Paco de Lucia, RIP

Cyril

Spanish Flamenco guitarist Paco de Lucia dies at 66

World-renowned Spanish guitarist Paco de Lucia has died aged 66 in Mexico, reportedly of a heart attack while playing with his children on a beach.

The death of one of the most celebrated flamenco guitarists was announced by the mayor's office in Algeciras in southern Spain, where he was born.

Read more: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/26/showbiz/paco-de-lucia-death/

Paco de Lucía did one album with John McLaughlin and Larry Coryell (Castro Marín, 1981), and three with McLaughlin and Al di Meola (Friday Night in San Francisco, 1981, Passion, Grace and Fire, 1983, and The Guitar Trio, 1996). Famous as they are, I don't think they give a fair measure of Paco's artistry. Anyone interested in his work should check out Siroco, Zyryab, and Sólo quiero caminar and Live... One Summer Night (these two with the sextet) and going further back Almoraima or his first solo album, recorded when he as 19, La Fabulosa Guitarra de Paco de Lucía. Even the 2-CD compilations Universal has released over the years are not so bad.

I've written about Paco in my blog. This has hit harder than expected, and in my case it may be because Paco was the first musician I was ever aware of (I was three when "Entre dos aguas" came out), and his rumbas are the first syncopated music I ever heard.

F