Tascam CD-RW900SL

mjzee

I don't, but I've never heard anything bad about Tascam equipment.

Just curious, do you not have a CD-R on your computer?

Of course I do, as does everyone with a computer. (Although interestingly, as an aside, my new iMac does not come with an optical drive. I've repurposed my old iMac as a dedicated music server.)

The CD recorder is part of my stereo system, and it's how I transfer LPs (and before that, cassettes) to iTunes: burn to CD, transfer to iMac, clean it up with Amadeus, then import into iTunes.

As for Tascam, they're really TEAC, so it's worth asking how good this particular unit is.

I have a 900sl; I use it for direct transfers and as a front-end converter; works well for both; sounds good also on 'live' recordings, with a good mic pre-amp up front.

Thanks, Allen. What do you mean by "front-end converter" - do you use it as a pass-through DAC?

actually, as an A to D, because it's 24 bits; I put my turntable into it analog, and come out digital - from which I go into my computer.

OK, I just take that middle step of first burning it to CD, so I can parse the tracks, adjust levels and (sometimes) declick.

• 3 months later...

I've owned my 900SL for a few years now and it's a tank! Like others it's part of my main rig which allows me to record from my LP's. I've also got an iDock to DAC thru which I record MP3's to CDR's (I insist on having hard copies of any MP3's I buy). I've made CD mixes from LP/CD/MP3 and the sound quality's consistently excellent. If your source is good the 900SL always delivers!

I've owned my 900SL for a few years now and it's a tank! Like others it's part of my main rig which allows me to record from my LP's. I've also got an iDock to DAC thru which I record MP3's to CDR's (I insist on having hard copies of any MP3's I buy). I've made CD mixes from LP/CD/MP3 and the sound quality's consistently excellent. If your source is good the 900SL always delivers!

Curious why you don't just burn your CDR's on your computer. Do you bypass using a computer? (Many people do these days.)

Just force of habit! Before I got my 1st Phillips CD Recorder (long time ago!) I used to record cassettes like crazy. I enjoy recording in real time and listening to the big rig while I'm doing it!

I totally understand. I still miss making mix tapes.

I'm using my 900SL continually this summer to transfer all these LPs (so far about 300). It's doing fine but I am having some problem with the eject, which occassionally fails; worrys me greatly; especially since on the MK II they seem to be using a regular tray instead of a slot (I think, from looking at the pic).

I'm using my 900SL continually this summer to transfer all these LPs (so far about 300). It's doing fine but I am having some problem with the eject, which occassionally fails; worrys me greatly; especially since on the MK II they seem to be using a regular tray instead of a slot (I think, from looking at the pic).

That's correct, the MK II has a tray.

Although I like a tray, the solution is probably the same for both: unplug it and plug it back in. Also, if the tray were stuck, it's not like I'd take a screwdriver and pry it open - it's a problem either way.

I now have one of those new iMacs which does not come with an optical drive. Although I initially felt inconvenienced, I'm now seeing the advantages of this: if a disc gets stuck, all you're dealing with is a $40 optical drive, rather than having to open the whole computer. (I didn't buy an Apple SuperDrive; instead, I got a Samsung SE-218, which has been great.)

my MacBook Pro will sometimes refuse to eject; but it always starts working in a while.

I had a real asshole puckering moments a few months ago where my iMac simply refused to eject a disc I had ripped. I had to restart it twice before it finally spit out the goods. That sucked.

Although I like a tray, the solution is probably the same for both: unplug it and plug it back in. Also, if the tray were stuck, it's not like I'd take a screwdriver and pry it open - it's a problem either way.

If it's a tray, it's a little easier to deal with. Pop the cover, and manually push the tray out.

Slot load? That's a whole new problem. And not a pleasant one.

my MacBook Pro will sometimes refuse to eject; but it always starts working in a while.

I had a real asshole puckering moments a few months ago where my iMac simply refused to eject a disc I had ripped. I had to restart it twice before it finally spit out the goods. That sucked.

If it's a tray, it's a little easier to deal with. Pop the cover, and manually push the tray out.

Slot load? That's a whole new problem. And not a pleasant one.

I'd recommend getting the external Samsung drive, if only for future peace of mind. It's really an elegant solution. There's only one wire, because it's powered by USB, but it does need to be plugged into the computer and not to a hub.