Holy Crap - More Unreleased Wes Montgomery

Eric

Two separate vinyl sessions (EPs) will be issued by Resonance Records in connection with Record Store Day on April 19th. One contains the five(!) studio tracks recorded in 1955 by Epic. Only one of these has been issued on an old Columbia compilation.

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/6799

The second release contains six live tracks recorded at the Turf Bar in 1956:

http://www.vvinyl.com/v/wes-montgomery-live-at-the-turf-club-whiskey/4825

It looks like all this material (and maybe (likely?) more) will be issued later this year by Resonance on 2 CD/3 LP sets.

Edited by Eric

Will these be released properly? I loathe that record store day crap ... record stores ceased to exist ten years ago, these are last gasps and attempts to sell overpriced produce.

Actually Mike, I think serious shops would only sell this stuff in store and not on pre-order ... that seems to be the high moral principle of record store day ... I wouldn't know of a shoppe around here that takes part AND might even get one slice of jazz. (I think one shop in town does take part, but I never went there, don't think they have anything of interest to me.)

Very cool news but I'm not dropping any coin on LPs that don't even contain all of the available music when its coming out on CD later in the year.

For that matter, I am making sure I head to the two remaining record stores in the Fort Lauderdale area the week before Record Store Day. I'm pretty sure the stock will be the same and no crowds to fight through.

record stores ceased to exist ten years ago, .

may I ask, whatever happened to Nina's? last time I was in Zurich, I could'nt find it anymore.

Replaced by some travel agency replace by ... she went on to sell records in some of the old-fashioned high-brow stores on the other side of the Limmat, I think (not sure if that was right away, nor if she's still there). Her shop was a cool place, I spent many hours in there, I even happened to be around the afternoon a newspaper guy came to take a photo (for the eulogy to be published a few weeks later) ... was the only time my photo was in the paper ;)

Anyway, I loved browsing the Penguin guide there ... and listening to some music. She had some Mosaic sets, too (at crazy prices, like 2.5 or more the amount you'd pay for a direct order), but back then I had no idea what these boringly looking b/w boxes were all about (and the price tags put to halt any further inquiries). Crazy prices, though, were a general issue there ... i.e. she sold OJCCDs at full price as the only one in town (at Jecklin, which around that time - end of the 90es, earliest 00s - expanded to a second floor dedicated to jazz & world, you'd get a huge choice of OJCCDs for less than two third of Nina's price ... anyway, Jecklin gave up that additional floor after a mere couple of years and by now their stores are all closed too, taken over by the rival Musik Hug which only maintains the main store at Limmatquai with an okay-ish classical but lacklustre jazz department, not enough space, and on top of it all an elitist owner who actually would prefer selling grand pianos to the global elite residing at the shores of lake Zurich, instead of being bothered by normal people wanting to buy some pop (ugh!) music ... as I said: record stores ceased to exist (there are a few left, but frankly I've long been buying on the net and don't feel like visiting hip hop and dj stores with small jazz corners).

record stores ceased to exist ten years ago, .

may I ask, whatever happened to Nina's? last time I was in Zurich, I could'nt find it anymore.

Replaced by some travel agency replace by ... she went on to sell records in some of the old-fashioned high-brow stores on the other side of the Limmat, I think (not sure if that was right away, nor if she's still there). Her shop was a cool place, I spent many hours in there, I even happened to be around the afternoon a newspaper guy came to take a photo (for the eulogy to be published a few weeks later) ... was the only time my photo was in the paper ;)

Anyway, I loved browsing the Penguin guide there ... and listening to some music. She had some Mosaic sets, too (at crazy prices, like 2.5 or more the amount you'd pay for a direct order), but back then I had no idea what these boringly looking b/w boxes were all about (and the price tags put to halt any further inquiries). Crazy prices, though, were a general issue there ... i.e. she sold OJCCDs at full price as the only one in town (at Jecklin, which around that time - end of the 90es, earliest 00s - expanded to a second floor dedicated to jazz & world, you'd get a huge choice of OJCCDs for less than two third of Nina's price ... anyway, Jecklin gave up that additional floor after a mere couple of years and by now their stores are all closed too, taken over by the rival Musik Hug which only maintains the main store at Limmatquai with an okay-ish classical but lacklustre jazz department, not enough space, and on top of it all an elitist owner who actually would prefer selling grand pianos to the global elite residing at the shores of lake Zurich, instead of being bothered by normal people wanting to buy some pop (ugh!) music ... as I said: record stores ceased to exist (there are a few left, but frankly I've long been buying on the net and don't feel like visiting hip hop and dj stores with small jazz corners).

Thks. sad but I guess kinda the way the world went.I liked to spend time first at her old place and her new store was one of the places I liked to go by when visiting Zurich. It was s bit of a hang. Listening to music looking thru the bins. a lot of times musicians around. sometimes drinking a glass of wine.

One day I looked at a Charles Tolliver record when somebody behind me said something to the tune of " oh that's another one I did not get a penny for". It was Alvin Queen. I knew some of Tollivers records but he kinda disappeared from my radar at that time. I asked Queen where Tolliver was and he said "He is hiding in New York".

There is another Wes recording in the pipeline as well. Have been sworn to silence on it but look for it next year.

this is all incredible and wonderful news. could you at least give a small hint, like just one sideman, or the year or a clue to the location, pretty please? ;) i'm so hoping for more material from ronnie scotts.

the 1955/56 sets should be most amazing, too. will the turf club recordings have buddy on vibes?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks for the link - which mentions that besides that siingle release, it will be part of a multi-disc set scheduled for 2016/17 .... ?!? Now will this include the previous Resonance issues or more unearthed material?

Let's hope there's yet more unearthed material (seems like a decent possibility, at the rate they've been going!).

What an awesome looking cover. <drool>

I know, very nicely done. I thought I read something about it yesterday (photo and/or design credit), but I can't find it now.

Dan, refresh my failing memory here. To what extent (if any) did Eddie mention Wes when you interviewed him? (I think the transcript was among the casualties of our hard drive crash a few years back, btw).

Thanks for the link - which mentions that besides that siingle release, it will be part of a multi-disc set scheduled for 2016/17 .... ?!? Now will this include the previous Resonance issues or more unearthed material?

Let's hope there's yet more unearthed material (seems like a decent possibility, at the rate they've been going!).

What an awesome looking cover. <drool>

I know, very nicely done. I thought I read something about it yesterday (photo and/or design credit), but I can't find it now.

Dan, refresh my failing memory here. To what extent (if any) did Eddie mention Wes when you interviewed him? (I think the transcript was among the casualties of our hard drive crash a few years back, btw).

Nothing was said about Wes. I knew nothing of the connection; IIRC Bob Rusch did provide a list of suggested questions but he must have not known much about it either because he didn't mention Wes either.

The One Night In Indy Record Store Day release has been pushed back to November. MikeWeil, my understanding is that yes, the material on it will be part of a 2-CD set out next year or in 2017 that will be completely different than Echoes of Indiana Avenue and the imminently-due (May 12) In The Beginning set.

Edited by ghost of miles

Huh? I've had "In the Beginning" for several weeks now! (Bought at jazzmessenger.com)

Only gave it one spin so far and haven't read the booklet, but it's the usual quality job and of course it's pretty great to have more music by young Wes, albeit I'm not that big on the bros.

• 2 weeks later...

The One Night In Indy Record Store Day release has been pushed back to November.

How does this come down this late before the big day? How do you miss the deadline anyway? :excited::excited::tdown:tdown

Some kind of mishap at the pressing plant, evidently--I don't think it was a matter of missed deadlines. Bit of a bummer to be sure, but we'll get to hear it (and more) eventually. King Ubu, congrats on already scoring IN THE BEGINNING. I'm going to pick it up at the CD release party in Indianapolis next month. I bought the two 10-inch LPs that came out last year on RSD and am eager to hear the additional material (and also read the booklet, which is supposed to be excellent).

• 5 months later...

UP, because November isn't far off. Any word David that this is for sure coming out soon? Any date known?

When I was on my birthday vinyl safari last month, I asked someone at Radioactive Records in Fort Lauderdale  and he said that it's scheduled for release on Black Friday and that they did order it. But I had no idea if he knew what he was talking about, he also tried to tell me it was a Universal release, he didn't think it was new material, and that Universal is now an awful company for what they put out, either delayed or with pressing/printing/whatever problems especially on new vinyl.