Universal Music Italia box sets

Still can't understand why they haven't redone the Roland Kirk box. Even a recent Andorran set totally ignored the hard to find Emarcy albums. I'd probably be best off getting the vinyl at this point...

That's the one I've also been waiting for. Andorran's can't do it because of the 1962 P.D.cutoff, I think.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it was a stage work with kids. Supposedly his most famous thing. La Strada, maybe? Don't recall.

Okay, I see ... not sure what's his most famous, but I'v heard some orchestral stuff that's not from film scores and found it pretty much okay, though on the more pleasant side.

But the march he wrote for the closing scene of "Otto e mezzo" has him firmly established in my own private cabinet of gods, that's for sure!

Had my hopes up when I saw this thread revived. I keep checking Amazon.it for Kirk, Ella & Duke at the Cote D'Azure, Dinah Washington on Mercury and whatever others they may come up with, but nothing for a while now. The Hampton/Peterson would be a good one for the series too.

Re the Evans, I have it on the way right now. It's €29.90 at Amazon.it. I'm sure it's the individual OJC releases boxed up, not the complete box, but I don't know if the former had the alternates as bonus tracks. Shouldn't be hard to check. I think the more recent OJC remasterings had even more alternates.

Re the Evans, I have it on the way right now. It's €29.90 at Amazon.it. I'm sure it's the individual OJC releases boxed up, not the complete box, but I don't know if the former had the alternates as bonus tracks. Shouldn't be hard to check. I think the more recent OJC remasterings had even more alternates.

I can't find a full track listing for the Evans set anywhere, so I can't figure out if it has alternate takes or if it is just the plain albums as originally issued. The OJC CDs do have some alternates and sometimes bonus tracks recorded at the same session(s) that couldn't fit on an LP.

Let us know. My assumption, however, would be that they're just straight copies of the OJC CDs and thus would have the bonus tracks.

I'm assuming the same because of the back covers of the "new" box posted on Amazon Italy: they depict the covers of the old OJC CDs.

Bonus tracks on the Italian Bill Evans set as follows:

New Jazz Conceptions
No Cover No Minimum (Take 1) 8:09

Bill Evans and Don Elliott
No bonus tracks

Everybody Digs
Some Other Time 6:09

On Green Dolphin Street
No bonus tracks (although there is one alternate of Woody N You)

Portrait in Jazz
Autumn Leaves (Mono) 5:23
Blue in Green (Take 2) 4:29

Explorations
Beautiful Love (Take 1) 5:05
The Boy Next Door 5:06

Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Gloria's Step (Take 3) 6:48
Alice in Wonderland (Take 1) 6:57
All of You (Take 3) 8:00
Jade Visions (Take 1) 4:06

Waltz for Debby
Waltz for Debby (Take 1) 6:46
Detour Ahead (Take 1) 7:12
My Romance (Take 2) 7:13
I Loves You Porgy 5:57

How My Heart Sings
In Your Own Sweet Way (Take 2) 5:50

Moon Beams
No bonus tracks

Interplay
I'll Never Smile Again (Take 6) 6:30

Loose Blues
No bonus tracks (although there is an alternate of Loose Blues 5:53)

Solo Sessions Vol 1 & 2
No bonus tracks

At Shelley's Manne Hole
All The Things You Are 8:44

So -- anything missing that's on the big box?

• 2 months later...

Bumping this up with this new 9-CD Italian box

Michel Petrucciani: The Blue Note Albums

1.- 100 Hearts
2.- Live at the Village Vanguard
3.- Pianism
4.- Power of Three
5.- Michel Plays Petrucciani
6.- Music
7.- Playground
8.- Live
9.- Promenade with Duke

Only available from Italy as of now, for under €40.

Edited by Fer Urbina

Where does Owl belong these days? They were with Verve/PolyGram/Universal for a while ... asking because there'd been another Petrucciani album that belongs with his better ones (those include the Elektras and pretty few of the BNs, most of them are bad to okay-ish - I don't ever listen to the ones with synths and even the pairing with Abercrombie is of pretty small appeal, so there's the Ellington solo disc, "Power of Three" and the first one, "Pianism").

• 2 months later...

Ha ha. At a glance it doesn't include all of his GRP albums (no Paint the World, for one... no live Akoustic band). Jesus guys this had the potential to be the next Beauty is a Rare Thing level event and they totally squandered the opportunity. When oh when will Corea's GRP material be given the proper care and reverence that it deserves!?! This stuff should be in the Smithsonian! /s

Sigh, i actually love this period of Chick's career, more and more as each year goes by.

Great, find out about the Evans less than 24 hours after I post mine for sale. Nice set, I'll keep mine then. Still hoping for the Roland Kirk box to be issued in this series.

Thanks, Ubu. I've updated the list, plus links where available, including a new Paolo Fresu 8-CD box of Blue Note recordings.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

Pleased about the Evans, but the Monk seems unnecessary since All Monk seems to have dealt with that material

Edited by crisp