Daniel A

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious about these, which I do not have originals of:

Art Blakey: A Night In Tunisia

Mulligan: What Is There To Say

The Blakey has three bonus tracks — one alternate, and two tracks from a different session ("Off The Wall" and "Theory of Art"). Make sure to also check out SICP 4027 — Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers Play Lerner & Loewe — as this has some burning Johnny Griffin on it, and it has SIX bonus tracks. For the price, both Blakeys are well worth it.

The Mulligan is a very subdued, mellow session. Well-recorded, however, and the added conga is a nice touch.

The Mulligan is a very subdued, mellow session. Well-recorded, however, and the added conga is a nice touch.

Oops — I was thinking of Jeru — that's the one with the conga. What Is There To Say? is excellent, though I could do without another version of "My Funny Valentine."

Another one placed before the 3/20 expiration date:

SICP-3980 Thelonious Monk / Piano Solo+1 [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]
SICP-3988 Gigi Gryce & Don Byrd / Jazz Lab [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]
SICP-4025 Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers / A Night In Tunisia [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]
SICP-4027 Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers / The Jazz Messengers Play Lerner And Loewe [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]
SICP-4029 Horace Silver / Silver's Blue [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]
SICP-4037 Phil Woods = Gene Quill / Phil And Quill [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]
SICP-4039 Erroll Garner / Soliloquy [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]
SICP-4051 John Lewis / Sensitive Scenery [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]
SICP-4058 Duke Ellington / Masterpieces By Ellington [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]
SICP-4214 Phil Woods & Gene Quill / Phil Talks With Quill [Limited Pressing]

Just received 3 discs from these series. For those interested, Bud Powell's "Swingin with Bud" mentions 2002 transfer, "Strictly Powell" 2004, and Don Ellis At Fillmore fresh DSD 2014.

Also, the Bue-spec2 cds of Louis plays WC Handy and Powell's "A portrait of Thelonious" carry 2005 DSD transfer.

Edited by Alexandros

Just received 3 discs from these series. For those interested, Bud Powell's "Swingin with Bud" mentions 2002 transfer, "Strictly Powell" 2004, and Don Ellis At Fillmore fresh DSD 2014.

Also, the Bue-spec2 cds of Louis plays WC Handy and Powell's "A portrait of Thelonious" carry 2005 DSD transfer.

The Louis Armstrong Blu Spec CD-2, sounds wonderful - better than the 1999 SACD. Fuller and easier to the ears. The whole family enjoyed it at loud levels. I wonder where this 2005 DSD transfer comes from. The Legacy transfer is from the 90s. Perhaps, the japanese remastered it in 2005? Anybody could guess?

Edit: it seems that there has been a 2005 release from Japan (incl. the Legacy bonus tracks, that are omitted from the 2014 Blu Spec 2 cd):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plays-W-C-Handy-Louis-Armstrong/dp/B0007OE5D2/ref=sr_1_15?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1425840508&sr=1-15&keywords=louis+armstrong+handy

Edited by Alexandros

• 2 weeks later...

This japanese DSD 2014 "SICP-3988 Gigi Gryce & Don Byrd / Jazz Lab [Limited Pressing] [Priced-down Reissue]" is a wonderful session that I did not happen to know.

and it sounds so much better than the Collectables version!!

... and the complete session on Lonehill?

• 3 months later...

no pics of the covers for the first 2 frames (latest 100) on my web browsers (Safari & Firefox) - frames 3, 4 & 5 are OK (previous releases)

have no idea what the releases are

tried CD Japan future releases - not listed there yet

Ah well, it's a long time until November........

• 1 month later...

thnx for sharing your impressions - could you be a little more specific reg your listening experiences reg Miles Smiles, Sorcerer and Nefertiti (aka masters used - are these the 20Bit Mark Wilder remasters featured in

Miles Davis Quintet 1965-'68: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings

and loudness etc) ?

Listening to the Blu-spec CD2 of Miles Smiles (2000 remaster, remix) on my current speakers instead of headphones I appreciate the detailed spacious sound with a nice shimmer on top from the cymbals. Definitely my preferred version. A pleasant surprise as this title will not be reissued my MFSL.

For Sorcerer and Nefertiti the MFSLs with the quite different original mixes. (I believe the Miles Smiles remix was not a radical departure from the original anyway.)

Edited by erwbol

I was able to download the 2000 DSD remaster (SRCS-9709; first mini-LP, thereafter jewel case) of E.S.P. and I can now understand why Wilder revisited that title for another DSD remaster in 2006. The 2000 DSD is ridiculously shrill. Miles' trumpet is so piercing it hurts your ears. It's just too much. Could be how it was recorded? Like for Kind of Blue where according to Wilder they had to tone Miles' trumpet down.

The Complete Columbia Album Collection version has a bit more of the top end intact compared to the 2006 DSD, but in other respects I believe I might prefer the 2006 DSD included on the Blu-spec CD2.

Guess we should really have separate threads for those that want to know what rare albums are part of these series ... stuff gets buried so fast in these BluSpec vs. SACD vs. whatever discussions I keep losing track :)

Some albums I'd be interested in include these:

• Lenny Hambro: Message from Hambro
  • Lenny Hambro: Nature of Things
  • Dave Pike: Pike's Peak
  • Gary Burton: New Vibe Man in Town
  • Gary Burton: Something's Coming!
  • Dave Brubeck: Jackpot
  • Dave Brubeck: In Amsterdam
  • Teddy Wilson: Mr. Wilson
  • Teddy Wilson: And Then They Wrote
  • Monica Zetterlund: The Lost Tapes at Bell Sound Studios NYC
  • Kimiko Kasai: Thanks Dear
  • Kimiko Kasai: Tokyo Special
  • Kimiko Kasai: In Person
  • Charles Lloyd: Nirvana
  • Charles Lloyd: Discovery
  • Curtis Fuller: South American Cookin'
  • Curtis Fuller: The Magnificent Trombone of Curtis Fuller
  • Ray Bryant: Little Susie
  • Charlie Rouse/Seldon Powell: We Paid Our Dues

Any yays and nays?

I enjoy Verve period Wilson quite some, gather these two would be similar?

As for Rouse/Powell, I've got the Epic/US/whatever reissue of "Yeah.", so I think only the Powell half would be new to me ... worth it?

And then Kimiko Kasai ... all I know is the album she made with Herbie Hancoc - how do these three compare?

• Gary Burton: Something's Coming

Any yays and nays?

For me, at least, the Pike is a nay. The miking somehow picks up Pike's "chanting" to a level where it competes with the instrument. Perhaps not a problem for some, but I find it disturbing. And while it could have been refreshing to hear Bill Evans on up-tempo material in a non-trio context I find his contributions to be far below, for example, the George Russell "N.Y." album (which admittedly is tremendous). It may be ten years since I actually listened to the album. I might try it in the car tonight when I'm going to the recycling station. :)

The Burton is better in my opinion, but ultimately more enjoyable for Jim Hall's playing than Burton's, who I believe still was in his teens. Nothing really sticks out that would make me want to pull this album from the shelf.

•  
  • Gary Burton: Something's Coming

Any yays and nays?

For me, at least, the Pike is a nay. The miking somehow picks up Pike's "chanting" to a level where it competes with the instrument. Perhaps not a problem for some, but I find it disturbing. And while it could have been refreshing to hear Bill Evans on up-tempo material in a non-trio context I find his contributions to be far below, for example, the George Russell "N.Y." album (which admittedly is tremendous). It may be ten years since I actually listened to the album. I might try it in the car tonight when I'm going to the recycling station. :)

The Burton is better in my opinion, but ultimately more enjoyable for Jim Hall's playing than Burton's, who I believe still was in his teens. Nothing really sticks out that would make me want to pull this album from the shelf.

ha ha ... actually I have a couw burn of the Pike - but rather than leaving at the recycling station I'd pass it on to a friend :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!

• 3 weeks later...