08 VI buffalo hallwalls

10 VI montreal suoni per il popolo

12 VI nyc vision festival

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm green with envy

Found out from Eremite that Brotz was to be doing an Australian/New Zealand Tour

I emailed Peter a couple of weeks ago & was unfortunately told that the Australian leg did not come to fruition (too complicated according to Peter) but NZ was a goer

I'm tempted to fly to NZ to catch one of his concerts

May 2014

New Zealand Tour 2014

3 May 2014
Silo Park (Wynyard Quarter), Auckland
with Microsoft Voices, Clinton Watkins, Jonny Marks, Drumbroz

7 May 2014
Old St Pauls, Wellington
with Simon O’Rorke

9 May 2014
The Anteroom, Dunedin
with Hermione Johnson, John Glasgow

10 May 2014
CPIT Jazz School Auditorium, Christchurch
with Joe McAllum + more

Insane, can't believe he's coming to New Zealand! I'm not that huge of a fan but i do like the handful of his albums that i have (The Bishop's Move with Evan Parker is a favourite). Can't pass up the rare opportunity to see a living legend like Brotzmann perform live.

On a side note, also just found out that Chick Corea & Gary Burton are playing NZ in June (a dream come true for me)! It's all happening this year :)

Now the mantra begins: Please don't cancel, please don't cancel, please don't cancel...

• 1 month later...

I'm green with envy

Found out from Eremite that Brotz was to be doing an Australian/New Zealand Tour

I emailed Peter a couple of weeks ago & was unfortunately told that the Australian leg did not come to fruition (too complicated according to Peter) but NZ was a goer

I'm tempted to fly to NZ to catch one of his concerts

May 2014

New Zealand Tour 2014

3 May 2014

Silo Park (Wynyard Quarter), Auckland

with Microsoft Voices, Clinton Watkins, Jonny Marks, Drumbroz

7 May 2014

Old St Pauls, Wellington

with Simon O’Rorke

9 May 2014

The Anteroom, Dunedin

with Hermione Johnson, John Glasgow

10 May 2014

CPIT Jazz School Auditorium, Christchurch

with Joe McAllum + more

Didn't end up making it to the Auckland show after all... i got double booked but thought i'd still be able to make it to the show afterwards with time to spare so i wasn't too concerned about pulling out of the other thing... show started at 6:00 but with 4 opening acts and the usual delays i thought there's no way he's going to take the stage before 9:00pm... next minute i get a txt at 7:30pm from a friend advising me that Brotzmann's on stage and i'm missing out! Life eh? Bit like that movie, Sliding Doors... seeing Brotzmann live might have completely altered the direction of my life... i guess i'll never know... either way i feel oddly empty this morning.

I got it on good authority that this will be Brotzmann's last North American tour. At least, that is what I was told that Brotzmann has been telling people connected with the current tour.

Brotzmann has been notably generous with tour dates in the U.S. over the last two years. It looks like that is coming to an end. So, if you want to see him in the U.S, this is the time to do it; may not get another chance.

I got it on good authority that this will be Brotzmann's last North American tour. At least, that is what I was told that Brotzmann has been telling people connected with the current tour.

Brotzmann has been notably generous with tour dates in the U.S. over the last two years. It looks like that is coming to an end. So, if you want to see him in the U.S, this is the time to do it; may not get another chance.

I guess I see you all on June 15th AND June 12th @ Roulette in Brooklyn

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know that I'd do this for any one of them individually, maybe??????, but together...yeah, I'll do that. Just feeling lucky that I've got the flexibility of schedule to do it, because, yeah, Tuesday in Austin from up here...it'll be a hit-and-run, but oh well. Had to miss Bobby Bradford when he was through here, still hating that, but fortune is smiling more kindly this time around, at least to this point.

I posted this over in the "Live" thread and forgot there was this one. Hope no one minds terribly if I post it here too. I went to teh Windup Space in Baltimore on May 31st to see the trio.

I was too busy this weekend to write up any kind of extended review, but I'll just recount what I can here. The trio played at Windup Space in Baltimore, a club/bar with a nice stage. The evening consisted of two 45 minute (approximately) sets, with a short break in-between. The crowd was quite large, maybe 150 (?). IIRC, Brotzmann started with with the tenor, then moved to the tarogato. In the second set, Brotzmann played alto, then a metal clarinet, something I don't recall seeing him play before. That was very interesting. I think at the end he moved back to the tenor.

I don't think I have to tell anybody how Brotzmann sounds or how Drake and Parker play. The latter was like watching human Loc-tite in action. Hamid played the frame drum for part of the sets, and Parker spent some time on the zintir, a stringed wooden instrument, as well as the double bass. Brotzmann was his usual intense self. What always draws me to Brotzmann is the elemental, or primal, power of his music-making. One knows his trademark sound and approach, and yet it always seems powerfully alive when experiencing it. It's not language but the deep well of feeling beneath language that is communicated. In the more plaintive passages, I had the impression of blues merged with German lieder. In the more gale-like parts (and there were still many), I kept thinking if we had to re-score "The Entry of the Gods into Valhalla," this would be the man to do it. And there is, indeed, that Wagnerian quality to Brotzmann's playing. Somehow after a Brotzmann show I always feel as if I have been baptized again into the power and expressiveness of free music.

I will see the trio again at the Vision Festival in about 10 days. Maybe I'll write more at that time. I saw Brotzmann at the same venue about 5 years ago when he did a solo show. I recalled that the crowd was shockingly small. At the show this past weekend, after rehearsal/sound check, and before the show started, Brotzmann came over to the bar where I was sitting at the time, and ordered an iced water. We started talking and, quite surprisingly, he seemed to remember me (certainly sketchily) from that previous set 5 years ago, and he absolutely remembered the details of that solo show. Considering how much he tours and performs, that surprised me. He was kind enough to sign my copy of, "We Thought We Could Change the World." It was really a fine evening.