Young Guns - Gene Ludwig, Pat Martino, Randy Gelispie

Jim Alfredson

Pattye Ludwig, Gene's widow, is offering these for sale direct for $15 plus $2 shipping. Contact her at pattyeludwig1@gmail.com. Yes, you can buy it from Amazon, but buying from Pattye directly puts more money in her pocket. She only has 25 copies, so get one now!

This is an incredible collection of music, capturing a quintessential 1960s organ trio at the height of its powers. I've heard this before as a bootleg, but the new remastering is fantastic and it sounds really great. Pat Martino is at his intense best. Randy Gelispie (who is still playing and indeed is on my latest release, Jim Alfredson's Dirty Fingers - A Tribute To Big John Patton) shows why he's one of the most underrated jazz drummers alive today, and Gene Ludwig is absolutely on fire. From the blurb on Amazon:

"From Pat Martino's private collection, here is a mid-1960s live gig featuring the B-3 artistry of Gene Ludwig and drummer Randy Gelispie. Rarely, if ever, have these artists played with more inner fire, more unbridled virtuosity and pure unadulterated joy as they did here, captured in the full bloom of their musical youth. Pat Marino's burning swing and impovisational wizardry takes on added zip with Gene Ludwig manning the B-3. With the colorful, propulsive drummer Randy Gelispie driving things along, this is one gig which surely deserves a "legendary" epithet."

post-2-0-16696400-1393965262_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to it now. What fun! These guys are young, full of piss and vinegar, smokin' their asses off. Martino is especially notable for the fire and attack of his lines. Sound quality is very good, and the quantity of music is very generous (78 minutes). As Jim said, the packaging is nice, with excellent liner notes by Bill Milkowski.

hi all, new poster here. fantastic forum!

it's great that these recordings are finally available commercially. does anyone know if the masters of the unissued vanguard album with tommy flanagan still exist? or can anyone complete at least the track list for that album? here's what i got:

-blues

-unknown minor tune

-one for my baby

-epistrophy

-love walked in

can anyone confirm a total of 9 tunes on that album?

• 3 years later...