Ingrid Laubrock & Tom Rainey Tour 2014

CraigP

Ingrid Laubrock and Tom Rainey are touring in support of their new CD And Other Desert Towns. Here are the dates:

05/15 Cleveland/Mahall's 20 Lanes

05/16 Ann Arbour/Kerrytown House Concerts

05/17 Chicago/Constellation

05/18 Milwaukee/Sugar Maple

05/20 St. Louis/New Music Circle

05/22 Nashville/Zeitgeist Gallery ('Indetermanacies' series concert + workshop at the Nashville Public Library)

05/23 Tuscaloosa/venue tba

05/24 New Orleans/Zeitgeist Multi-Disciplinary Arts Center

05/25 New Orleans/Cafe Istanbul

05/26 Houston/Avant Garden, "They Who Sound" series (duo + trio with bassist Damon Smith)

05/27 Austin/venue tba

05/30 Boulder/venue tba

06/01 Kansas City/The Record Bar

06/02 Minneapolis/The Icehouse (J T's Jazz Implosion series)

06/03 Madison/tbc

06/04 Fort Wayne/ venue tba (duo + trio with guitarist Phil Schurger)

recommend something for me with her (Rainey's great, I even worked with him once); I just don't find her playing compelling, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

I like her quite a bit, and she really shines in live performance. Not sure if you heard these, but they are a fair representation of her work:

Tom Rainey Trio - Pool School- with Mary Halvorson and Laubrock - Clean Feed

Paradoxical Frog - Kris Davis, Tyshawn Sorey, Ingrid Laubrock - Clan Feed

Ingrid Laubrock Anti-House - IL, Mary Halvorson, John Hebert, Tom Rainey, Kris Davis - Intakt

There are others to follow up on if you like these; conversely, if you don't, no reason to go further.

Tom Rainey is playing extremely well these days. It should be a good show.

Rainey is incredible....she is good, but lacks....passion. A sense that she needs to be there. But I admire her musicianship.

I've seen Ingrid when she is more subdued but I've also seen her a couple of times when she really had it going on - specifically with the Rainey trio with Mary Halvorsen.

I tend to lose interest when the overly compositional nature of the larger ensembles suck the improvisational freedom out of the music.

That was my experience with Anti-House live. I could have fallen asleep.

Here are some clips of Anti-House Live. They play some lower-case type music (not strictly lower-case), which is what I think Steve is referring to, but they also play energy music. I think the purpose of the ensemble is to draw on the individual musicians for a collective approach, not just a free blowing session (although I like those too!). Anyway, I really like this group.

Here are some clips of Anti-House Live. One can see different approaches the group takes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0K2OLo4QAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSeWgyUC1Gs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqPcNsX30JU