What's next on your audio wish list?

Scott Dolan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, with that said, I think you tend to get better value with tubes than with solid state in most cases.

Naim audio a part.

Amen, porcy. My first Naim Audio solid state amp (NAC 72) was actually bought in North America - I've stuck with them ever since. Big plus is that they offer a myriad of good upgrade options.

I always respected Naim, I think their "evolution" is upright: they don't jump on the last trend, format, etc, they don't make luxury joint venture with luxury cars od yachts in order to gain customers in Dubai. My only problem with Naim is that I don't like their design.

ooopps: I just discover their joint venture with Bentley...

Edited by porcy62

Yeah, and to a lesser extent you could also throw Pioneer and JBL in that conversation. Before getting into car audio, with huge contracts, they were pretty reputable quasi high end companies.

My buddy still has a set of 30 some year old JBL studio monitors in his digital studio to this day, and they're some of the cleanest speakers I've ever heard.

My only problem with Naim is that I don't like their design.

Their circuit layouts and wiring are pretty unfussy and very old-school. I took the Superline apart at the weekend to tighten up the BNC connectors and as an old fart electronics engineer it was a pleasure to see so many discrete components and hard-wired solder links. :D

Linn certainly did some great recent upgrades to the LP12 (Keel and Radikal for example). Never been a great fan of their amps..

Edited by sidewinder

My only problem with Naim is that I don't like their design.

Their circuit layouts and wiring are pretty unfussy and very old-school. I took the Superline apart at the weekend to tighten up the BNC connectors and as an old fart electronics engineer it was a pleasure to see so many discrete components and hard-wired solder links. :D

Linn certainly did some great recent upgrades to the LP12 (Keel and Radikal for example). Never been a great fan of their amps..

Actually I am talking about the case, not the circuit layouts, I know it's silly, but...

Edited by porcy62

I would like to find a pair of speakers in the $500-$600 range that are perfectly flat and can be used for mixing - not the usual studio monitors (I hate those); just a good accurate set; I already have an incredible set, but they will be going by summer as I have donated my mixing studio; so at this point I am looking for a decent replacement.

I have a feeling, however, that my price point may be impossible.

Maybe Avantone speakers will do the job, but I'm not a expert. Does Scott have a opinion?

I would like to find a pair of speakers in the $500-$600 range that are perfectly flat and can be used for mixing - not the usual studio monitors (I hate those); just a good accurate set; I already have an incredible set, but they will be going by summer as I have donated my mixing studio; so at this point I am looking for a decent replacement.

I have a feeling, however, that my price point may be impossible.

Maybe Avantone speakers will do the job, but I'm not a expert. Does Scott have a opinion?

I'm completely unfamiliar with that speaker. Looks like it's a pretty decent speaker with good specs, but Allen said he doesn't like studio monitors so it likely isn't the speaker for him.

I will say this, a buddy of mine with a small studio once told me he always had a small set of decent speakers that he would use during the final mix because he wanted to know what it would sound like on lower quality consumer speakers because that would be what most people would be listening to his music on.

That's what these speakers are designed for, and I know he'd love them. Matter of fact, I'm going to send him that link. It will definitely put a smile on his face.