55 Bar Seized for non-payment of taxes?

I'm not sure; both he and his wife play there alot. I like the place and hope it stays open.

Per posts on twitter last evening, Kim Thompson posted she was appearing there with Mike Stern on Monday night, and Leni Stern posted she was appearing there on Tuesday night.

Is Stern still the owner of 55?

Like many jazz musicians living in NYC (Fred Hersch, Tardo Hammer), he comes from serious money; his first father came from the wealthy New England Sedgewick family (Edie and Kyra were cousins); his second father was a very prominent in the world of finance.

Maybe he can hit up his family for a loan... :rhappy:

I don't believe that he owns it. However, Kyra is his half-sister, not his cousin. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon indeed :D

I always get confused about that. We used to see Mike playing way back in the 1980s at a place called 55 Grand Street, and the people I was with said that he lived above it, and owned the place.

Apparently 55 Bar is not the same as 55 Grand St., right?

55 Bar address is 55 Christopher Street in Greenwhich Village, just off of Seventh Avenue and near to the Village Vanguard and Smalls and the now closed Sweet Basil.

The 55 Grand Street address is in Soho and is a Mexican restaurant, Papatzul.

Edited by kh1958

• 4 months later...

Like many jazz musicians living in NYC (Fred Hersch, Tardo Hammer), he comes from serious money; his first father came from the wealthy New England Sedgewick family (Edie and Kyra were cousins); his second father was a very prominent in the world of finance.

Me? Rich? This is sooo amazing!!!

Thank you, Sgcim ( if that is your real name) for the excellent detective work. If only my parents had known about our family fortune. Or their parents....or their parents. And to think of some of the things I've had to do over the years just to make ends meet...not proud.

But, no matter. This is a life changing moment...truly a fairy tale.

Scmib, if you weren't an anonymous cyber entity I would kiss you. Well, maybe not. But you will be handsomely rewarded for this. Just post the pertinent information: Where my family fortune resides, how you found out about it, what my connection to it is, and I'll take care of the rest.

Most importantly also post: your real name, bank account number, routing number and anything else I need to transfer a generous reward to your bank account as soon as I collect this fortune.

Most importantly also post: your real name, bank account number, routing number and anything else I need to transfer a generous reward to your bank account as soon as I collect this fortune.

Shit...pay my bills too.

Thank you, Sgcim ( if that is your real name) for the excellent detective work. If only my parents had known about our family fortune. Or their parents....or their parents. And to think of some of the things I've had to do over the years just to make ends meet...not proud.

Scmib, if you weren't an anonymous cyber entity I would kiss you. Well, maybe not. But you will be handsomely rewarded for this. Just post the pertinent information: Where my family fortune resides, how you found out about it, what my connection to it is, and I'll take care of the rest.

This sax player dude told me all that stuff about you and Fred Hersch. The FH stuff panned out, so I figured what he said about you was true, also.

Sorry for the misinformation. I'll see that guy tonight at a rehearsal, and confront his ass about this.

Edited by sgcim

Tardo can you lend me a few bucks?

but all seriousness aside, we met when you were working with Jamil Nasser many years ago. I admire your playing; though not as much as I did when I thought you were rich.

are you sure you are not related to Armand Hammer?

Edited by AllenLowe

This sax player dude told me all that stuff about you and Fred Hersch. The FH stuff panned out, so I figured what he said about you was true, also.

Sorry for the misinformation. I'll see that guy tonight at a rehearsal, and confront his ass about this.

I told the guy what Tardo said, and he said sheepishly, "I guess I was wrong, but I was right about Hersch and Stern!".

Now that you're back with the 99% TH, i dug the Dameron CD.

hmmm.....I wouldn't trust him at this point;

next converation will be: "I guess I was wrong, but I was right about Hersch."

And then "I was wrong about everything; can I show you my tattoo of General Grant?"

and then: "I don't really have a tattoo, but for $15 you can go out on a date with my wife."

Edited by AllenLowe

hmmm.....I wouldn't trust him at this point;

next converation will be: "I guess I was wrong, but I was right about Hersch."

And then "I was wrong about everything; can I show you my tattoo of General Grant?"

and then: "I don't really have a tattoo, but for $15 you can go out on a date with my wife."

Yeah, I didn't have the heart to ask him why a tune he claimed he wrote sounded suspiciously like a tune I heard on an obscure musicians album...