry Mulligan CD hard to find; I recall this one quite a bit in the used bin at Amoeba in Los Angeles.

The Nick Travis was on RCA (reissued by Fresh Sound; don't know if it's still in print); would it be in this series?

The old 1980's Mulligan from Columbia is quite easy to find. But the sound leaves much to be desired. Very flat and metallic. I would love a new remaster. I've never seen the Fresh Sound Travis, but I doubt that it is legit. I don't see why it can't be in this series as it is RCA, there have been plenty of RCA recordings in this series.

The old 1980's Mulligan from Columbia is quite easy to find. But the sound leaves much to be desired. Very flat and metallic. I would love a new remaster. I've never seen the Fresh Sound Travis, but I doubt that it is legit. I don't see why it can't be in this series as it is RCA, there have been plenty of RCA recordings in this series.

I see, yes (regarding RCA, Wilen & Blakey, etc.).

As to the Fresh Sound RCA, many were reissued while within copyright maybe 15 years ago. They were promoted extensively by Fresh Sound using the RCA logo. I recall discussions here, or on the predecssor board, regarding those reissues and their legitimacy (although I may be misremembering after all this time).

I see, yes (regarding RCA, Wilen & Blakey, etc.).

I've never seen the Fresh Sound Travis, but I doubt that it is legit. I don't see why it can't be in this series as it is RCA, there have been plenty of RCA recordings in this series.

As to the Fresh Sound RCA, many were reissued while within copyright maybe 15 years ago. They were promoted extensively by Fresh Sound using the RCA logo. I recall discussions here, or on the predecssor board, regarding those reissues and their legitimacy (although I may be misremembering after all this time).

No you don't. This was discussed here. I have a lot of the Fresh Sound RCA vinyl reissues from the 80s (though not the "Panic Is On", unfortunately, but for the meantime am content with an original 50s pressing cardboard sleeve 2-EP set of that LP - though it's missing a track or so from the LP contents). Fresh Sound did indeed use the (then-current) RCA logo widely on their reissues at that time and quite a few of these reissues even carried stickers on the back cover that specifically said something like "Reissued by Fresh Sound by special agreement/with special permission of RCA" (or so - just like many of their reissues of labels then owned by WEA carried similar stickers). It may be hard to believe for those who are suspicious of any European reissues (except UK, strangely ;) ) but I find it exceedingly hard to fathom that FS would have gone so far as to make such claims if they were all bogus. No doubt they would have gotten themselves into very hot water and above all would have left an all too easily traceable (and unncecessarily obvious) trail with such stickers, claims and small prints.

In short - like it or not - there have always been European reissue labels that were far, far more adventurous than their US counterparts among the majors that apparently just sat it out because the immediate and easily calculable benefits weren't large enough to them.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Yes, I bought plenty of their CD re-issues of RCA artists such as Shorty Rogers, Dave Pell etc. They sound pretty good to me.

• 1 month later...

I had the Ornette Chappaqua Suite 2 CD delivered this week, and am very happy with the music and sound quality. 2014 DSD remaster according to the obi.

Any opinions on the three Blakey Au Club Saint Germain albums? I have and enjoy the Blue Note Birdland and Cafe Bohemia albums.