MLB 2014 Season - Always Take Your Glove To The Ballpark!

JSngry

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again today our White Sox best our nemeses the Twins on a wild pitch in the 11th. Now that's a promising start.

I read the newspaper story about this 11th inning. Leury Garcia bunted a single on an 0-2 count, got to 2nd when Dunn walked, got to 3d on a wild pitch, scofred on another wild pitch. All this after we came from behind to tie in the 9th. Oh boy.

Giants took two of three from the Dodgers this weekend. Their pitching still looks weak, Madison Bumgarner's game Saturday has been their only good start of the year, and this for a team that relies on pitching. I have to admit that I wasn't that impressed with the Dogers, and this Puig situation is pretty crazy as he's curreently playing some very stupid baseball.

Giants took two of three from the Dodgers this weekend. Their pitching still looks weak, Madison Bumgarner's game Saturday has been their only good start of the year, and this for a team that relies on pitching. I have to admit that I wasn't that impressed with the Dogers, and this Puig situation is pretty crazy as he's curreently playing some very stupid baseball.

Tim Hudson wasn't too shabby the other day either.

Tim Hudson wasn't too shabby the other day either.

That's right, I completely forgot about his great game.

Heartening to see Colby Lewis' return to action, just because. They thought he was dead, and maybe on a team that was even halfway alive he would be, but hell, there he was anyway, ready to be there as long as he's needed.

The innermost Inner Colby Lewis is one tough son-of-a-gun. Sure he gets paid for it, but for real, it's as inspiring to see him make it back as it is depressing to consider how bad things are that he's desperately needed.

So, for the second time in his career, Josh Hamilton injurers himself sliding headfirst. Doesn't this guy ever learn?

besides the injury possibility, it's not faster either.

None of these guys every learn. It's not the proper way to slide into any base.

I'm going to enjoy the Yanks' first-place position atop the AL East while it lasts... ^_^ Good to see more strong starts from Tanaka and Pineda today.

Last night Sabathia pitched well, he was not getting the velocity he used to get but he was locating pitches well, which is what he needs to do now. Good sign, it was against a quality team.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys, send them next door and let them grow up to be Colby Lewis, at least in terms of professional character.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=340419113

The 34-year-old right-hander won for the first time since June 17, 2012, a month before his last game prior to surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow. He was still rehabbing from that last August when he had right hip resurfacing surgery, and is the first known major league pitcher to return from that operation to remove bone spurs without a full hip replacement.

I remember in 2012, he was holding his arm up in some kind of cast, this was his contract year, and everybody said, damn, Colby's dead, and the Rangers said, no, this guy is important to us, and gave him a deal.

Then in 2013, the hip thing came up and everybody said, damn, not only is Colby dead, he's left-on-the-side-of-the-road-with-his-guts-spilled-out-and-the-flies-all-a'swarmin' dead. But the Rangers said, no, this guy is important to us and gave him a deal.

Then this year, ok, Colby will battle valiantly and will be there in the minors to come up when/as/if needed, but we'll not see Colby Lewis pitch in the majors ever again, thank you for your service. And then, MOOB - Tanner Scheppers (being groomed to be The Future Closer) is your Opening Starter and now on the DL, Matt Harrison's back gets funky (great rehab start tonite in Frisco tonite, btw). D-Wreck Holland was already out from breaking his limbs playing hockey with his dog who was driving while texting (or some such crazyass Holland-istic Act Of Holland-ism), and now who ya' gonna call?

Colby Lewis, right on, damn right, hell yeah, that's who. And of course, he is there and he does answer.

His body might crumble and fall forevermore into the boneheap of dustbindom the next start (or one other of them), but damn, hello one more time, Colby Lewis. Much love here.

So, there is this team in the NL. 5th best starter has a 2.93 ERA. the 23 Year old "ace" has the 4th best ERA, 1.80. 3rd best ERA is by another 23 Y.O. who came up last year, 1.54. A 31 Y.O. that no one wanted to sign for 14 Mil(and lose a draft pick to boot) was signed after 2/5ths of the planned starters went down with Tommy Johnitis..(Lost another for a month do to wang surgery).has a serviceable 0.86 ERA. Then, there is the scrape heap guy , 36...5.76 ERA for the Mariners last year... 0.85 this year.

Yep, the braves piecemeal rotation of David Hale, Julio Teheran, Alex Wood, Ervin Santana and Aaron Harang , have pitched just a bit better than any Braves fan could have hoped for . I didn't think this team, losing Kris Medlin, Brandon Beachy, and Mike Minor for a month or so, could even play .500 ball. Clearly, the Nats would run away and hide with the NL East division.

When Minor comes back, Hale will have to go down...but, the braves also signed Gavin Floyd , who is coming back from...TJ surgery of course. If he's ready, who does he replace?

And...who gets the credit for these players? Santana turned things around last year in K.C. but Harang was terrible in Seattle. (did pitch better for a month with the Mets at the end of the year) Is Roger McDowell a miracle worker? I didn't like Harang's stuff 5 years ago in Cincy...now, 5 years later, he looks like a completely different pitcher, with much better stuff...Alex Wood was very good in AA last year, but when he came up...he did ok, but didn't look like more than a #5 or #4.

And the Nats may still go on a run when the braves cool off, but so far so good. Looked bad on paper, very bad. Like a last place team's rotation. Guess that's why they play the games

Edited by BERIGAN

• 2 weeks later...

What the hell happened to Carlos Beltran on Wil Myer's inside-the-park homer at the Stadium? Isn't he supposed to be a great outfielder? That was Reggie Jackson like, showing up as late as he did after the ball bounced away from Ellsbury. If you haven't seen it, there's a video embedded here:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/04/video-wil-myers-hits-inside-the-park-home-run/

I counted 5 "Mississippi" from the time the ball bounced off Ellsbury, and was rolling toward rightfield before Beltran appears and fields it and throws it in.

Interesting article in today's NY Daily News about Mariano Rivera's book, "Closer", in which he questions Robinson Cano's desire to be great despite his immense talent, and goes on to praise Dustin Pedroia as the 2nd baseman he prefers:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/rivera-throws-book-cano-new-autobiography-article-1.1780687

• 2 weeks later...

Right now, I'm thinking...fuck baseball. Funny how little hopelessness borne of unrelenting random acts of physical failure of a collection of human bodies it's taken to get me here. I'm a wuss.

And I assume that was after you heard about Prince, but before you heard about Jurickson Profar?

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/10971663/jurickson-profar-texas-rangers-aggravates-injury

I heard about them both at once. The Profar story was going out locally last night as one of those "sources are reporting" things, with all the sources for the sources being proven reliables.

All I see are dead people. I need to learn to look away from that.