John Coltrane - Live at Temple University 1966-official release!

king ubu

I thought the same last night, indeed!

But what with Wild's entry?

Guess if Garrison would have been there, the solo spot would have been his - or it would have turned into a bass duet?

On his website where he keeps updates, Wild has Johnson on it and Garrison listed as possible, but the listing hasn't been updated since the album release. The radio hosts only mention one bassist ("Sonny Jackson") and say Garrison wasn't there.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about this album in Downbeat. An amateur recording featuring a bunch of so so percussionists, and an uninvited quest musician who took it upon himself to sit in. I believe I'll pass on this.

This is why I don't bother with jazz magazines anymore. A bunch of so so unhelpful reviews that put you on the wrong track, a couple of meh interviews, and all this for the price of at least one CD (if imported from Britain or the US).

Edited by erwbol

I thought the same last night, indeed!

But what with Wild's entry?

Guess if Garrison would have been there, the solo spot would have been his - or it would have turned into a bass duet?

Here's a few questions answered - I've been communicating with Wolf Schmaler (one of the contributors to the Coltrane Reference) over the past year or so regarding all things Coltrane
Have you heard the newly released Temple University 2CD set - Interestingly its been released by Resonance Records - I was expecting Hip-O-Select
IMHO, sound quality is excellent
It’s actually a Verve release, I think, Resonance is a separate company licened by Verve. Don’t know why they organized the release like this.
As far as I know all announcements (and the highly interesting discussion after the concert) have been edited out because of Verve and WRTI-FM contracts.
Ashley Kahn's notes throw up some interesting points
1. He claims that Garrison was not present (only one bassist) - though there are 2 photos in the booklet of a concert performance (details not given) & both bassists are present
Maybe these are from a different location?
After long discussions of the question “one or two bassists” in the group the result is: “one bassist only, Sonny Johnson”. Kenyatta – in an interview with Fuji – remembered “Sonny Johnson for sure, Jimmy Garrison possibly”, but aural evidence (Chris DeVito, a former bassist himself) and other sources clearly say there is no reason to assume Garrison was present.
The photos: I can’t see two bassists on the second photo. Both photos (middle pages and the second) most probably are from a performance Village Vanguard, December 26, 1966.
2. Confirms Rashied Ali's presence
Yes, that seems to be confirmed.

Thanks! As I said, I found no info on the source of the photos, so they are indeed misleading!

Johnson, in the line-up given, is indeed the only bassist listed. And that does confirm aural evidence.

And yes, I found sound excellent as well - much better than I dared to expect for sure! No reason no to get this because of bad sound, I'd say (but I'm pretty tolerant in that respect, after all).

As for the "turbulence" ... there's much less of that than I expected. Really, Coltrane is magisterial and he seems firmly rooted and at peace with himself here. Sure, there's Sanders going bonkers as usual, but overall, I found the entire thing pretty ... solemn? Beautiful for sure, strong and beautiful. A stunning release!

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of late-Coltrane live releases...I used to have both the Seattle and Japan live albums but got rid of them because I found myself never playing them.

I absolutely adore records like "meditations" and "interstellar space" but for some reason couldn't really dig "live in Seattle" etc.

Would be curious to hear samples from this new set to see if maybe my ears are different now haha..

Found the following at the end of the Amazon.com listing, which may explain why the release is on Resonance rather than Hip-O or Verver:

Resonance Records, which is a 501 ©(3) non-profit foundation, will contribute a portion from every sale to the John Coltrane House, an organization devoted to the preservation of Coltrane's former home in Dix Hills, New York.

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of late-Coltrane live releases...I used to have both the Seattle and Japan live albums but got rid of them because I found myself never playing them.

I absolutely adore records like "meditations" and "interstellar space" but for some reason couldn't really dig "live in Seattle" etc.

Would be curious to hear samples from this new set to see if maybe my ears are different now haha..

I agree that those later Coltrane live albums can be wearying, but from what I've heard from the Temple University concert, it's really enjoyable. I think it's the best live example of the Alice/Pharoah/Ali era.

• 2 weeks later...