Tina Brooks Mosaic question

Can anyone tell me if Star Eyes (LP 1) from Minor Move on the Mosaic vinyl set has some high frequency noise/distortion? Particularly prominent during Sonny Clark's solo. Also what appears to be some occasional "popping" in the left channel during The Way You Look Tonight. It doesn't sound like regular vinyl pops/tics, but more like some sort of overload from the horns. I've heard these anomalies on a few different sets, but not on the CD. Thanks.

I remember writing to Mosaic when the Tina Brooks set was released and asking about the distortion on the Minor Move LP. Michael Cuscuna wrote back that there was distortion on Art Blakey's cymbal sound, nothing could be done about it and, for that reason, the session would never be issued on CD. I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to, but that's what I heard (and still hear) and that's the answer I got.

Well, a CD version was issued and, giving a quick listen to the Conn, it sounds as if Blakey's drums were mixed down enough so the distortion isn't as obvious as it was on the Mosaic LP.

Hope that this helps.

Well, a CD version was issued and, giving a quick listen to the Conn, it sounds as if Blakey's drums were mixed down enough so the distortion isn't as obvious as it was on the Mosaic LP.

If the session master had only two channels (as per standard RvG practice), would it even be possible to mix down only the drums, unless they had a channel of their own? Maybe they rolled off the highs of the channel that contained drums.

I have the Blue Note Connoisseur CD of "Minor Move". Both "Star Eyes" and "The Way You Look Tonight" play perfectly with no distortions or clicks/pops.

Lee Morgan on trumpet, in addition to great sax playing by Tina Brooks, is unbelievably good.

All four of Tina's Blue Note albums are wonderful, I can never tire of them.

If the session master had only two channels (as per standard RvG practice), would it even be possible to mix down only the drums, unless they had a channel of their own? Maybe they rolled off the highs of the channel that contained drums.

It sounds like they used some noise reduction only in the right channel and possibly EQ'ing down some of the treble. His cymbal hits sound much more distant and muted on the CD compared to the Mosaic LP.

I have the Blue Note Connoisseur CD of "Minor Move". Both "Star Eyes" and "The Way You Look Tonight" play perfectly with no distortions or clicks/pops.

Lee Morgan on trumpet, in addition to great sax playing by Tina Brooks, is unbelievably good.

Same is true of my BN Works TOCJ, never noticed any distortion

• 6 years later...
48 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

Bumping to ask if anyone has heard the recent Tone Poet issue of Minor Move and whether the cymbal distortion that pops up at times on earlier issues, most prominently on “Star Eyes,” remains audible. 

On the Hoffman forums, they are saying that it is still audible.

7 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Many thanks.

I checked my Tone Poets and there is audible distortion but I wouldn't consider it unlistenable, This was my 5th time listening to the LP and my first time focusing on distortion and I only noticed it a few times throughout and for me the most noticeable was "star eyes" but not overly distracting. I'm no audiophile though and am used to some noise in my records. 

10 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

I checked my Tone Poets and there is audible distortion but I wouldn't consider it unlistenable, This was my 5th time listening to the LP and my first time focusing on distortion and I only noticed it a few times throughout and for me the most noticeable was "star eyes" but not overly distracting. I'm no audiophile though and am used to some noise in my records. 

When I got the Mosaic box, I had to listen for it specifically as well. It was there, but it did not interfere with my enjoyment of the music.