Which artists have you seen live the most?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mat Maneri 4 times with his dad Joe

Probably about 10-12 times the last 3-4 years

Tony Malaby probably 12-15 times the last 4 years

Peter Brotzmann probably 8-10 times the last 15 years

Han Bennink 6-8 times the last 15 years

Andrew Cyrille 10-12 times those last 15 years

Hamid Drake 12-15 times those last 15 years

Gerry Hemingway 8-10 times the last 15 years

Least for those I love:

Barry Guy - once

Mark Sanders - once

Alexander Von Schlippenbach - once

Paul Lovens - once

Never have I seen:

Louis Moholo-Moholo

John Edwards

The only journal I've ever kept is of my New Orleans visits; I realized pretty early on that I wanted a record of where I went and who I heard on my annual (and sometimes more-than-annual) visits. I see to my surprise that I've seen the Preservation Hall Jazz Band 37 times - 32 times at the Hall and five times on tour. Of course, that may not really mean anything, since the "Preservation Hall Jazz Band" is a brand more than it is a band - it was a different band almost every time. But among those concerts, I heard Percy Humphrey four times and Willie Humphrey three times, and those shows were as meaningful as all the others put together.

I heard my hero, Steve Lacy, seven times. That may not sound like much, but - he's been dead for nearly ten years (which still seems hard to believe), he lived in Europe for most of my life, and I never heard him outside of the Deep South. So that's not bad. I'm grateful for each of those occasions.

Probably Kenny Wheeler and John Taylor in the jazz world. Though I imagine the record would go for a bass player like Andy Cleyndert or a drummer like Seb Rochford who seem to turn up backing all manner of people.

Richard Thompson, Martin Carthy, John Kirpatrick - more times than I can imagine.

I don't keep very good track of my concert attendance, but I have a good idea of whom I've seen most often. It occurred to me that I would have to say William Parker, even though many of those instances I did not go to see William himself. It's just that he is so ubiquitous on the Downtown scene. Anyway, I've seen Parker, Hamid Drake, Rob Brown, and Matthew Ship at least 15 times each, probably more with Parker.

I go to see Peter Brotzmann whenever he comes through NYC or DC/Baltimore, and that so far has been at least a dozen times for me. Ditto Ken Vandermark (even when I am carping about him, I still go see him). Interestingly enough, Nate Wooley is getting into the most attended category as well. I've seen Tim Berne fairly often, but I have had to go to Baltimore, Philly or NYC to do it, as he has only done one DC gig in the last decade or so, and that was just in 2013.

Evan Parker-- not so many individual appearances, but attended both of his week long residencies at The Stone in NYC, 2 sets a night. Plus I've caught some additional shows (great when he came to Baltimore!).

I'm probably forgetting someone. There are plenty of others I've seen two or three or four times each; that's a different post.

The most? Let me think...

The Rein de Graaff trio, Piet Noordijk, Eric Ineke, Benny Bailey, Marius Beets, Houston Person, Benjamin Herman, Jarmo Hoogendijk, John Marshall, Han Bennink, Ali Haurand, David Murray, Lee Konitz, Abraham Burton, Roy Hargrove, James Carter, Mal Waldron, Steve Lacy, Andrew Cyrille....

Easy -- Wilbur Campbell. He was pretty much the house drummer at the various incarnations of the Jazz Showcase from about 1968 (when he got out of Stateville, where he had been imprisoned on a drugs charge) until his death in 2000 at age 73. I also heard him a good many times before that, beginning in 1957. Thanks be, he was a great drummer, too.

Evan Parker must be up there with me too - in various Nottingham dives in the 80s, at Appleby over several years, at the RFH in one long day of various improvised music in the early noughties, at Cheltenham (the last time I saw him a few years back) and sat in the Kenny Wheeler Big Band a couple of times.