Dolphy: Freedom of Sound celebration/fundraiser—Pls. help!

I'm confused. Is the 2-day concert going to be held even if the Indiegogo campaign doesn't raise the $35,000? Also, the "flexible funding" policy states "This campaign will receive all funds raised even if it does not reach its goal." Does this mean that people who contribute will receive the promised perks even if the campaign falls short?

I'm confused. Is the 2-day concert going to be held even if the Indiegogo campaign doesn't raise the $35,000? Also, the "flexible funding" policy states "This campaign will receive all funds raised even if it does not reach its goal." Does this mean that people who contribute will receive the promised perks even if the campaign falls short?

I first encountered the Dolphy project and visited Indiegogo yesterday, and I have no connection with them other than having made a generous donation that will earn me a "thank you." :)

In reverse order,

I searched for the answer to your second question at Indiegogo and found this:

http://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/527456-Following-Up-and-Sending-Perks

Am I Required to Fulfill My Perks if I don't Meet My Goal?

If you are running a Flexible Funding campaign and you receive money from contributors - YES, you must fulfill your Perks.

I suggest that you contact the Dolphy project folks (SeedArtists.org) and ask them your first question. There's contact info. in the big display ad above as well as a Comments form at http://igg.me/at/dolphysound and a Contact form at http://seedartists.org/.

Edit: I just found this, near the bottom of Seed Artists' Indiegogo page:

What if We Don’t Reach Our Goal? We'll be disappointed. Briefly. But we'll still use the funds to produce the show. They will not move from the bank account, and we raise funds until we can produce it. No monies will be used for any purpose other than those stated above.
Edited by bluenoter

Uli, bertrand and all---

If you can, please help make it happen! :)

Some people have contributed as little as $5. Some contributors choose to display their name as Anonymous or use a handle, and there's also the option of displaying the amount of one's contribution as "Undisclosed" (edit: they're now using "Private").

Edited by bluenoter

I am trying to figure out if I can actually be there, which will impact how much I donate.

With so many artists involved, I am trying to figure out how long it will be. Is it all-day for two days? Will the roster be split over the two nights? Do we know who will play on each day?

I probably could come up for both days, but I am curious as to what time it starts. Of course, there is also the lodging issue...

Bertrand.

• 2 weeks later...

Bertrand et al.---

The event organizers have now posted some information that answers the questions in #8:

13899617366_3c03568a65_o.jpg

Schedule posted Thursday, April 17, at the Indiegogo fundraising page:
http://igg.me/at/dolphysound

The website:
http://seedartists.org/

I strongly encourage you to take a look, or another look, at those two sites to get info. and updates on the project. Each of them provides ways to "Contact Us" in case you have more questions. I have no connection with the project; I'm just an enthusiastic supporter who made a very modest donation (which I jokingly called "generous" in a post above).

And folks, if you want the Dolphy fest to take place on the dates planned and with the lineup planned, please help make it happen! The sooner the organizers raise enough funds, the sooner they can solidify their plans.

Edited by bluenoter

• 2 weeks later...

Don Byron and those guys are great, but there are clarinetists who are much more powerfully infuenced by Dolphy; like JD Parran and Paul Austerlitz. Why the hell aren't they part of this? This project is a great idea, but musically it just doesn't add up, based on the descriptions.

Allen---

I think I'll leave it at "I don't know." If you want the project organizers to comment, you can contact them at either of the websites linked to in #9.

The project organizers have just reconfirmed that the fest will take place even if the fundraising target ($35,000) isn't met. Tickets are now for sale at https://www.showclix.com/event/3841236.

Edited by bluenoter

• 4 weeks later...

If you're going . . .

I'm a nondriver, and I'm having trouble finding workable public transportation options (especially for leaving Montclair State U. and getting back to wherever).

I will gladly contribute some money toward gas or even a car rental if you can give me a ride

--- to the event from

• the DC area (where I live)
  • Manhattan
  • Newark
  • or maybe some other location

--- or from the event back to any of those places

--- on Friday (preferred), Saturday, or both days

Please PM me ASAP if you might be able to help.

Many thanks!

Tickets are now for sale at https://www.showclix.com/event/3841236.

Edited by bluenoter

I wish I could drive you Rita. Current plan is we go only on Saturday leaving to he there probably around 6:00. Finalizing plans tonight with wavering wife.

It's 20 minutes from where I live, but previous afternoon plans are running into the late afternoon - I would love to hear the panel but the musicians playing after make it insane not to drop by for the music.

I happily attended both nights of the festival. The format in which most of the ensembles only performed one or two tunes meant that at times their performance was over before I was able to completely settle in to what they were doing. The symposium had the potential to be really great, but a couple of people rambled on a bit long and they ran out of time just when it was about to get to the meat. The acoustics in the venue also were not ideal. Other than those relatively minor quibbles, it was a very special event on the whole.

Particularly noteworthy performances included Russ Johnson's Still Out to Lunch, The Dolphy Bass Clarinet Quartet, Tarbaby featuring Oliver Lake, Richard Davis & Aska Kaneko (especially good considering I had never even heard the violinist - the group also included Angelica Sanchez and Andrew Cyrille), the Grachan Moncur III ensemble (although Moncur only directed and did not play) and the Sound of Freedom Ensemble conducted by James Newton.

Don Byron and those guys are great, but there are clarinetists who are much more powerfully infuenced by Dolphy; like JD Parran and Paul Austerlitz. Why the hell aren't they part of this? This project is a great idea, but musically it just doesn't add up, based on the descriptions.

And Allen, for what it is worth Austerlitz did accompany poet Michael S. Harper and Parran was at least in attendance.

Belated thanks to Steve, relyles, and bertrand for addressing my transportation problems (here or privately). :tup

One of the festival organizers answered my phone call, gave me an idiot-proof plan for local public transportation on Friday, and even called me back to correct himself. (No plan for Saturday would have been idiot-proof, and the organizers hadn't followed through on providing a shuttle.) But after much agonizing, I decided not to spend 10+ hours on buses and trains to attend a 3½-hour concert.

Thanks for the review, relyles. Any other reviews? (Steve? Bertrand, if you went? Anyone else?)

Edited by bluenoter

Rita:

One of these days I get to your neck of the forest....

I made some comments on the other thread. I enjoyed the few hours my wife and I were there. Highlights were the quartet with Mr. Davis and the duo with Cyrille and the fine cellist with a dancer that added to the presentation for me.

Thanks, Steve! Found the comments by you and Justin V (as well as your comment

).

And please do get to my neck of the forest! I bet we could find some tempting event(s) here, if necessary.

sound kinda luke warm to me......

Did you see the comments :smirk:

Edited by bluenoter

Allen---

Thanks. We have different perceptions; to me, the review comments sound enthusiastic enough that I'd be kicking myself for not attending had I not already spent a long time agonizing over the decision.

Edited by bluenoter

to me it sounded like a fair amount of light, but too many ongoing presentations. Lacked focus. But then, I may have edited out, in my head, anything that did not meet my expectations.

I'm sure it was a nice event, I just see too many of these prototypes which, to me, represent an uneven viewpoint or a lack of focused intent. It sounded like the kind of day in which I would have listened, gone out, and then come back and listened again.