MLB 2014 Season - Always Take Your Glove To The Ballpark!

JSngry

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm as thrilled as the next guy that spring training games are starting and the season will be starting before you know it, but mark me down on the "real men don't bring a glove to the park" side. That's for kids. If you're in your late-teens or older, catch it with your hands otherwise you're a pansy.

Who's with me? :g

The "always take your glove to the ballpark" saying originated here with Tom Grieve's repeated admonition to Rangers fans after a series of near (and not-so-near) misses of facesplat of wives, girlfriends, and children of some hard, hot fouls into the box seats. (yeah, people will take little kids, up to and including infants, to a ballgame and sit right in the line of fire, the third base side in particular. No net, no screen, and there's a little three-year-old on the second row whose daddy thinks that he can nab a screamer with his bare hand. Good luck, kid, hope your Dad's got good ER and/or burial coverage!)

It's also since taken on a personal usage on gigs where you're playing with a singer who does not, shall we say, have neither a need nor an inclination to follow anything remotely resembling the conventional form of a song. Hit the bridge two bars early and the band catches it? That's why you always take your glove to the ballpark, player, because crazy shit can and will happen and you can keep from getting hurt!

So, if you're talking about taking a glove out to the upper deck or to sit behind the outfield wall, yeah, that's kinda geeky. But if you're talking about protecting your loved ones (or even yourself) from some screamng batshit crazy imminent danger, and/or for being ready for any damn thing to happen at any given moment, then put me down as Pro-Pansy all the way!

Didn't bring a glove, and narrowly dodged getting my ribs cracked by a line-drive foul on the 1st base side. Moved a bit to my left and the ball hit the back of my chair, bounced in to my back and fell on my seat. I picked it up and put it in my sweatshirt pocket. Nice souvenir :)

...and it was hit by a pitcher, no less. Imagine if it was a slugger-type who had crushed that ball.....

Caught a line drive foul off the bat of Frank Thomas back when I lived in the Chicagoland area. Sitting about midway between first base and the foul pole, maybe 10 rows up, in Comiskey Park. That little extra distance took some of the smoke off the ball, but it still stung like a big bumble-bee. Actually, more accurately I stopped it with my hands, it dropped straight down, and bounced back up, so I could grab it again. My son was with me. We're both still rather amazed.

Went to a Rangers/White Sox spring training game in Sarasota with a neighbor (this was while we were living in Tampa) and we both took our kids along. Sat on the second row about 2/3 up the first base line. Saw what looked like it was gonna be a medium tempo foul coming our way, told the kids to look out, made sure they ducked, and all of a sudden we heard the sizzle followed by the THWACK, the thing hit an empty seat about 15 feet away from us all and I swear to god, if it had hit one of those kids, something really not good would have resulted.

Ever since then, I've been like, ok, I don't take my glove or else I pay attention like primed hell during every pitch, one or the other, but not both. Or even better yet, I pay the extra bucks for the seats behind home plate and behind the net.

Been going to games since 1969, and have never been close to a foul ball or home run, not even within hailing distance.

I was about to write the same thing - and I've been going since about '65!

Did get 1 at Candlestick Park a couple of years before I came to live in the Bay [20+ years] and went to my first game at Ebbetts Field in the 50's.

We were down the 3rd base line and a ball was pulled foul and hit bounced off the short retaining wall picked up by the ump who tossed it into the stands.

Was at a Oakland A's home game; a coworker sitting right next to me got one....line drive came right towards us and rattled around the row behind us as he tore himself up and a shirt too!

• 4 weeks later...