Wayne Henderson-RIP

jazzkrow

Sad news - excellent trombonist. I'll give the Jazz Crusaders Mosaic box a spin in recognition tonight. RIP.

I remember buying 'Those Southern Knights' around 1976 and being very impressed with his trombone solos on this record. Since then have always been a fan of the Crusaders/Jazz Crusaders.

Edited by sidewinder

The Jazz Crusaders helped launch my love of jazz back in college...

I got turned on to The Crusaders when I was in high school in the early 70's, and got to see them live on two occasions in those years. For me, that music has stood the test of time (as has the music from their previous incarnation), and I expect it always will. So many good memories. RIP, Mr. Henderson.

I discovered The Crusaders in the mid-70s with "Southern Comfort". I was already interested in horn based stuff at the time like Chicago and Tower of Power so they really struck a chord in me with their unique sound. I subsequently followed their releases after Southern Comfort but they lost me with "Free As The Wind" and the departure of Wayne Henderson. Wanting more, I started to seek out what I could of their material prior to Southern Comfort and their Jazz Crusader stuff. Years later, thankfully, Mosaic released their Jazz Crusaders box set and the live material became available. It was through Wayne Henderson that I learned that the trombone could be such an interesting and excellent sounding solo instrument. He provided me with an appreciation for the trombone that I didn't have before. He was a wonderful talent and played a great part in making the Jazz Crusaders/Crusaders one of my all time favorite groups. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Edited by mikelz777

I discovered The Crusaders in the mid-70s with "Southern Comfort". I was already interested in horn based stuff at the time like Chicago and Tower of Power so they really struck a chord in me with their unique sound. I subsequently followed their releases after Southern Comfort but they lost me with "Free As The Wind" and the departure of Wayne Henderson. Wanting more, I started to seek out what I could of their material prior to Southern Comfort and their Jazz Crusader stuff. Years later, thankfully, Mosaic released their Jazz Crusaders box set and the live material became available. It was through Wayne Henderson that I learned that the trombone could be such an interesting and excellent sounding solo instrument. He provided me with an appreciation for the trombone that I didn't have before. He was a wonderful talent and played a great part in making the Jazz Crusaders/Crusaders one of my all time favorite groups. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Free As The Wind is actually a very worthwhile instrumental album. I even like Images and Street Life. There was worse stuff after that.

All Music Guide Reviewer Richard S. Ginell:

"There's a terrific reason why the triple-CD Crusaders retrospective The Golden Years included six of Free as the Wind's eight tracks -- the material... This would be the Crusaders' high-water mark in the post-Wayne Henderson years, and it can stand tall with anything they've done."

Edited by Jerry_L

Wikipedia shows that Wayne Henderson, trombonist from the (Jazz) Crusaders passed away on April 5, at age 74.

Sad news.

The Jazz Crusaders helped launch my love of jazz back in college...

RIP Wayne...

My path into jazz was largely through Steely Dan and from there to the Jazz Crusaders, some of who were a part of Steely Dan's studio band for a few albums. Wilton played bass on Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied, Joe Sample played keys on Aja and Gaucho. Larry Carlton played guitar on Katy Lied, Royal Scam, Aja, and Gaucho.

Edited by Jerry_L

Free As The Wind is actually a very worthwhile instrumental album. I even like Images and Street Life. There was worse stuff after that.

All Music Guide Reviewer Richard S. Ginell:

"There's a terrific reason why the triple-CD Crusaders retrospective The Golden Years included six of Free as the Wind's eight tracks -- the material... This would be the Crusaders' high-water mark in the post-Wayne Henderson years, and it can stand tall with anything they've done."

To each his own. Free As The Wind is what it is but I'm not digging it, even less so Images, Street Life and that which followed. After that point, they were all a bit too slick and produced to me. Though they had their moments, I could even feel my interest waning with Chain Reaction and Those Southern Knights. Every group is going to evolve over time and I chose to exit the crusade right along with Henderson.

Edited by mikelz777