Draft Mag: "Light" beers that are good

Don't recognize many of those labels, an additional text list would be helpful.

Boddington's and Stone Levitation I heartily agree with. The Newcastle Blonde Bombshell is good, but I like the new black Cabbie, which is also 4.2 %, even better.

I've had Wachusetts Blueberry once on tap up in Mass., but haven't seen it in bottles here. I recall it was quite tasty. Of course, that is the problem with many beer lists, in that many products are only available regionally.

Haven't tried Abita Purple Haze yet. It's a fruity brew, which are always dicey.

Stoudt's Kolsch is a good summer brew, as is Flying Dog Woody Creek White. Most of these lower alcohol beers tend to be summer seasonals.

Edited by Jerry_L

I don't know why Hoegaarden is listed as a 'light' beer. In Europe it contains less alcohol than a lot of other Belgian beers, but not much less than pilsner. Hoegaarden contains 4.9% ABV. There is also Hoegaarden Grand Cru at 8.7% ABV.

Edited by erwbol

Here is a list of 48 beers of less than 5% ABV which are recommended by Draft Magazine.

Any thoughts?

http://draftmag.com/features/less-filling-tastes-awesome/

When I click on this link, I see a photo of a bunch of bottles, and no article or description. If I enlarge the photo in order to try to read the labels, the image begins to blur. Is it just me? :shrug[1]:

I don't think I've had a light beer for at least a couple of decades. I'd rather drink a bit less of something good than more of something blah. Not only that, but sampling the big wide world of craft beers (which feels like a never-ending journey of discovery at the moment) doesn't leave time for drinking the lite stuff.

I agree with Chuck; my first reaction was "good for what?" :lol:

Good for hydration in warm weather, without sacrificing flavor, hopefully. These "light" beers are less than 5% alcohol, not "lite" beer, which is brewed for lower caloric content, at least according to the marketing. Of course, most of the calories in beer are from the alcohol anyway, so ranking beer by calories is largely pointless.

It makes more sense to regard these beers as seasonal spring and summer beers as opposed to maltier fall and winter beers. Most beer is intended to be consumed within weeks of production.Drinking seasonal brews ensures that you are drinking fresh beer with optimal flavor.

Edited by Jerry_L