What's next on your audio wish list?

Scott Dolan

After my recent rebuild my wife is under the mistaken impression that I'm somehow "finished" with audio purchases. God bless the dear woman.

So up next for me will be the Decware CSP3 headphone amp with the black figured base.

csp3black.jpg

While I love my HeadRoom Micro, my PSB phones are perhaps a little "too accurate". I realize there is no such thing, but they are so razor sharp that they can seem a bit too clinical. So, I'm thinking that adding some tubes into the chain to provide a little of that warm harmonic distortion may smooth the sharp edges a bit. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Does anyone else here use a tube driven headphone amp?

So there's the next item on my list. I know GA is currently staring down excellent Creative speakers for his computer.

But what's next on your lists?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it sure will take some time for my next audio "upgrade" purchase (my girlfriend and I are in the process of buying our first house, so naturally that takes up all the funds), but the next two things are highest on my wishlist:

01. upgrading my turntable arm (standard technics sl1200 MKII arm) to a Origin Live Silver arm. The reviews of this arm are spectacular, and I hear many Technics SL1200 MKII owners rave about this arm upgrade. It is suppose to be THE best "bang for your buck" upgrade you can make for your Technics turntable.

tonearms-silver-angle.jpg

Second on the wishlist, is upgrading my Metrum Accoustics NOS Mini DAC Quad to a NOS Mini DAC Octave MKII.

I think buying the Mini DAC Quads was one of my best purchases ever, and upgrading to the Octave MKII version seems like a logical step eventually.

Review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum/1.html

hero2.png

Niels, congrats on the house purchase! It's a stressful undertaking, but FAR more exciting than any audio purchase, IMO. That turntable arm looks really, really sweet! like a piece of art. Hope you are able to get it as soon as possible.

Stefan, what kind of problems are you having with your Airport? My Apple TV has been a little bitchy recently. Had to unplug and reset yesterday as it simply wouldn't allow me to play anything. My library populated on my iPad remote app, but whenever I chose a tune, it would queue it up, but not play it. Before then, it would delay playing for about 30 seconds when I first fired it up. Not sure if it's an iTunes issue, or what.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Not an itunes issue, but the usual "if I put my Mac to sleep, the connection is lost" issue. I would have to reboot the airport for it to reconnect to the mac (or vice versa). It is not my main router, but once it did "take over" the main router upstairs when I had to reboot that device; for some reason the airport thought it was the main one and directed all traffic through it. Even when set as slave mode.

Scott, I have three (!!!) of the immediate predecessor to the CSP3 the CSP2+ model, and one is upgraded to the Jupiter Beeswax caps (an expensive but worthy upgrade). Two in my main system, one in my second system.

I confess I have never listened to them on headphones, after years of monitoring and mixing recordings for bands I was in in the 'eighties I just flat don't use headphones any longer.

They are fantastic preamps: flexible, transparent, dynamic.

Next for me on my audio list is probably the new Decware Zen Mystery amp IF I can convince Steve to add his treble cut circuit. I can't own an amp without that amazing tool any longer, it just makes it possible to listen to digital with comfort and ease. But it's going to be quite some time before I can think hard about ordering a Zen Mystery Amp.

Scott, I have three (!!!) of the immediate predecessor to the CSP3 the CSP2+ model, and one is upgraded to the Jupiter Beeswax caps (an expensive but worthy upgrade). Two in my main system, one in my second system.

I confess I have never listened to them on headphones, after years of monitoring and mixing recordings for bands I was in in the 'eighties I just flat don't use headphones any longer.

They are fantastic preamps: flexible, transparent, dynamic.

Next for me on my audio list is probably the new Decware Zen Mystery amp IF I can convince Steve to add his treble cut circuit. I can't own an amp without that amazing tool any longer, it just makes it possible to listen to digital with comfort and ease. But it's going to be quite some time before I can think hard about ordering a Zen Mystery Amp.

Well, initially I thought about addressing this thread to you. But, I realized that it was not only in your wheelhouse, but completely out of it at the same time since you've sworn off of headphones.

I really wish I could have you listen to my PSB phones on one of those amps, but completely understand why you wouldn't want to.

I honestly think that amp will smooth things out just as I hope. Based on your experience, do you think I'll experience that? It's hard to describe, but those PSB phones are seemingly accurate to a fault. They aren't what I'd call "cold", but they seem as though they'd benefit from a little more "analog warmth".

Does that make sense?

Edited by Scott Dolan

Sure Cary. But I think it's likely I'll be keeping all these preamps--I need four inputs in my main system, and the two presmps give me that (with amazing sound and flexibility) and the other is used in my second system. (I actually have one more, the earlier CSP2 which I had made without a headphone jack as Steve Deckert said it sounds a bit better without, that is in use in my Dad's system.)

No need for a headphone jack over here. I'd like to add a CSP, more wattage, upgrade turntable, etc.

I'm in no hurry.

I'm also about to move back to VA. Selling and buying a home etc. I expect money will be right tight for a bit. Easy come, easy go.

Hell, I just want to justify the purchase of the Lee Hazlewood LITA box right now, but I can't. I haven't bought anything since Christmas.

Edited by .:.impossible

I have only once been disappointed with Decware products, their cd player, which others really love, but I never warmed to. I sure tried.

The CSP3 will be an awesome tool for your headphone use. . . . I don't like that black figured base though. I use the walnut.

Edited by jazzbo

I guess it's not rude to offer your dislike for someone's black amp, but, when told they like it just fine, you repeat your preference for something else for a second time and, finally, a third. I just don't get it. Maybe it's a message board thing where communication is different than the way it would be in person.

Maybe it's just me and my history with Decware. I have four of their preamps, four of their amps, and three pairs of their speakers, and I've been looking at those figured black bases for years and wondering why anyone would order them. They just really repel me. Sorry I mentioned it again. I won't again.

I know Scott is unaffected by my grousing, but if he isn't, my apologies Scott. Just glad you are considering the CSP3. Hope it happens.

Edited by jazzbo

I have a CSP2+, Torii IV, Rachael (not needed, so in the closet right now and up for sale), & MG 944s. I've never bothered to listen to the Decware cd player Lon speaks of, but I've never been disappointed with anything of Steve's I've listened to. The CSP family of pre-amps are fine machines.

Scott

And I believe all of that, I just wish Decware would avoid this level of hyperbole:

"The CSP3 is a tube preamplifier that does two things: It makes your DAC sound better - like twice as good - and it makes your amplifier sound better - a lot better."

I have no problem with a company being enthusiastic about their products, but that's rather embarrassing.

Ouch! Shit just got real on another site where some cat claimed he was looking to "upgrade" from his current marginal system to a tube system. The response went as followed:

"Let's be clear on this right off the bat: If you go from solid state amplification to tube amplification, then you are downgrading! Tubes are technically inferior to solid state in pretty much every way and every measurement. Also, with tube amps, it is much more important to worry about amp output impedance and speaker input impedance. In other words, a well designed and robust SS amp will drive a wider range of speakers than a similar tube amp will.

Now that I have that out of the way.....

Do you have any inclination for the DIY approach on a tube amp? IF you think you might want to build your own, then check out the Dynaco Clones from Bob Latino. Absolutely top-notch components, easy to follow instructions, and awesome support from Bob himself. I built an ST70 and love it! The bottom line is that tubes can be fun and can sound good, but you must be more mindful of the limitations of tube amps."

And the somewhat subjective argument still rages on all these decades later.

And I believe all of that, I just wish Decware would avoid this level of hyperbole:

"The CSP3 is a tube preamplifier that does two things: It makes your DAC sound better - like twice as good - and it makes your amplifier sound better - a lot better."

I have no problem with a company being enthusiastic about their products, but that's rather embarrassing.

Well, I have gone on record, and received a lot of flack on the Decware forum, saying I hate the way that Deckert words these things and calling them "hype."

And Steve has agreed with me and says he wishes he knew how to say the same thing sounding less like hype. The truth of the matter is, it really is true of the CSP2+ at least that I have three examples of. It does improve the sound of the DAC with some experimentation, being able to adjust both the incoming gain and the outgoing gain (and gobs of that) and tube rolling can really make your jaw drop. And the same flexibility really does improve the sound of your amplifier by tailoring the input to it and being able to "ride the gain." I don't think Steve will ever stop writing that way, and I wish he would because I have seen it turn people away from the products. None-the-less Steve maintains a long waiting list for his products so many do get the message, and there are many many repeat customers.