What microphone for sax?

Jim Alfredson

The tenor sax player in the group I play with uses an Electro-Voice RE-20 (it's actually a superb dynamic broadcaster's

mic with a whole lot of other good uses).It sounds great with his horn playing. I know a few alto and soprano sax players that use the little Audio-Technica

clip-on condenser mic.(sorry I don't remember the model #)

We used the Sennheisser 421 in a recording session recently with another tenor sax player and it worked well.

That's all I got.

Moose moose...

:g

Sangry, how I wish I could afford a real Neumann U-47. Or even a modern replicant (like the Soundelux series).

I've read that the EV RE-20's are good for both stage and studio. I may pick one up. And I've read the MD421's are nice, too. I just bought a Shure 330 off ebay for $234. It's a ribbon mic and ribbons are supposed to record saxes very well. If it doesn't work on sax, it's supposed to be one helluva guitar amp mic so...

I may just pick up an RE20 just because...

The Neumann U87 is probably the top all around mike on the market and would give you a magnificent sound....but at a price...

However, since microphones are a long term investment for serious musicians, I would advise you to get a Neumann KM184, which is reasonnably priced and will last forever : I use it frequently for alto sax, and I get very fluid results :D

Edited by michel devos

I'd suggest at least giving the Shure KSM line a listen. The KSM32 has, to my ear, superseded both the U87/89 and the AKG C414 as an all-purpose, utility studio mic. If you want something that might prove useful on-stage as well, look at the DPA 4060. It's a miniature (resembles a lav) but it might be one of the most useful and versatile mics on the market.

Thanks, Gerry. I actually picked up a mint condition Shure 330 ribbon mic. It's the one Johnny Carson used to use. I've heard that ribbons are very complimentary to saxophones. So far I've tried it on my Leslie (the top horn) and I LOVE it up there, so even if it doesn't work for sax, I'll put it to use.