55 Bar Seized for non-payment of taxes?

I don't think it was really him.

It was him.

Nobody else notices musicians dropping in here off and on just to set the record straight? What do you suppose one can properly infer from that?

They've got other fish to fry? That the interests of musicians and fans tend to be dissimilar? But I'm sure that you've got a darker/more negative interpretation.

I don't think it was really him.

It was him.

Nobody else notices musicians dropping in here off and on just to set the record straight? What do you suppose one can properly infer from that?

They've got other fish to fry? That the interests of musicians and fans tend to be dissimilar? But I'm sure that you've got a darker/more negative interpretation.

C'mon Larry. Admin is not supposed to insult members. And honestly, my "dark/negative interpretations" (as you call them) are not a sign of a personality defect nor have they appeared out of thin air. Surely, even you couldn't have missed the exasperation coming from both Berne and Hammer in their posts. Seriously, there needs to be more actual "knowing" before thinking one knows (and speaking as such) in the jazz community at large. Assumptions abound, and to be frank, were I a musician, I'd stay far away, just for my own sanity. Think of that concept as being similar to athletes who refuse to read and get caught up in newspaper clippings.

Yes, athletes exactly. The orientation/interests of those on teams/in locker rooms and those in the press box and in the stands (however knowledgeable those in the stands/pressbox might be) understandably tend to diverge, if for no other reason than the roles of these various figures are different, though to some degree obviously interdependent. With no one in the audience, football, baseball, jazz performances, etc. pretty much would not take place.

I would say that, within reasonable bounds, the orientation/interests of all those divergent but interdependent groups are legitimate. But your "Nobody else notices musicians dropping in here off and on just to set the record straight? What do you suppose one can properly infer from that?" implied that our orientation/interests here on this board are not. Insulting on your part? Oh, no.

BTW, by what exactly do "you suppose one can properly infer" from the supposed fact (tell that to Michael Weiss, for one; there are others) that musicians drop in here "just to set the record straight" but not otherwise?

Yes, athletes exactly. The orientation/interests of those on teams/in locker rooms and those in the press box and in the stands (however knowledgeable those in the stands/pressbox might be) understandably tend to diverge, if for no other reason than the roles of these various figures are different, though to some degree obviously interdependent. With no one in the audience, football, baseball, jazz performances, etc. pretty much would not take place.

I would say that, within reasonable bounds, the orientation/interests of all those divergent but interdependent groups are legitimate. But your "Nobody else notices musicians dropping in here off and on just to set the record straight? What do you suppose one can properly infer from that?" implied that our orientation/interests here on this board are not. Insulting on your part? Oh, no.

BTW, by what exactly do "you suppose one can properly infer" from the supposed fact (tell that to Michael Weiss, for one; there are others) that musicians drop in here "just to set the record straight" but not otherwise?

I appreciate your scholarly approach to the argument. However you did not answer my question as to the exasperation evident from the parties involved. Berne has appeared here twice -- both times to scold. Hammer has appeared here once (AFAIK) -- again, only to scold someone who throws as much hearsay at the virtual dartboard as he can with the sole purpose of seeing what will stick -- just because he feels like it. This was not the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last. This, I'm afraid, is the prevalent mentality in an atmosphere where keyboard muscles count for more than common sense. Ordinarily, I'd say that none of that matters. However, in our decidedly social media oriented world, this is how mindless rumor and conjecture get started and get to live far longer than they should.

In answer to your question, I'd have to say that I was being insulting. I apologize for that. It's a result of my own continued disappointment with how the music's fan base operates in general (there are exceptions), without seeing that maybe, just maybe, the fan base may be jazz's main problem. I'm always amused when people here criticize the Hoff board for similar reasons.

My fault for not realizing Tardo Hammer was a real musician; I glossed over his name in the comments and thought for some reason it was supposed to be Mike Stern commenting under a pseudonym. I would hope that most musicians/people (myself included) have other things to do than hang out on a message board all day... :w

I'm thinking he's not gonna help me with my bills.

Yeah, no. That's why the concept that musicians have any less time to spend on the internet than we do is a huge fallacy. They are human just like the rest of us.

WTF would I know about being a musician, eh?