BRÖTZMANN / DRAKE / PARKER TRIO JUNE 2014 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR

Very enjoyable concert in front of an appreciative crowd. One of the pleasure of being alive in 2014 is to be ablle to see live Hamid Drake , can say I've lived a great life as I had to pleasure to attend so many concerts involving this gentleman that I forgot the count..

Anyway if you can catch the later gigs , go for it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the group in Buffalo on Sunday. The basement room at Hall Walls seats 90, and there were several people standing at the back of the room and in the aisles. My wife and I sat in the center of the front row. While the group can be quite powerful, I was frequently struck by how quiet and melodic they can be. It was my first time seeing William Parker live, and his rapport with Hamid Drake is incredible. It's something to hear Drake or Parker introduce a groove or a phrase that the other picks up instantaneously. Hearing Drake is hearing the history of jazz drumming; I told my wife that if there was a beat that he didn't play, it probably wasn't worth playing. When Parker picked up his wooden flute, the music took on an almost chamber-like quality. Brotzmann's sound has such a presence, and underneath the surface of extremes that people often focus on, he's a very methodical and patient improviser. He also seems to be quite a mild-mannered, humble guy. It was 90 minutes of fearless, wide-ranging music from an empathetic trio who displays a firm grasp of the music's history.

Ann and I were at Hallwalls as well, next to last row stage left. To bad we couldn't connect, unless you preferred not.

No disagreement with your review of the show.

This was my first time hearing this trio but have heard all members in different situations. I think the concert was good but Brotz blew me away the last time I encountered him (at Hallwalls with Joe McPhee) so it was a bit of a let down for me personally. Glad you liked the show.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Ann and I were at Hallwalls as well, next to last row stage left. To bad we couldn't connect, unless you preferred not.

No disagreement with your review of the show.

This was my first time hearing this trio but have heard all members in different situations. I think the concert was good but Brotz blew me away the last time I encountered him (at Hallwalls with Joe McPhee) so it was a bit of a let down for me personally. Glad you liked the show.

I almost caught that Brotzmann/McPhee show last year, but I instead chose to make the longer drive to see them in Chicago due to Brotzmann and McPhee being joined by Kent Kessler and Hamid Drake for a quartet set following their duo set. I have all 5 of the Die Like a Dog quartet discs on FMP; with Toshinori Kondo not being in the picture (Does he no longer tour stateside?) and the passing of Roy Campbell, Jr., I think that McPhee could be an interesting addition to the group.

• 8 months later...

I got it on good authority that this will be Brotzmann's last North American tour. At least, that is what I was told that Brotzmann has been telling people connected with the current tour.

maybe he changed his mind

2015-03-11

MAY 2015 BRÖTZMANN / DRAKE / PARKER TRIO NORTH AMERICAN TOUR

07 V houston eldorado ballroom

09 V potter valley (private event)

10 V san francisco the chapel

12 V portland mississippi studios

13 V seattle seattle art museum

14 V calgary festival hall

15 V edmonton yardbird suite

18 V kelowna summerhill pyramid winery brötzmann solo

19 V victoria the copper owl brötzmann solo

22 V halifax the obey convention brötzmann solo

2015-02-05

Edited by uli

I got it on good authority that this will be Brotzmann's last North American tour. At least, that is what I was told that Brotzmann has been telling people connected with the current tour.

maybe he changed his mind

2015-03-11

MAY 2015 BRÖTZMANN / DRAKE / PARKER TRIO NORTH AMERICAN TOUR

07 V houston eldorado ballroom

09 V potter valley (private event)

10 V san francisco the chapel

12 V portland mississippi studios

13 V seattle seattle art museum

14 V calgary festival hall

15 V edmonton yardbird suite

18 V kelowna summerhill pyramid winery brötzmann solo

19 V victoria the copper owl brötzmann solo

22 V halifax the obey convention brötzmann solo

2015-02-05

Apparently! Hard for these road warriors to give up the game I suppose. Why else would Michael Jordan play for the Wizards :smirk: . I don't recall West Coast dates last time but I may have forgotten.

I'm intrigued by the "Private" gig in Potter Valley. Is there a 1%-er who likes Brotzmann? :crazy: And what is that "OBEY" convention in Halifax? Does that have something to do with Obey Wan Kenobe? :w