Any fans of Michel Petrucciani?

Hardbopjazz

Wouldn't say "fan", but yeah, I like some his stuff. Got te Blue Note box (just filmsy cardboard wrapped around the single discs) way overprized many years back ... and frankly some of it is dreck - the trio with Shorter/Hall is nice, so is te Ellington solo album and the first one, "Pianism" (w/Palle Danielsson, Eliot Zigmund) ... there's a wonderful duo with Lee Konitz on Owl, on the same label I have a nice trio disc with Jean-François Jenny Clark and Aldo Romano simply titles "Michel Petrucciani" (they didn't properly reissue their Petrucciani recordings on disc, rater did a 2CD compilation which I never got) ... and finally Blue Note reissued two really nice ones when they did those few Elektra reissues, "100 Hearts" (solo) and "Live at the Village Vanguard" (w/Palle Danielsson and Eliot Zigmund), both recorded live. Guess i should try the (semi-)eletrified albums on Blue Note again ... or maybe not (they're "Music", "Playground" and "Live" ... there's also "Michel Plays Petrucciani" with Gary Peacock and Roy Haynes plus John Abercrombie, Eddie Gomez Al Foster, Steve Thornton ... not really electric other than Aberzombie, but I never connected much to that either).

As a sideman, there's of course the wonderful "From the Soul" by Joe Lovano ... and a much less succesful but still nice one co-led with Steve Grossman.

He might play too many notes a bit too often, but he certainly had it going!

hello all, new poster here.

i'm a big fan of petrucciani and as a jazz guitarist it's very inspiring to hear a pianist who's biggest influence appearently was a guitar player (wes montgomery). his solo on body and soul (with grossman) sounds almost like a 4th take of the fantastic versions wes recorded on six string bass guitar.

Edited by hgweber

I LOVED Michel. An extraordinary spirit. Tremendous romanticism. I have all of his recordings... You can't find it anymore as its been OOP for a long time but the boxed set Concerts Inedits is excellent. I would also recommend the Drefyus 2CD solo set - Au Theatre Des Champs-Elysees.

I dig his playing on From the Soul and i used to have Pianism and quite liked it... I really want to get that trio album with Jim Hall and Wayne Shorter again; used to have it but there was this weird frequency that i heard through out the recording that ruined it for me... after trading it i discovered an issue with my speakers that was creating weird audio defects on some albums... always wondered if this albums was affected by it.

I'm fond of the romanticism he displays on 'Pianism', I was initially attracted by his allegiance to Bill Evans in his sound, which sticks out a mile on 'Prayer'. I have the disc with Shorter as well although it's a long time since I listened to it, (Jim Hall, I find, gets in the way). I didn't really go much further than these two recordings. I'd forgotten about the Lovano disc. I guess I mentally filed him away as too much of an Evans acolyte, which is probably a disservice.

Oddly enough I came across his burial place next to Chopin while wandering around Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris a few years back, that made me smile.

Haven't heard a lot of his playing, but what I have heard is a little too florid for my tastes. He does make a good foil for, and plays well with, Lee Konitz on Toot Sweet (Owl).

For that reason, I recommended the Live In Tokyo recording. Jackson and Gadd kick him in the butt and keep the motion goin'.