David Ayers

I'm with Colinmce, "Jazz Realities" - Bley/Lacy/Mantler et al is pretty essential in my book as is NYAQ's Mohawk

I'll take a punt on Juba Lee as I don't expect to find an affordable vinyl any time soon

These four albums are probably the pick of the bunch from the Fontana series and have never (I think) been available on other labels.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Colinmce, "Jazz Realities" - Bley/Lacy/Mantler et al is pretty essential in my book as is NYAQ's Mohawk

I'll take a punt on Juba Lee as I don't expect to find an affordable vinyl any time soon

These four albums are probably the pick of the bunch from the Fontana series and have never (I think) been available on other labels.

You're right about "Mohawk"...I missed that one. I'm not that keen on "Jazz Realities"

tread carefully, aftab. they be avant, from what i recall. surely about 180 degrees from 'two headed freap'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZVjGohfTEk

btw, these are european issues from one 'cool music' label. any obi strip or what have you would be simple inserts for that market. japanese they certainly are not....

Edited by etherbored

I had trouble registering at Jazz Messengers.

It kept asking for a state, but there was no "drop down" where I could enter it.

Guess what - I said screw this.

Maybe I'll try one of the Japanese sites.

Otherwise I guess I can find something else to spend my money on.

Edited by jlhoots

It kept asking for a state, but there was no "drop down" where I could enter it.

I'f you're having problems with the Messengers site just email them - they are very helpful & will reply in reasonably quick time (that has been my experience) & sort the problem (I think I had issues with the drop down "state" category too)

I placed my order for the "fontanas" yesterday & the full order was shipped by this morning

Thinking about that 'Horo' series - that was five years ago! There is a symmetry though - four desirable releases from a rare catalog. The Shepp titles were recorded in 1963, not sure when they were released, so they are or are heading for PD. The other titles are 1966 so are a few years off PD. Why do the Shepps in this way, then? If they are not PD this year they may be next. The reason may be to get around copyright on the artwork. Hmm.

I'f you're having problems with the Messengers site just email them - they are very helpful & will reply in reasonably quick time (that has been my experience) & sort the problem (I think I had issues with the drop down "state" category too)

I placed my order for the "fontanas" yesterday & the full order was shipped by this morning

O.K. - so Jorge at Jazz Messengers "fixed" the website for me.

He was so nice that I went ahead & ordered the 4 Fontana CDs.

Shipped today.

Thinking about that 'Horo' series - that was five years ago! There is a symmetry though - four desirable releases from a rare catalog. The Shepp titles were recorded in 1963, not sure when they were released, so they are or are heading for PD. The other titles are 1966 so are a few years off PD. Why do the Shepps in this way, then? If they are not PD this year they may be next. The reason may be to get around copyright on the artwork. Hmm.

That's a good point about the artwork. I doubt seriously that these guys have access to master tapes. My guess is that they use one of those TT with a digital out, then a little equalization, then onto a CD. Who knows, it might be OK. A laser copy of the cover art, perhaps leaving out a detail or two for copyright reasons. Looking forward to reports from jhoots and others.

It has been pointed out to me that EU laws which came in last year mean that from now on PD is 70 years, not 50. I wonder if this is a toe in the water or a new way of doing sneaky reissues?

Obviously, there's something bogus about the claim that these are Japanese reissues, whereas they are announced as imports in Japan. There's still a fifty year term for so called neighboring rights in Japan, so that recordings up to 1964 have entered the public domain. Not sure if you could get away with selling fake "Japanese" PD reissues in the EU.

I got mine from jazzmessengers today. All four. They have obi strips and are in mini lp sleeves. I'm thinking from the look of them they are Korean in origin as they remind me of some other Korean reissues I have in look and feel.

I'll report back shortly on sound and anything else I find. Haven't opened them yet.

carville

Listening to Juba Lee. It sounds nice, I don't think it's a needle drop. I also really don't think these are Japanese. There is no bar code, address or any record company info other than on the obi. On there all it says is Cool Music and a catalog number.

Also the cds themselves are in plain white cardboard sleeve in the mini lp (gatefolds by the way). Not usual for any japanese reissue I've gotten so far.

I can't say I'm disappointed in these as I have been looking for them for years. Let's hope they reissue the rest.

C

Listening to Juba Lee. It sounds nice, I don't think it's a needle drop. I also really don't think these are Japanese. There is no bar code, address or any record company info other than on the obi. On there all it says is Cool Music and a catalog number.

Also the cds themselves are in plain white cardboard sleeve in the mini lp (gatefolds by the way). Not usual for any japanese reissue I've gotten so far.

I can't say I'm disappointed in these as I have been looking for them for years. Let's hope they reissue the rest.

C

Mine were shipped on Mar. 7 - hope they arrive soon!!!

I wonder if they used the DMG CD-R's? I have the DMG "Juba Lee" and it sounds good (enough) too.

PS: I don't mean the actual CD-rs, just as a digital source.

There were some cd issues of this series in japan circa 1990.

http://www.discogs.com/label/303834-Fontana-New-Jazz-Series

I would guess DMG used these CDs as their source. Perhaps this label too?

I have Blood from that old series. I saw some of the others in Tower Records in NYC. Still kicking myself over not getting them.

I wonder if they used the DMG CD-R's? I have the DMG "Juba Lee" and it sounds good (enough) too.

PS: I don't mean the actual CD-rs, just as a digital source.

There were some cd issues of this series in japan circa 1990.

http://www.discogs.com/label/303834-Fontana-New-Jazz-Series

I would guess DMG used these CDs as their source. Perhaps this label too?

I have Blood from that old series. I saw some of the others in Tower Records in NYC. Still kicking myself over not getting them.

Yes, it makes sense that they may have a digital parent in common. Never having heard the original Japanese CDs (I have a couple of titles on LP) I wonder if anything was lost in the DMG or Jazzmessenger versions from the original Japanese CDs?

So...not needledrops, then, corrrect? But most likely not "legit" either?

Do not Japan re-reissue everything eventually and cyclically, in a legitimate accord of contract?

Willing to wait for that until certainly terminally ill, in which case, hey, sue me.