David Ayers

Paper sleeve. Listed in Japan as European. Listed at jazzmessengers as Japanese. Not on amazon. Gulp.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/advanced_1/category_1%2C2%2C3%2C4%2C5%2C7%2C9%2C10%2C23%2C24/formattype_1/genre_Jazz_800/labelcode_COOLM/pagesize_1/?

915.jpg

formatdesc1m_1.gif Import Juba Lee Marion Brown

Release Date: 28 Feb 2014

646.jpg

formatdesc1m_1.gif Import Consequences New York Contemporary Five

914.jpg

formatdesc1m_1.gif Import Rufus John Tchicai / Archie Shepp

911.jpg

formatdesc1m_1.gif Import Urge Ted Curson

Although you wept and fasted, wept and prayed....

Edited by David Ayers

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Backordered"? Suuurrrre.......

We'll see...

Gah!! No JAZZ REALITIES?

It's a start. Who knows what exactly these are? It is only when someone physically gets her or his filthy mitts on them that we'll get a clear idea if these are quality releases and if maybe more might be expected. The 'Cool Music' label looks rather...strange.

Don't know if I'll go first on these as I have them all on Japanese vinyl.

Edited by David Ayers

I was told fairly reliably that some of the ones offered by DMG were from Japanese CDs. (This was discussed recently). Have no idea myself if that is true. Others are probably needle drops. My sense is that if these are Euro versions, they are going to be needle drops. If they are Japanese, then the question is are these new masters or reissues of some previous versions, maybe based on the Japanese LP versions.

"Backordered"? Suuurrrre.......

We'll see...

Gah!! No JAZZ REALITIES?

It's a start. Who knows what exactly these are? It is only when someone physically gets her or his filthy mitts on them that we'll get a clear idea if these are quality releases and if maybe more might be expected. The 'Cool Music' label looks rather...strange.

Don't know if I'll go first on these as I have them all on Japanese vinyl.

I have them on Japanese vinyl or CD already too. But I hope that they're the real deal for others' sake.

After doing some research Cool Music seems to be a German Company (formerly distributed by ZYX) - omitting the four Fontana`s there are no other jazz titles in their "catalogue"........so at least seemingly these are not japanese Reissues.......

Do own some of the Original Fontana LP`s and all of the Japanese Reissues LP`s , but would not mind to have this as quality CD Reissues....

OMG!!

Don't have any of this on vinyl or the earlier Japanese CDs so I bit the bullet & went for it

Ordered the 4 from Jazz Messengers - we'll see if they're needle drops/boots - was willing to take the plunge as these are so high on my wants list it's not funny

FWIW Jazzmessengers list these on ebay and appear to have stock. They do specify they are Japanese and mini-LP. Bizarrely, no-one else has listed them on ebay. Romualdo may be the first to know the truth!

Just a comment on JazzMessengers - on the few communications I have had with them, the reply emails have been signed by "Jordi" - could this be the Jordi Pujol of the "Fresh Sound" stable

Is this his legit front business?

Based on previous claims (spurious) made on many Fresh Sound releases, calling these CDs "Japanese" could just mean they have been burnt from the original Japanese CD series

I was told fairly reliably that some of the ones offered by DMG were from Japanese CDs. (This was discussed recently). Have no idea myself if that is true. Others are probably needle drops. My sense is that if these are Euro versions, they are going to be needle drops. If they are Japanese, then the question is are these new masters or reissues of some previous versions, maybe based on the Japanese LP versions.

The ones at DMG were CDR's - right???

The ones at DMG were CDR's - right???

Their website says CD-R (but you need to go to the full listing to see that--the basic search return just says CD).

Apart from anything else, those Iberian labels all have excellent distribution.What is so mysterious about these is that outside Japan they are listed ONLY by Jazzmessengers, and inside Japan they are listed, apparently without yet being stocked, by several sites but NOT by CdJapan and NOT by amazon.co.jp. The first Jazzmessenger sales of these titles predate the advertised release date on hmv.co.jp. So this is...odd.

I was curious so ordered and received last week Juba Lee. Packaging wise - my sense is that it pretends to be Japanese but is not. The card quality & obi detail just does not feel right. Sound wise - it doesn't sound like a needle drop, but my expectation is that it is a copy of the Japanese issue.

Very weird indeed!

About jazzmessengers having stuff listed v. having it in stock - I think they're *very* fast with deleting things from the website that have sold out, or in marking them as "currently not in stock" or something. I never had any part of an order cancelled because it wasn't in stock and I actually saw stuff disappear when I ordered it (another time the same when a friend ordered it - gone from the site after a few minutes).

Regardless of the provenance of these releases, it's all essential music so my advice would be to go for them. These four albums are probably the pick of the bunch from the Fontana series and have never (I think) been available on other labels. Some of the others such as the Dollar Brand and Paul Bley are available as re-issues on other labels such as Black Lion. Like Jason says above, they're likely to be copies of the original Japanese re-issues so should sound fine. Even the Japanese re-issues are not the highest of fi.

If you already have either the original Japanese re-issues or the decent sounding CD-R copies from DMG then why bother.

Edited by Head Man