RED RECORDS Italian Label Re-Issues

dova

I noticed Amazon has a slew of The Italian Label "Red Records" Re-Issues that came out on February 22nd.

This is a great Lable and I just hope these aren't CDR's.

BTW I highly recommend the two Billy Higgins titles, Soweto and 3/4 for Peace.

Anybody else know what is going on?

Wonder if they will reissue the Bobby Watsons?

Yes, he recorded much of his best work for them. Some good albums by Jerry Bergonzi on there as well.

Has anyone got a link that lists everything that's been reissued?

Edit:

Looks like they've got their own website now:

http://www.redrecords.it/index.aspx?lang=ITA

Some nice looking reissues there.

Edited by Head Man

I see that Amazon has Red reissues for D/L at reasonably prices but the CD versions are very expensive, $35-$45 or so, at least here in the states. I am also curious as to whether there are any alternates or unissued music included. Seems that some of these might be longer than they were initially?

Not sure about all of this ... on the label site it says if you order, make sure to list alternatives as "currently" many titles are out of stock ...

MAIL ORDER - PRICE: € 12,90 - COD: 4

Good Morning,

Outside Italy is very difficult to find our CDs

we are distributed in Japan by Superstop - Osaka

and in USA by North Country Distributor

You can order by mail sending an e-mail to:redrecords@iol.it

Minimum order 3 CDs

write: Title/Authors and code

example: 184 Bobby Watson/Appointment in Milano

Price: 12, 90.= cad.

PROMOTION 10 + 1

if you buy ten cd eleven is free

Payment

by Credit Cards (No American Express) send n° and expiry date

Four Europe payment also by postal cheque at delivery

SEND WITH YOUR ORDER

NAME

SURNAME

ADDRESS

ZIP CODE

AT THE MOMENT MANY TITLES ARE OUT PRINT

PLEASE SEND SOME OTHER OPTIONS

OUR CDs ARE ON INTERNET STORE AS MP3 FILES ON

Itunes, Amazon, eMusic, Nokia and others

http://www.redrecords.it/item.aspx?id=317&tipo=releases&Lang=ENG

as far as shipping costs go, the info is only in the Italian language version of the above page:

Spese di spedizione euro 8,70(da uno a venti CDs)

Edited by king ubu

• 9 years later...

I received an email from Jazz Messengers about a previously unissued Hank Jones cd that it indicates was issued by the Italian Red Records label. WTF?-I thought this label was effectively dead.  Then on the Jazz Messengers website I found 106 items (cds and lps) attributed to Red Records .  These included cd listings for Ethnic Heritage Ensemble's "Impressions" and Sam Rivers' "The Quest", which were never previously issued on cd.  And, there was a Cedar Walton's "More Blues for Myself", which is apparently comprised entirely of alternate takes from the original recording.  Plus, there was a "Complete Evening with Joe Henderson" cd that has 3 previously unissued  tracks (not alternates).  If you are into Chet Baker, there is an apparently previously unissued concert that is now issued, so far, only on vinyl. 

I found no articles online (or on Jazz Messengers) that this Red Records had been revived but I did find that Red Records on its website, redrecords.it, (now available for reading in English) indicates that a Marco Pennisi bought it in 2021. 

Apparently, these cds on Jazz Messengers are legitimate. Interestingly, discogs (under "Red Record" or "Red Records") does not include information about new issues. 

Just wanted to share. Could not find that there had been a previous, recent discussion of a revived Red Records. 

Edited by cliffpeterson

On 3/30/2023 at 3:49 AM, cliffpeterson said:

I received an email from Jazz Messengers about a previously unissued Hank Jones cd that it indicates was issued by the Italian Red Records label. WTF?-I thought this label was effectively dead.  Then on the Jazz Messengers website I found 106 items (cds and lps) attributed to Red Records .  These included cd listings for Ethnic Heritage Ensemble's "Impressions" and Sam Rivers' "The Quest", which were never previously issued on cd.  And, there was a Cedar Walton's "More Blues for Myself", which is apparently comprised entirely of alternate takes from the original recording.  Plus, there was a "Complete Evening with Joe Henderson" cd that has 3 previously unissued  tracks (not alternates).  If you are into Chet Baker, there is an apparently previously unissued concert that is now issued, so far, only on vinyl. 

I found no articles online (or on Jazz Messengers) that this Red Records had been revived but I did find that Red Records on its website, redrecords.it, (now available for reading in English) indicates that a Marco Pennisi bought it in 2021. 

Apparently, these cds on Jazz Messengers are legitimate. Interestingly, discogs (under "Red Record" or "Red Records") does not include information about new issues. 

Just wanted to share. Could not find that there had been a previous, recent discussion of a revived Red Records. 

I can't find that Joe Henderson CD anywhere on the Jazz Messengers site. I'd like to pick that up as I never did find a copy of the original CD back in the day.

bresna: You are right of course, that cd is no longer on the jazzmessengers site.  Made me wonder if I had seen it. But, through google, I found this link to that site that indicates the cd was listed at one time and states "this product is no longer in stock":

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/95684/joe-henderson/the-complete-an-evening-w-joe-henderson

Given mjazzg's reply above, makes me wonder if Red Records gave info to Jazzmessengers earlier than it should have. 

That cd is listed on redrecords.it but no longer as "the complete ... " and does not have the additional tracks:

https://redrecords.it/store/joe-henderson/an-evening-with-joe-henderson/

2 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

bresna: You are right of course, that cd is no longer on the jazzmessengers site.  Made me wonder if I had seen it. But, through google, I found this link to that site that indicates the cd was listed at one time and states "this product is no longer in stock":

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/95684/joe-henderson/the-complete-an-evening-w-joe-henderson

Given mjazzg's reply above, makes me wonder if Red Records gave info to Jazzmessengers earlier than it should have. 

That cd is listed on redrecords.it but no longer as "the complete ... " and does not have the additional tracks:

Thanks for finding that. I clicked the "Notify me" link. I'll see if that works.

just saw this thread: I've also been following these new Red rereleases (with a bit of confusion) since I saw the CD/LP listings on the Jazz Messengers site but not finding the Joe Henderson CD with three extra tracks (these apparantly have been previously released according to the Lord Discog - different label though) on the Red site. Also, when you click on the Sam Rivers CD link in the new release page it goes to another artist. Don't think they've revamped their website well enough. I suspect Jazz Messengers jumped the gun especially re the Joe Henderson set.

On 4/1/2023 at 12:51 AM, cliffpeterson said:

The new JH CD with extra tracks is now available (again) via Jazz Messengers

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/95684/joe-henderson/the-complete-an-evening-w-joe-henderson?mc_cid=5c37a815ad&mc_eid=5c16ab7b46