Best sounding version of Otis Redding's "Otis Blue"

Head Man

I think the ultimate version would include at least some mono and stereo since three songs from two singles (Respect. Old Man Trouble, and I've Been Loving you too Long) had to be recut for stereo and therefore are distinctly different takes done some time apart (the fourth side didn't make the album and therefore only exists in mon - I'm Depending On You, I think?). But you could get all the relevant mono and stereo on one CD, but I don't know if anyone has done that... My understanding is that the whole album, ie the new material and the three remakes, was done in a day - 30 some hours that Otis was in town between gigs during which some of the studio guys had a club gig of their own. Kinda makes you wonder why anyone spends much longer making much lesser music.

Kinda makes you wonder why anyone spends much longer making much lesser music.

For better or worse, technology has changed the way musicians play and think. Otis's generation was probably among the last that had any experience doing things live in the studio, because there was no other choice. When overdubbing, punching in, and alternating between takes came into vogue, there was no looking back. Once humans experience a luxury, they consider it a necessity.

I think the ultimate version would include at least some mono and stereo since three songs from two singles (Respect. Old Man Trouble, and I've Been Loving you too Long) had to be recut for stereo and therefore are distinctly different takes done some time apart (the fourth side didn't make the album and therefore only exists in mon - I'm Depending On You, I think?). But you could get all the relevant mono and stereo on one CD, but I don't know if anyone has done that... My understanding is that the whole album, ie the new material and the three remakes, was done in a day - 30 some hours that Otis was in town between gigs during which some of the studio guys had a club gig of their own. Kinda makes you wonder why anyone spends much longer making much lesser music.

Thanks for that Dana.

I found a thread over at Hoffman that suggests that both the original Atco and MFSL re-issues sound fine and that the 2xCD (mono & stereo?) doesn't. I guess I'll go for a MFSL copy if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Edited by Head Man

Close enough for me. Pulled the trigger on it, as it looks like they really paid attention to the selections and versions (lots of remastered mono, for example).

Hope you love it, most of what immediately struck me as 'missing' were covers, which I love to hear Otis and the MGs do but I realize that's not to everyone's taste...

What about this set, just released?

Just wondering, whether the Rhino set incorporates all tracks from subject lovely ACE compilation released in 1992......

cb52b51103.jpg

No.

a pity, as me believe this being a must have for any dedicated otis follower.......

I agree, up to a point - the best on it, say "Cupid", is marvelous, but some of it really is bottom of the barrell (but what a deep barrell it was)

Just wondering, whether the Rhino set incorporates all tracks from subject lovely ACE compilation released in 1992......

cb52b51103.jpg

No.

a pity, as me believe this being a must have for any dedicated otis follower.......

I agree, up to a point - the best on it, say "Cupid", is marvelous, but some of it really is bottom of the barrell (but what a deep barrell it was)

Ì can see where you are comin`from...........still it`s a privilege to witness such quality "rejectiones".......what a great series of STAX + related Labels Reissues ACE managed to deliver at that time.......Ruby Johnson, William Bell, the "1000+ Volt of Stax" compilations and the deep Gospel of Chalice......hard to believe these Reissues were released more than 20+ years ago......

Edited by soulpope

cb52b51103.jpg

No.

Ì can see where you are comin`from...........still it`s a privilege to witness such quality "rejectiones".......what a great series of STAX + related Labels Reissues ACE managed to deliver at that time.......Ruby Johnson, William Bell, the "1000+ Volt of Stax" compilations and the deep Gospel of Chalice......hard to believe these Reissues were released more than 20+ years ago......

Dude, you're making me feel old! (actually, don't need any help there) I still think the MGs elgiac "Dock of the Bay" could be a hit if featured in a movie today.

Played the LP version I have yesterday for the first time in quite a while. Listening to it, I realized why. There's other Otis out there that I'd rather listen to.

I do believe that subject compilation was not intended to rival Redding's classic albums, but just to broaden the view on his legacy...........otherwise - and don`t get me wrong as I grew up with/love Otis Redding - nowadays I don´t listen too much to his records as his voice although great is rather one-dimensional to me, compared for instance to

0713cfec75.jpg

or

2ecc1f266f.jpg

Edited by soulpope

• 4 weeks later...

Played the LP version I have yesterday for the first time in quite a while. Listening to it, I realized why. There's other Otis out there that I'd rather listen to.

I played the Japanese CD this morning, funnily enough. But I agree with you. For me, 'Soul ballads' is the best. But 'Otis blue' has the best sleeve.

MG