creative music studio archival release

cliffpeterson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Did anybody else receive this set with additional caseless CDs wrapped in bubble wrap for packaging padding? The sent me Journey by Paul Austerwitz, and something by Third Eye Orchestra. Nothing but naked discs and bubble wrap. The Third Eye thing, hell, I'd have paid money for it if I was looking for it. Really really good stuff. Don't know why they're giving it away, but, ok, do that then, go right on ahead.

The CMS thing is just dandy, especially, for me, the Orchestral disc, especially the Oliver Lake material. This is an aspect of his with which I was not familiar, has he recorded any of his works for larger ensemble before? The examples here really grabbed my ear!

Did anybody else receive this set with additional caseless CDs wrapped in bubble wrap for packaging padding? The sent me Journey by Paul Austerwitz, and something by Third Eye Orchestra. Nothing but naked discs and bubble wrap. The Third Eye thing, hell, I'd have paid money for it if I was looking for it. Really really good stuff. Don't know why they're giving it away, but, ok, do that then, go right on ahead.

The CMS thing is just dandy, especially, for me, the Orchestral disc, especially the Oliver Lake material. This is an aspect of his with which I was not familiar, has he recorded any of his works for larger ensemble before? The examples here really grabbed my ear!

there's an Oliver Lake LP on Gramavision - not sure if it was also on CD - Otherside - which has two performances by a large group (19 musicians). The other side of the LP is by a quintet.

• 1 year later...

Volume 2 has been shipped to Kickstarter backers. In the liner notes Jumma Sultan speaks of a Jimi Hendrix/ Sam Rivers collaboration in Woodstock (pre-CMS) that he has a tape of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. 

I feel about this like Chewy feels about lost Crown sessions!

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

What is on Volume 2?

Sultan is an interesting character. I highly doubt that most of his audio archive will ever see the light of day, however.

The first ever encounter between Anthony Braxton and Marilyn Crispell, a duet from 1977; a Don Cherry big band with his Codona mates; Lee Konitz doing Oleo; Frederick Rzewski and karl Berger duet; Baikida Carroll and Gerry Hemingway large groups; "world music" by people I am unfamiliar with (apart from Colin Walcott).  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

bump!

had the second volume in the mail yesterday and am nearing the end of my first listen (all the way through) - some dynamite here! That Kalaparusha track on disc 1, in trio with drummer John Betsch and Juma Sultan on bass, is true dynamite! It's 18 minutes long and towards the end sorta goes into an electric Miles-like groove (I guess Sultan is producing those sounds and Kalaparusha lays out there, but I may be wrong ... obviously, with Sultan around, we're back to the Jimi connection.

The liners have this to say about the track (not sure, but don't we have a "quote box" option any longer?):

KALAPARUSHA

The late tenor saxophonist and composer Kalaparusha, whose
1969 album Humility In Light of the Creator is an avant-garde
jazz classic, links CMS directly to both Chicago’s groundbreaking
Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians – and to
none other than Jimi Hendrix. Born Maurice McIntyre, Kalaparusha
was a founding AACM member and as such, a kindred spirit with
CMS, where he became a Guiding Artist. His trio here includes
drummer John Betsch, a longtime sideman of the great South African
pianist Abdullah Ibrahim (a/k/a Dollar Brand), whose CMS residencies
are spoken of in awestruck tones by fellow CMS artists.

Meantime the bassist, Juma Sultan, explains the Hendrix connection:
“The bass line on the Kalaparusha cut is the same from the one I played with Jimi
Hendrix, which is called ‘Sundance.’ There was a lot of jamming with Jimi when he
was in Woodstock, including a session with Sam Rivers that I recorded. Jimi rented
a house on Trevor Hollow Road, an English manor house. We recorded with Jimi
and my band, the Aboriginal Music Society, at the Tinker Street Theater. We would
play every Friday night after the movie from midnight until 3 or so in the morning.”
Together, Kalaparusha, Sultan and Betsch move with authority from soulful Coltrane/
Pharoah Sanders-style incantations to boundary-pushing tonal explorations, burning
post-bop, and unhurried, contemplative free-form interplay.

The second disc of large ensemble music I found weakest on first listen (one track each led by Don Cherry, Baikida Carroll and Gerry Hemingway, from 17 to 27 minutes in length), the third, again dubbed "World Music", is again very entertaining, I love the loping groove on the 13 minute track by Amadou Jarr!

Anyway, very glad I rememberd to get this - and happy it arrived just in time for christmas (yesterday, actually) - Mr. Berger also added a handwritten note wishing me a musical new year - ya bet!