I'm a Music Critic! For Reals!

Hey all! I've been away awhile. Some of you might remember me. Anyway, I've just landed a gig writing about music for "Metroland", my local alt paper, and I need something to write about. If you've got an album coming up or will be performing in Upstate NY/Western MA, let me know! Send me a PM here or email me at alexander1228@gmail.com. I look forward to reconnecting with the folks around here.

Still looking for a teaching job and working as a TA in Special Ed. Still acting and improvising. Reconciled with my wife. Daughter just turned 14 and is starting high school in the Fall. In addition to writing about music for Metroland, I'm going to be reviewing theater (I'm doing my first review this weekend) and books. I'm VERY excited to be finally getting paid to write!

My daughter is a dream come true, btw. Smart, independent, witty, driven (we've NEVER had to tell her to study or do her homework. If anything, we have make her take a break or go to bed), well-read (loves Tolkien; just finished "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and is now reading "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"), has tons of interests (Star Trek, Firefly, Buffy, Arrested Development, Sherlock, The Office (both versions), The IT Crowd, Monty Python, The Mighty Boosh, Being Human (British), Doctor Who, and Supernatural are among her favorite shows) and has a diverse taste in music (she listens to Elvis or Billy Joel when she does math. She also loves musical theater, especially "Les Mis" and "Phantom". Not my thing, but that's okay). She plays violin, guitar, ukulele, mandolin, and piano (self-taught on everything but violin). She acts and sings (her vocal coach says she could major in voice. She's developed an amazing operatic mezzo-soprano range). Can you tell that I'm proud?!

Finally, Sammie has very cool friends who share her interests and personality. She's got a tight circle of female friends (when she had them over for her birthday, they got out her instruments and jammed together), but she also "speaks boy". She was telling us the other day about how she can knowledgeably discuss the finer points of Marvel vs DC comics with her male friends...