David Ayers

Just read this thread for the first time and succumbed to the impulse to place an order at jazz messengers for:

NEW YORK CONTEMPORARY FIVE - CONSEQUENCES

TED CURSON - URGE

MARION BROWN - JUBA-LEE

NEW YORK ART QUARTET -MOHAWK

There is a reason I am can never dig myself out of the hole ... :wacko:

Fellow wacko supports your purchase!

+1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found my copy in a long-gone record store in Manchester. I just wandered in there during a break in the conference I was attending and there it was..... serendipity. I also picked up copies of "New York Contemporary Five - Consequences" & "New York Art Quartet - Mohawk" at the same time.

I already owned vinyl copies of all three and was happy for a CD 'upgrade' (as I saw it at the time!)... I later sold the vinyl for not a particularly high price. Ah, if only I'd known then what I know now....

Edited by Head Man

• 1 month later...

Also, the Urge cover I've seen looks like this:

Ted-Curson-Urge-533148.jpg

Is this a UK issue?

Never had that one but all the "Jazz Life" Fontanas I have seen were manufactured by Philips in the Netherlands.

Post-Rolling-cover, I'd guess?

Curiously, those six were never issued by DA Music on CD before, whereas titles like Touching, Anatomy of a South African Village, and Nefertiti were.

Alan Bates/Debut Records comes into this at some point, I'd have to think.

Had not seen this one before:

R-3484732-1332219797.jpeg

Also, the Urge cover I've seen looks like this:

Ted-Curson-Urge-533148.jpg

Is this a UK issue?

Never had that one but all the "Jazz Life" Fontanas I have seen were manufactured by Philips in the Netherlands.

Post-Rolling-cover, I'd guess?

Both UK and Dutch had the Jazz Life cover. Röling design only appeared much later on the Japanese issues, assume it was like Back to the Tracks in this respect. Same with Blood (Bley).

Really wish that the Bill Dixon 2LP had come out, though apparently Bill canceled the project as the money wasn't right. They would have been recordings from Bill's tapes, including (IIRC) the concert from Four Days in December. Great band/s with Rashied Ali, Reggie Johnson, Robin Kenyatta, maybe Gary Porter on trombone (?)... I've heard bits and pieces of this stuff and it's heavy!