MLB 2014 Season - Always Take Your Glove To The Ballpark!

JSngry

As a Giants fan, I was happy to see Williams take Zimmermann out -- I thought it was a stupid move then, and there's no reason to change my mind. Just as a baseball fan, I really hate it when a manager sole reason to take a dominate pitcher out, when he's not tired or struggling, with one out to go, and the reason given is: "That's how I always do it." Try thinking a bit before you make the move.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been an O's fan going back to 1966, but Nelson Cruz left a sour taste here with the whole steroid-suspension/refusal to appeal/miss most of the second/half of the season as a result/team really needrd you/free agent/blah-blah-blah, and besides, Royals are a once-proud (and quality) organization back from the grave with a lot of young home grown talent playing their ass off in a smaller market. They've already accomplished what I set their goal to be - reveal the A's and Angels for the frauds they were, so I am giving them my backing from here on out.

The Orioles are not frauds, however, and will be tough competition (or not!). However, they built their strength on the backs of a lof of Rangers castoffs, and with Cruz, somebody who destoyed a good piece of fan goodwill with the way he left. When the whole thing started, we were calling the Orioles the ranger's AAAA club, then, as the got better, Rangers East, and now, this year that must never happen again, AL East Champions.I can feel good for them if they win, but...Darren O'Day? Seriously?

I can still pull for Orioles against either SF, St.L or LA in the WS, (especially the Satanic Cardinals) but I'd feel better about doing it with the Royals. Memories of Whitey Herzog, Dick Hoswer, Cookie Rojas, Frank White, Willie Wilson, Jerry White, George Brett, Dan Quisenberry, Amos Otis, and so many more still resonate here, and it was just a very few years ago that I had a young resurgent bunch of happy guys playing happy baseball and kinda coming out of nowhere in my backyard, so hey, that's my kind of vibe.

My son got Willie Wilson's autograph at a Storm Chasers game a couple of months ago.

I really don't know if the Royals can beat Baltimore, but then again, I wasn't sure they could beat L.A., and they swept them.

I do think with their style of baseball, they could go to the Series and win it. But, Baltimore is built almost the exact same way as KC. Should be some very low scoring games with defensive highlight reel plays from both teams all night long. I'm just glad they're back in the eastern time zone! Those west coast start times were killing me.

Oh, and naturally, people around here are hoping for another I-70 series.

Edited by Scott Dolan

I could be wrong but the way the AL playoffs have gone I fear/suspect that mostly we're setting up for an NL world champion. But I have a clear favorite, the Royals, for the same reasons Jim lists.

Plus it will probably inspire Joe Poz to write about 10,000 words just during the ALCS and they will all be entertaining and insightful.

I haven't followed baseball since the year they had no World Series due to a player's lockout. (Was that in 1994?) I decided it's just millionaire owners vs. millionaire players and neither side really gave a sweet patoot about the fans.

That said, I don't understand the animus towards the St. Louis Cardinals so often expressed here. I grew up in Missouri and had to suffer the perennially sucky Cards of the 1970's as an integral part of my youth. Granted, they had Bob Gibson still back then and Lou Brock, but not a whole lot more going for them. Still, one's boyhood team remains one's team to some degree for the rest of one's life, so I wish the Cards well, although I don't expect much of them this year.

(My ideal World Series would be the Cards vs. the A's, as the A's of the early 70's were my favorite team of that era and I went to a lot of A's games once I moved here to the Bay Area - before I wrote off baseball entirely. It doesn't look that matchup will ever happen as both teams have a tendency to fold in the post-season.)

From Tom Boswell's column in the Washington Post

"If you send the winning run home on a wild pitch (Aaron Barrett); if you can’t field a two-hop grounder back to the mound (Gio Gonzalez); if three players look at each other and none of them picks up a sacrifice bunt attempt (Gonzalez, Anthony Rendon, Ramos); if you can’t throw a strike with the bases loaded and walk home a run (Gonzalez); if you get confused and throw home when no Giant is actually running toward the plate (LaRoche), squandering an out, then you have no business staying at baseball’s October party."

That pretty much sums it up, painful as it was to read. When Tom's right, he's right.

Just...stop the Cardinals, Giants please.

Bear the Giants no ill will, but was pulling for the Nats, just because. And Bryce Harper, once irritating as hell to me (if for no other reason than being named "Bryce"), is beginning to grow on me as the kind of no-nonsense asshole that you'd never really want to hang out with but would love to work with above anybody else.

The jury is in!

thats-a-clown-question-bro-jeopardy.jpg

:g:g:g:g:g:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Now, in other news, Anaheim fans finally figure out why we "hated" to see him go, but didn't really mind.

http://www.halosheaven.com/2014/10/7/6943341/hambone-boneheads-the-fans

And finally, hey in the Season That Hated Life, at least there was this, not just once, but several times.

Leonys_Martin_throw_to_get_Cron.0.0_stan

That sound you hear is hope, springing eternal.

Royals sweeping Angels partying it up the rain, beautiful on many levels.

Same for Scioscia pulling C. J. Wilson after 2/3 inning.

C'mon Royals!

Terrible on so many levels. Sour grapes from a Rangers fan.

Angels eased up on the gas after winning the West and were never the same, not to mention that not having Garrett Richards, one of the best pitchers in baseball this year, hurt them. They were never able to replace the starting pitching they lost.