Reissues from Sony Japan

Daniel A

I haven't ordered the Plugged Nickel so haven't heard it. I'm covered with those dates including the US two lp set, three Japanese css, the Complete Album Collection, the US and Japanese box sets.

I got in the Duke Ellington at the Plaza today. . .all new 2014 DSD mastering.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been getting interested in blu-spec2 releases lately.

I noticed Mingus Ah Um is the original edited LP version! I almost missed that. Also on my wish list is Sonny Rollins's Now's the Time.

This weekend, I ordered E.S.P., Miles Smiles, Sorcerer and Nefertiti. After hearing FLAC rips of the 2006 DSD mini-lps I became convinced the current Japanese editions are the best versions around of the remixed albums. The Japanese Agharta 2006 DSD remaster of the vinyl mix (now on blu-spec2) is also better than The Complete Columbia Albums version.

It is a bit puzzling that these Japanese editions should often be better than the US/EU CDs. For TCCAC Wilder supposedly tweaked previous Japanese remasters, but they sound worse for it. The strange thing is Wilder is also responsible for most Japanese remasters (he did not do Agharta and Pangaea I think).

Edited by erwbol

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed Mingus Ah Um is the original edited LP version! I almost missed that. Also on my wish list is Sonny Rollins's Now's the Time.

This weekend, I ordered E.S.P., Miles Smiles, Sorcerer and Nefertiti. After hearing FLAC rips of the 2006 DSD mini-lps I became convinced the current Japanese editions are the best versions around of the remixed albums. The Japanese Agharta 2006 DSD remaster of the vinyl mix (now on blu-spec2) is also better than The Complete Columbia Albums version.

It is a bit puzzling that these Japanese editions should often be better than the US/EU CDs. For TCCAC Wilder supposedly tweaked previous Japanese remasters, but they sound worse for it. The strange thing is Wilder is also responsible for most Japanese remasters (he did not do Agharta and Pangaea I think).

Well, all Miles titles I ordered are in and I have changed my position somewhat.

Some of the blu-spec2s use 2006 DSD mastering. Others use masterings from 2000 & 2001. There are clear differences in the choices Mark Wilder made for the Japanese market in the early 2000s and 2006, and in 2009 and later for the US/EU market. There is really not a bad disc among these blu-spec2s or in TCCAC, but in some cases I do have a clear preference.

The most unexpected are the 2006 remasters which are very much toned down in the highs and less loud compared to Wilder's late nineties/early 2000s work. So much so, that by 2009s TCCAC the highs seem less rolled off than in 2006. The E.S.P. blu-spec2 is the one 2006 DSD remaster among the titles I bought, but I also listened to a FLAC rip on CD-R of the 2006 DSD remaster of Someday My Prince Will Come.

The 2006 DSD of Wilder's Bitches Brew remix I listened to (FLAC rip) is much less loud than the blu-spec2 (2000 remaster) and also the 2009 40th Anniversary. (TCCAC uses the original mix.)

Then there is the case of the superb MFSL hybrid SACDs which are all winners, some using quite differing original mixes.

Well, all Miles titles I ordered are in and I have changed my position somewhat.

Some of the blu-spec2s use 2006 DSD mastering. Others use masterings from 2000 & 2001. There are clear differences in the choices Mark Wilder made for the Japanese market in the early 2000s and 2006, and in 2009 and later for the US/EU market. There is really not a bad disc among these blu-spec2s or in TCCAC, but in some cases I do have a clear preference.

The most unexpected are the 2006 remasters which are very much toned down in the highs and less loud compared to Wilder's late nineties/early 2000s work. So much so, that by 2009s TCCAC the highs seem less rolled off than in 2006. The E.S.P. blu-spec2 is the one 2006 DSD remaster among the titles I bought, but I also listened to a FLAC rip on CD-R of the 2006 DSD remaster of Someday My Prince Will Come.

The 2006 DSD of Wilder's Bitches Brew remix I listened to (FLAC rip) is much less loud than the blu-spec2 (2000 remaster) and also the 2009 40th Anniversary. (TCCAC uses the original mix.)

Then there is the case of the superb MFSL hybrid SACDs which are all winners, some using quite differing original mixes.

thnx for sharing your impressions - could you be a little more specific reg your listening experiences reg Miles Smiles, Sorcerer and Nefertiti (aka masters used - are these the 20Bit Mark Wilder remasters featured in

Miles Davis Quintet 1965-'68: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings

and loudness etc) ?

Edited by soulpope

thnx for sharing your impressions - could you be a little more specific reg your listening experiences reg Miles Smiles, Sorcerer and Nefertiti (aka masters used - are these the 20Bit Mark Wilder remasters featured in

and loudness etc) ?

Miles Smiles: 2000 remaster

Sorcerer: 2001 remaster

Nefertiti: 2001 remaster

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Mastersound.html

According to the above link to Losin's site these were all DSD remasters.

Comparing a track or two from each release to the metal spine set these are not a great departure from the set you already have. I gave them a somewhat superficial listen on headphones, but loudness & sound are about the same. I would not recommend getting these blu-spec2s if you have the US/EU SBM releases as single discs or in the metal spine box. The similarities could be explained by Wilder's preferences at that point in time.

Since TCCAC is OOP and no longer available at bargain price I would only recommend anyone getting some of the MFSL hybrid SACDs if they want (radically) different sounding remasters of familiar material. And these MFSLs surely sound as good as it will get.

Edited by erwbol

and loudness etc) ?

Miles Smiles: 2000 remaster (*)

Sorcerer: 2001 remaster (*)

Nefertiti: 2001 remaster (*)

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Mastersound.html

According to the above link to Losin's site these were all DSD remasters.

Comparing a track or two from each release to the metal spine set these are not a great departure from the set you already have. I gave them a somewhat superficial listen on headphones, but loudness & sound are about the same. I would not recommend getting these blu-spec2s if you have the US/EU SBM releases as single discs or in the metal spine box. The similarities could be explained by Wilder's preferences at that point in time.

Since TCCAC is OOP and no longer available at bargain price I would only recommend anyone getting some of the MFSL hybrid SACDs if they want (radically) different sounding remasters of familiar material. And these MFSLs surely sound as good as it will get.

thnx for the in-depth explanation/clarification :tup !!

EDIT : As I saw these in the net as "Pre-orders" , were these three (*) already released as MFSL Hybrid SACD`s ?

Edited by soulpope

I didn't think MFSL would be doing Miles Smiles. Have they added it to their planned releases? Where did you find this pre-order info?

Released by MFSL so far:

'Round About Midnight (mono)

Milestones (mono)

Sketches Of Spain

My Funny Valentine

Four And More

In A Silent Way

Bitches Brew

Planned:

Kind Of Blue

Sorcerer

Nefertiti

Miles In The Sky

Filles De Kilimanjaro

Jack Johnson

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bumping this up because the first batch is about to disappear from CDJapan and I want to get in on this while still available. I am going to get the two Wilens. Just curious about these, which I do not have originals of:
Gigi Gryce & Don Byrd - Jazz Lab SICP-3988 2014-02-12
Horace Silver - Silver's Blue SICP-4029 2014-03-12
Phil Woods = Gene Quill - Phil And Quill SICP-4037 2014-03-12
Art Blakey: A Night In Tunisia

For you experts on CDJapan (I have only made one order previously). If I order this along those forthcoming BNs, which come out after the drop dead date on these, will I lose out?

Since I am sending this long, question-filled post, any thoughts on any of these:

Denny Zeitlin - Live At The Trident [Japan LTD CD] SICP-4219 [i dig the Mosaic - I asume I will dig this?]
Phil Woods = Gene Quill - Phil Talks With Quill [Japan LTD CD] SICP-4214
Sadao Watanabe - Round Trip [Japan LTD CD] SICP-4233
Barney Wilen - Tilt +6 [Japan LTD CD] SICP-4197
The Jazz Messengers
Mulligan: What Is There To Say

Sorry for the long post - if you want to PM me instead, that would be great. Any help is really appreciated.

For you experts on CDJapan (I have only made one order previously). If I order this along those forthcoming BNs, which come out after the drop dead date on these, will I lose out?

No, they will simply hold back those titles for you as soon as they come in until your order can be completed. You can see in your order history whether they have arrived yet. It will say 'In Stock', but that will be solely for you.

Edited by erwbol

Denny Zeitlin - Live At The Trident [Japan LTD CD] SICP-4219 [i dig the Mosaic - I asume I will dig this?]

Barney Wilen - Tilt +6 [Japan LTD CD] SICP-41

These are excellent und unreservedly recommended...

Bumping this up because the first batch is about to disappear from CDJapan and I want to get in on this while still available. I am going to get the two Wilens. Just curious about these, which I do not have originals of:

Phil Woods = Gene Quill - Phil And Quill SICP-4037 2014-03-12

Art Blakey: A Night In Tunisia

Since I am sending this long, question-filled post, any thoughts on any of these:

Phil Woods = Gene Quill - Phil Talks With Quill [Japan LTD CD] SICP-4214

Sadao Watanabe - Round Trip [Japan LTD CD] SICP-4233

Barney Wilen - Tilt +6 [Japan LTD CD] SICP-4197

The Jazz Messengers

Mulligan: What Is There To Say

Sorry for the long post - if you want to PM me instead, that would be great. Any help is really appreciated.

That Jazz Messengers album is one of the greatest albums in the entire jazz canon. Not to be missed. Would be worth it for "Nica's Dream" alone, but there's much more greatness also. That being said, the domestic Columbia CD is fine and has wonderful bonus material, you don't need an import.

Looks like HMV has some of these reduced as well (if I can only figure out how to order).

Incidentally, anyone heard the complete Jazz Lab by our boy Jordi? I assume a rip off piece of crap?

It'll do in a pinch. But it's no Sony Japan reissue.

This one?

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/jazz/detail/-/art/Donald-Byrd-Gigi-Gryce-The-Complete-Jazz-Lab-Sessions-Limited-Edition/hnum/3351040

8436542012195.jpg

Edited by Alexandros