Universal Music Italia box sets

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Fer Urbina said:

It seems that Universal has finally jumped on the 5-CD set bandwagon started by WEA and followed by Sony (or vice versa?). They've released eight such sets, which are listed at the end of post #1 of this thread, since they seem to come from the Italian branch of the label. 

You can also see those, here.

F

Thanks FU!  That's great news!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6.9.2016 at 2:20 AM, felser said:

The original US editions of the Sonny Prestige and the Bud Verve are much nicer, and not terribly expensive used.  

The Bud comes with a thick booklet that is indeed a most interesting read!

As for Rollins ... I have the ZYX edition (bought at full price - Swiss music shops ripping off school kids saving their pocket money ...) which has a scaled down (regular CD size) version of the big booklet, omitting some parts of it I think ... but the liners are there, at least.

Some of these Italian boxes do reproduce the booklets (the Brownie, for one - I think we went into some detail about this above), but mostly they are indeed just for the music. But then compared to all the crappy PD sets popping up all over yurp, these at least come from (near) the source and should always sound decently.

6 hours ago, king ubu said:

The Bud comes with a thick booklet that is indeed a most interesting read!

As for Rollins ... I have the ZYX edition (bought at full price - Swiss music shops ripping off school kids saving their pocket money ...) which has a scaled down (regular CD size) version of the big booklet, omitting some parts of it I think ... but the liners are there, at least.

Some of these Italian boxes do reproduce the booklets (the Brownie, for one - I think we went into some detail about this above), but mostly they are indeed just for the music. But then compared to all the crappy PD sets popping up all over yurp, these at least come from (near) the source and should always sound decently.

Yeah, I own the Monk and both Evans sets, and they are fine.

Re: Monk (Riverside, I assume), there's one of those real reissues avaiable, too - with the full booklet but in small format. Not Italian but European Universal still ... same for Miles on Prestige, Evans on Fantasy, Coltrane on Prestige ... I have but the Miles of them, but they're so much nicer and not much more expensive. Alas, the selection is much smaller, I guess producing them (booklets and boxes, not the discs themselves) costs some real money, as opposed to the Italian editions.

I'm still somewhat puzzled by the parallel world that Universal Italy seems to be ... they are releasing lots of classical boxes, too, and in a few cases run along better/more complete European Universal sets (i.e. Sviatoslav Richter Solo set v. Sviatoslav Richter Complete set, Hogwood Haydn v. Complete Haydn symphonies) - looks like Italy is an outfit more or less independent from the main company (or else looks like real bad management).

4 hours ago, king ubu said:

Re: Monk (Riverside, I assume), there's one of those real reissues avaiable, too - with the full booklet but in small format. Not Italian but European Universal still ... same for Miles on Prestige, Evans on Fantasy, Coltrane on Prestige ... I have but the Miles of them, but they're so much nicer and not much more expensive. Alas, the selection is much smaller, I guess producing them (booklets and boxes, not the discs themselves) costs some real money, as opposed to the Italian editions.

I'm still somewhat puzzled by the parallel world that Universal Italy seems to be ... they are releasing lots of classical boxes, too, and in a few cases run along better/more complete European Universal sets (i.e. Sviatoslav Richter Solo set v. Sviatoslav Richter Complete set, Hogwood Haydn v. Complete Haydn symphonies) - looks like Italy is an outfit more or less independent from the main company (or else looks like real bad management).

In the UA, that full Monk box cost a lot more when I bought the smaller one, but they are only about $20 different now,   Would like them to do a Universal box on Wes Montgomery.  

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Fer Urbina said:

I've edited the first post to correct a link and to add two more for the 5-CD sets (there are a few additions, both from the Concord and Blue Note vaults) and the new 3-CD sets respectively (I don't think those are worth listing thoroughly).

F

Thank you!

13 hours ago, Justin V said:

I just picked up the Mingus Debut box from Wal-Mart's site, with Deep Discount as the seller, for $27.54.  I had had my eye on the Debut Rarities discs, particularly the Shafi Hadi date, for years, so $27.54 for 7 discs was an easy decision.

That's a really nice box to have if you're into early Mingus (I am).

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On Friday, February 09, 2018 at 4:50 PM, crisp said:

Not box sets, but Universal Italy are reissuing a number of long oop Verve albums, including former Verve Elites:

http://www.universalmusic.it/jazz/bassoprezzo/

Yep. Besides what's in the link, I've noticed Dizzy's Perceptions , Clark Terry's  Swahili and the Fred Astaire set with Oscar Peterson.

F

On 09/02/2018 at 5:50 PM, crisp said:

Not box sets, but Universal Italy are reissuing a number of long oop Verve albums, including former Verve Elites:

http://www.universalmusic.it/jazz/bassoprezzo/

Among these there is a very fine Jim Hall live recording from 75 (I think), which I have as one of those mini-LPs Universal or Verve released domestically at the beginnings of the 2000s.