David Ayers

Do not Japan re-reissue everything eventually and cyclically, in a legitimate accord of contract?

LOTS of Japanese bootlegs out there. I'd say that's especially true of "psych" albums, but I'm sure it's true of jazz titles too.

Of course, Alan Bates licensing them to Nippon Phonogram in the 80s may not have been entirely above-board in the first place. I am told that their ESP reissues were certainly far from legitimate, though they look and sound nice. Stollman's claims being what they are, the mileage is variable...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how long they'll take to get here from Spain.

I'm not an audiophile, but I'll report back once I've listened & looked (at the packaging).

How long to get to the US?

I received a shipping notice on Mar. 7.

Still not here.

I have a tracking number from Jazz Messengers which shows still in transit.

Anybody else??

I'm not an audiophile, but I'll report back once I've listened & looked (at the packaging).

Still not here.

Anybody else??

only took 7 days for my order to get to Australia (can't comment on the US)

will post some pics of the labels/covers when I get a chance

Happy with the SQ - definitely not needle drops but I still think these are boots -> the CD labels are too plain (all black) - don't the Japanese usually do a facsimile of the original LP label (or similar)

What were the original Japanese CD labels like?

Still not here.

Anybody else??

only took 7 days for my order to get to Australia (can't comment on the US)

will post some pics of the labels/covers when I get a chance

Happy with the SQ - definitely not needle drops but I still think these are boots -> the CD labels are too plain (all black) - don't the Japanese usually do a facsimile of the original LP label (or similar)

What were the original Japanese CD labels like?

The original CD labels are pretty uninteresting, actually. Predominantly silver with black lettering and showing the Fontana logo surrounded by intersecting black lines. Oh yes, and the usual "copying prohibited etc" wording around the outside edge.

I'm getting a little perturbed.

My order was apparently shipped on Mar. 7.

So far has NOT arrived.

On the upside, Jazz Messengers has said in reply to my e-mails that they will reship the order if it hasn't arrived in the next few days.

Meanwhile my credit card has been charged & I have nothing.

I thought it might be useful for purposes of comparison to include a couple of photos of the Fontana CDs (CD-Rs) that I got from DMG. The "Mohawk" pic shows the inside tray, the front of the booklet, and the CD. The "Juba Lee" photo shows the inside of back tray, and the back of the booklet with info on Roling, and the CD. They are nice productions--considering.

I ordered a couple of CDs from Clean Feed from their recent sale, and it took between 2 and 3 weeks (to US).

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

Good news (finally) for me - my package from Jazz Messengers is in Albuquerque & should be delivered here in Santa Fe tomorrow or Thursday.Shipped Mar. 7 - will arrive Mar. 26 or 27.Seems long to me but at least it wasn't lost.

That's great! Let us know what you think of them.

Good news (finally) for me - my package from Jazz Messengers is in Albuquerque & should be delivered here in Santa Fe tomorrow or Thursday.Shipped Mar. 7 - will arrive Mar. 26 or 27.Seems long to me but at least it wasn't lost.

That's great! Let us know what you think of them.

Delivered - I'll let you know.

I've included the Front cover, back cover with "pseudo" OBI, & disc of the Curson CD (couldn't get the back cover/OBI pic in due to KB limitations - will post it in the next frame)

Had to take the disc shot at an angle to reduce reflection on the silver areas - as I mentioned before, the CD labels appear very plain, boring & suspiciously "bootleggy"

The back cover shows print being cut off on the upper RHS - something the Japanese wouldn't do - don't they have stringent quality control?

The OBI just doesn't look right - no mention of country of origin anywhere (on the CDs, covers or OBIs) - again, something the Japanese wouldn't do

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think these are legit

Still, I'm very glad I got them - they look great & I'm very happy with the SQ

post-11057-0-01094100-1395977391_thumb.j

post-11057-0-64790200-1395978463_thumb.j

Edited by romualdo

I've included the Front cover, back cover with "pseudo" OBI, & disc of the Curson CD (couldn't get the back cover/OBI pic in due to KB limitations - will post it in the next frame)

Had to take the disc shot at an angle to reduce reflection on the silver areas - as I mentioned before, the CD labels appear very plain, boring & suspiciously "bootleggy"

The back cover shows print being cut off on the upper RHS - something the Japanese wouldn't do - don't they have stringent quality control?

The OBI just doesn't look right - no mention of country of origin anywhere (on the CDs, covers or OBIs) - again, something the Japanese wouldn't do

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think these are legit

Still, I'm very glad I got them - they look great & I'm very happy with the SQ

A close friend ordered these too and showed them to me - can confirm your impressiones /description - of course visible gap to japanese reissue quality, nevertheless much better than most CD-R "offers".......so for the time being, despite potential legal issues, this is a feasible way to get this material.......

Yes, thanks for the photos. The Curson is the only one I don't have from the DMG issues, so I can't compare with what I have at home but none of the DMG issues have a pseudo-OBI, although the "Rufus" CD ® does have some Japanese lettering at bottom of back cover, and statement that it was made by Nippon Phonograph. This is obviously a copy of a statement. The DMG CDs have different graphics to those from Jazz Messengers.

My hunch is that all of the above, including Jazz Messengers, are from the 1990 Japan Nippon Phonogram CDs release of the Fontana titles.