Dick Berk, R.I.P.

mikeweil

I just found out that drummer Dick Berk, sidemen to many, among them Cal Tjader and Ted Curson, to name just the first two that come to my mind, and was leading his own bands in California in recent years, has passed away on February 8, 2014, at the age of 74.

Sorry if this was already mentioned - a search didn't reveal a thread of this type. There is an obituary in Oregon Music News .

Liz Tjader, Cal's daughter, linked this nice interview on her facebook page: http://www.jakefeinbergshow.com/2011/07/jfs-30-the-dick-berk-interview/

Edited by mikeweil

Sad news - I like that recording he did for Impulse with Teddy Edwards and Milt Jackson. RIP.

I've got the feeling it was mentioned in a previous thread but also can't find it.

See John Tapscott on 10th Feb in "What are you listening to ...", post #128451.

Sad News

RIP Dick

I have pleasent memories about him. I spend a lot of time with him and Herb Buschler when they were here in Copenhagen in the sixties, as part of Bill Barron's Quartet with Ted Curson, when they played in Jazzhus Montmartre. Dick was a very nice person (but a lousy poolplayer) and we had so much fun together.

Vic

Sad News

RIP Dick

I have pleasent memories about him. I spend a lot of time with him and Herb Buschler when they were here in Copenhagen in the sixties, as part of Bill Barron's Quartet with Ted Curson, when they played in Jazzhus Montmartre. Dick was a very nice person (but a lousy poolplayer) and we had so much fun together.

Vic

Nice memory, Vic. I, too, saw Ted Curson during his time in Europe - at the Chat Qui Pêche in Paris.

Sad News

RIP Dick

Vic

Vic,

could you share your memories/impressions about the Bill Barron Quartet and their performances at the Jazzhus Montmarte a litle bit more in detail ?

R Emil

Sad News

RIP Dick

Vic

Nice memory, Vic. I, too, saw Ted Curson during his time in Europe - at the Chat Qui Pêche in Paris.

BillF,

any specifc memories abut the gig you`ve witnessed @ Chat Qui Pêche in Paris ?

Emil

Sad News

RIP Dick

Vic

BillF,

Emil

Unfortunately no, Emil. I can't even remember if it was 1964 or 1968! :lol:

Sad News

RIP Dick

Vic

BillF,

Emil

Unfortunately no, Emil. I can't even remember if it was 1964 or 1968! :lol:

Yeah, time is fading - and so are memories ;-)..............I would tend to believe it was in /around 1964........Thnx for your feedback nevertheless !

my beloved, long-time friend, Dick Berk, was one of the nicest, sweetest, kindest people I've ever known. and we know he was one helluva drummer. because I haven't seen it mentioned above, although Dick loved everyone he played with, one of his favorites was Walter Bishop, Jr. they played together frequently during the '60s in NY and were close friends until Walter's passing. I will miss Dick forever.