What was the worst thing you ever tried to eat?

cow bells, uhm, bull balls? anyone ever tried? they just started serving that in some restaurant here ... fried and with some sauce - just read a story about it ... don't think I'm going to try.

I think they called them 'prairie oysters' in Alberta. I kept well away.. :lol:

Having said that, looking at a picture of these things they look suspiciously like an annonymous pub appetizer dish I used to enjoy with a beer. I thought it was savoury meatballs.. :bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ljF2hmz9s

These guys performed at the '96 Grey Cup festivities. I met the one second from the right in a hotel lobby. He asked me who I liked, and I told him Tommy Flanagan.

Edited by GA Russell

I was in Scotland in a "fry shop" and was getting tired of eating deep-fried food (burgers, haggis, Mars bars--you name it, they'll drop it in the deep-fryer), so I ordered a slice of pizza, figuring I'd be safe. To my horror, they picked up the pizza and dropped it in the deep fryer. Had a burger cooked the same way and it was revolting.

Young kids were given cod liver oil when I was a nipper too. Also we were spoon fed some horrible goo called ' malt '. It didn't do me much good, I still grew up a weedy little thing.

Sheep's head cuisine plays a role in the excellent Icelandic film ' Jar City'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=933u7Pfv7F8

Yes, I got the 'malt' treatment too for a while. For some reason my parents gave up - the tears and tantrums administering the horror must have proved so unsettling that they decided risking our contracting plague or whatever it was meant to counteract.

Sheep's head also had me thinking of Arnaldur Indridason's thrillers. I suspect the Viking descendents lost to the world in the Yorkshire Dales still tuck into one on a Friday night before going 'clubbing' in Leeds.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Once some friends took me to an Ethiopian restaurant - the vegetables and sauces were okay, but they served some soft flatbread along with it that had some rather strange feel, look, smell and taste to it, like it was not fully baked after an incomplete fermentation process - that spoiled it for me. Never again, please ...

Yes, I had exactly the same reaction in an Ethiopian restaurant in Nottingham. I think I was partly spooked by the fingers only communal tuck in. But the flat bread reminded me of a wet flannel.

Long ago in a Chinese-Filipino restaurant I ordered the cheapest shrimp dish on the menu. Took one bite: it tasted like a garbage truck smells. Tried to wipe the taste out of my mouth and heard a bunch of people laughing at me. They were the non-English-speaking employees of the restaurant behind my back - they apparently liked to snoop on gringos who made the mistake of ordering that stuff. It was apparently fermented and apparently a familiar dish back home.

In Oakland CA Chinatown went to a place with some 'foodies' which specialized in making "Stinky Tofu" which is apparently common in a number of Chinese regions as well as being popular in Taiwan.

Hard to get past the nose, did try some and quickly retired....we had other dishes without any distinctive stench, yet I do not remember one single detail of the rest of the meal!

In Oakland CA Chinatown went to a place with some 'foodies' which specialized in making "Stinky Tofu" which is apparently common in a number of Chinese regions as well as being popular in Taiwan.

Hard to get past the nose, did try some and quickly retired....we had other dishes without any distinctive stench, yet I do not remember one single detail of the rest of the meal!

natto-beans.jpg

Talking of fermented food reminded me to mention natto, a popular dish made from semi fermented soy beans. Add a dash of mustard, a few sliced green onions, mix to a sticky goo and dump on a bowl of rice. I love it . It sounds vile but is actually great.

Another one that is universally hated, this time for it's extreme bitter taste is goya. I've no idea what the English word is but if the central pith and seeds are removed they lose much of their bitterness and are excellent cooked with a few spices.

They are very rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.

Everyone I know, including the Missus, utterly hates them. I think they are delicious and always look forward to goya being in season.

2009-04-02a.jpg

Another member of the ghastly foods club is Konnyaku.

konnyaku_tanzakugiri.jpg

Again I've no idea of the English but no doubt Google search has it covered. It's horrid chewy gelatine that comes in blocks and noodle size strips.

I absolutely loathe it, something that amuses my family and friends who all think it's spiffing.

Unfortunately it's a main ingredient in Sukiyaki, something my Missus adores, so whenever we have it - under sufferance- I have to pick out all the offending gelatinous lumps. Truly the very worst of Japanese cuisine.

Edited by kinuta

Yet another one to avoid at all cost is, or should that be are, Shirasu.

shirasu-title.jpg

Dreadful little fish that taste like nothing on Earth. Universally loved here but, needless to say, they make me feel sick- literally!

Apparently they are full of calcium and other important nutrients, not to mention radioactive shit from Fukushima.

As we say in Yorkshire, ' I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole'.

I've made bitter melon a couple of times at home when it's in season. Not bad with some Chinese salted/fermented black beans, though I do prefer it on the less-bitter side. Haven't tried the Indian bitter melon variety yet which is supposedly extremely bitter.

oh btw previous thread: