Charles Ives's Study

paul secor

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/arts/music/ivess-study-resurrected-inch-by-inch.html?action=click&module=Search&region=searchResults%230&version=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquery.nytimes.com%2Fsearch%2Fsitesearch%2F%3Faction%3Dclick%26region%3DMasthead%26pgtype%3DSectionFront%26module%3DSearchSubmit%26contentCollection%3Darts%26t%3Dqry504%23%2Fcharles%2Bivess%2Bstudy%2F24hours%2F&_r=0

I had to shake my head when I read the first paragraph and read that the asking price for the Ives property was $1.5 million. Amazing that no foundation, university, or the state or federal government could put up the $ to buy it and preserve it for posterity. The U.S. government probably spends more than that on crap like one State dinner.

Then, when I thought about it, I wasn't surprised. America has no sense of history or dignity.

I bet more people will get to visit it in Washington Heights than in West Redding.

It will only be open for a limited time in Washington Heights. So you're probably wrong.

"The academy will open its new Charles Ives Studio to the public from Thursday to April 12, and from May 22 to June 15. Thereafter, it will open only for gallery exhibitions, although scholars, musicians and school groups can visit by appointment."

The bottom line is that America doesn't care about it's heritage. The White House just dropped a bundle on a "Women in Soul" show last night with Aretha, Patti LaBelle, that renowned soul singer, Melissa Etheridge, and a bunch of other no names or no talents who will probably be forgotten in a few years. How much did that cost?