What was the worst thing you ever tried to eat?

Back in 2010 while in Asia, eastern part of Turkey. I tried to eat a Durian. The fruit comes from south Asia and was being sold in a market. When I cracked it open it smelt like a dumpster, or like my old high school locker room.The taste wasn't much better. I ended up gagging. It left this strange feeling in my mouth.

DurianTree.jpg

I've had some pretty grim stuff in Tokyo. Dojo nabe- llttle fish called loach or sand loach - in a stew kind of dish.

The restaurant I ate them at was noted in good food guide but I thought they were revolting.

komagata03.jpg

Another was fried chicken the Missus and I had in a small town in The Philippines. It was so bad we gave some to a dog that was hovering around and it turned it's nose up at it too. Durian is no problem, I like it.

Edited by kinuta

Tripe ! :unsure:

I was at a meeting in Madagascar, and they served this local dish, it was green in color, and the pure fat of some unidentified animal -- everyone got sick from that meal, not just the Europeans & Americans, but even the Africans.

Thanks, I was just chewing on my breakfast.. :lol:

I leave the worst(?) eating to other family members. My wife, who was brought up in Manchester, condemns tripe, but I've never had it.

After my daughter returned home from a year in Qingdao, a Chinese city with strong Korean links, our fridge stank of kimchi which she got hold of in Manchester's Chinatown, but once again I didn't try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

I was at a meeting in Madagascar, and they served this local dish, it was green in color, and the pure fat of some unidentified animal -- everyone got sick from that meal, not just the Europeans & Americans, but even the Africans.

What...a full English?

Many years ago I went to Paris with my then girlfriend. Authentic french restaurant duly picked out from the guidebook, food then ordered. I did a bit of french in high school so thought I'd be safe enough with poulet something or other but when it came it was an unusually textured sausage, Didn't seem like chicken and if it was it seemed to be made of spiced chicken skins, tasted a bit like a peppery haggis so not really knowing how to ask about it I started eating it.

About 20 mins later and several inches into the sausage there was a bit of a commotion at the next tabel where a lone diner was complaining loudly about his dinner and pointing at mine. Turned out I was eating his choice, the last one in the kitchen and some stupid "englishman" didn't know any better and was eating it.

Andouillette was what I'd got (a tripe sausage) and although I'd got the gist of the insults and the shouting, I didn't have enough French to get involved in sorting it out. Quite a memorable french dining experience but not for any of the right reasons. Looking back its pretty funny but I'll not be eating any more tripe...

Back in 2010 while in Asia, eastern part of Turkey. I tried to eat a Durian. The fruit comes from south Asia and was being sold in a market. When I cracked it open it smelt like a dumpster, or like my old high school locker room.The taste wasn't much better. I ended up gagging. It left this strange feeling in my mouth.

DurianTree.jpg

I remember being bought durian flavoured ice lollies in Singapore when we moved there in '65.

My mum tried to take the back, assuming they'd gone off.

Many years ago I went to Paris with my then girlfriend. Authentic french restaurant duly picked out from the guidebook, food then ordered. I did a bit of french in high school so thought I'd be safe enough with poulet something or other but when it came it was an unusually textured sausage, Didn't seem like chicken and if it was it seemed to be made of spiced chicken skins, tasted a bit like a peppery haggis so not really knowing how to ask about it I started eating it.

About 20 mins later and several inches into the sausage there was a bit of a commotion at the next tabel where a lone diner was complaining loudly about his dinner and pointing at mine. Turned out I was eating his choice, the last one in the kitchen and some stupid "englishman" didn't know any better and was eating it.

Andouillette was what I'd got (a tripe sausage) and although I'd got the gist of the insults and the shouting, I didn't have enough French to get involved in sorting it out. Quite a memorable french dining experience but not for any of the right reasons. Looking back its pretty funny but I'll not be eating any more tripe...

:lol:

What...a full English?

No - porridge !

Understand the collective distrust of tripe, but don't share it...when it comes to gelatinous flavor delivery systems, it's a darn good'un, at least for my tastes. It and tendon.

Another worst thing for me...Chester's Fried Chicken in Hillsboro, Texas. Chicken so bad I couldn't give it away to the vanload of blues musicians with whom I was riding. Learned lesson - if something sucks so bad you can't wait to be shut of it, DON'T proclaim to all within earshot that this is the nastiest tasting shit you ever ate. Odds of successful transfer are significantly reduced when you say that, especially repeatedly.

logo.png

Once some friends took me to an Ethiopian restaurant - the vegetables and sauces were okay, but they served some soft flatbread along with it that had some rather strange feel, look, smell and taste to it, like it was not fully baked after an incomplete fermentation process - that spoiled it for me. Never again, please ...

cow bells, uhm, bull balls? anyone ever tried? they just started serving that in some restaurant here ... fried and with some sauce - just read a story about it ... don't think I'm going to try.

I think they called them 'prairie oysters' in Alberta. I kept well away.. :lol:

Having said that, looking at a picture of these things they look suspiciously like an annonymous pub appetizer dish I used to enjoy with a beer. I thought it was savoury meatballs.. :bad:

Edited by sidewinder

When I was a kid they made us eat a spoonful of fish liver oil once a week in winter (Lebertran) That was nasty. It was supposed to be good against colds and generally healthy.

I don't know about sheep head but the tongue and the brains are excellent.

Calf's head I quite like.

Edited by uli