Billy Hart Quartet, One Is the Other (ECM)

Guy Berger

Just got this new release... I think I like it better than ALL OUR REASONS, despite the fact that it doesn't have anything as WOW as "Song for Balkis". Like the prior release, it's probably more straight-ahead post-bop than your typical ECM album but more ECMy than your typical straight-ahead post-bop album.

Interesting, as I really like "All Our Reasons"! The one track on the ECM player from the new album didn't blew me over though. I would really like to hear some more from the album, but in the end I think I will just pull the trigger and buy the album. For some reason Mark Turner really grew on me over the last few years, and now I really appreciate his creative but relaxt playing.

I picked this up the other day and listened to it a couple of times yesterday. I like it. As Guy suggests, it is a ways away from the group's debut recording on HighNote, but not a completely subdued performance. I have long been a Mark Turner fanatic and appreciate his playing even though he does not generate a lot of fire as some people prefer. Some nice playing from everyone, but if you did not enjoy the previous ECM release, this may not be your cup of tea either. I hear it as basically an extension of the ideas started on that previous release.

I've gone totally Monk crazy for the last three years or so, and it was Ethan Iverson's fundamentalism in regards to Monk's harmony's that got me interested in Iverson's music again. I'm really digging this. Mark Turner's playing never really moved me before, but I think I've caught up with what he's doing. Very interesting for a mostly inside date.

• 2 weeks later...