Suggestions sought: Turntable

GA Russell

It has occurred to me that if I save $25 a month, I should be able to get a good turntable for Christmas.

For many years I have been under the impression that the Rega for $500 was the least expensive of any quality.

Amazon has the Rega RP-1 for $445.00.

http://www.amazon.com/REGA-RP1-TURNTABLE-COOL-GRAY/dp/B004B3GELG

However I see a couple for half that amount.

Wirecutter.com recommends the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

Amazon has it for $229.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396919845&sr=1-1&keywords=turntable+record+player

On March 13 the Wall Street Journal recommended the Music Hall USB-1.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303795904579433222363701870

http://musichallaudio.com/usb-1-turntable/

Amazon has that for $249.00

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-MUSIC-HALL-TURNTABLE/dp/B00DWBE0UA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396932044&sr=8-2&keywords=music+hall+usb-1+turntable

Any thoughts on these or others?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard good things about the Rega decks and they would definiately be on my shopping list to hear. I re-discovered my old vinyl last year when my 15 year old son saw them in the attic - he'd never cue'd a record in his life so we went out to get a Project Genie turntable having read good reviews. It's complete with 2M Red cartridge fitted, so quick to get up and running for non-experts like me. Great sound, easy to use, could do with a dust cover though!

I don't have a lot of experience with recent turntables, most of my turntable experience is from the 'sixties and 'seventies. But a few years ago I bought a Rega RP3 for my main system, and then another for my second system; they are truly musical turntables. Because of this in your shoes I'd check out the RP1.

I never really stopped listening to vinyl, but when I replaced my "college" Dual almost 20 years ago I went Rega. Still have that one (their entry level at the time) and have since bought another. I was stunned with how good the first one sounded and still am. The dudes know what they are doing!

I would suggest that when the time comes you buy it through a local dealer. It is nice to have someone locally who can tweak it for you. I don't think Bezos makes house calls :smirk:

Edited by Eric

The recommendations you already have are good ones. I've had lots of experience with Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall and other budget-conscious turntables. You won't go far wrong with any of them. Where I think you are more likely to go wrong is if you buy mail order to save a buck. Turntables need to be properly set up - for the sake of your sound and your LPs.

Also make sure you have a proper phono amplification set up, designed for your cartridge (moving coil, moving magnet, moving iron), its output and resistance needs. You obviously need a phono input to your pre-amp, integrated or receiver, but with a low-output cartridge, you may also need some sort of step-up device.

These are all things that a qualified dealer can assist with...but Amazon can't.

Final note: I use the word "qualified" to modify "dealer" for a reason. Vinyl is a huge fad right now. Turntables are sold everywhere - including places that are neither qualified nor dealers. Hell, you can buy vinyl at Whole Foods.

Edited by BeBop

I have an old Beogram with the tangential tonearm that was very stable and sounded great, though I haven't used it since I last digitized some albums years ago.

300x300px-LS-31734b30_950-BAO-Beogram_TX

I may get one of those newer USB ones to digitize more albums, since the hardware/software setup I had for digitizing is probably no longer workable.

I bought my first Rega almost 30 years ago. One of my former co-workers (from when I worked in audio retail), claims he sells almost one per day, up from one a month six years ago.

(Oops. Miscount. Almost 40 years ago - actually 35)

Edited by BeBop

One of these, A Lark Ascending? (minus the weight/clamp) Or the silver-tubed tonearm model?

rega_planar_3.jpg

My turntable! I got it in a sealed box after a messy breakup nearly 20 years ago (it had been her dads). No-one asked for it back and its given great service since (with the odd stylus/rubber band). It replaced a turntable I bought at a car boot sale for £4 which with a new cartridge sounded great...

Can't go wrong with the Rega and picking up a used one locally and getting it set up correctly would be my recommendation

Dont' listen to fent99 and A Lark Ascending. They're British and, therefore, completely biased in this affair. Instead, you should be looking at turntables from Michell, Linn, Garrard, Revolver, Aidio Note, The Funk Firm, Avid, Roksan, SME, or even an old Creek Wyndsor. Hey, wait...

(Don't take this post seriously. Just observing that many, many fine turntable manufacturers are British or Linn.)

British or Linn? :huh:

Have the Scots voted to separate already?

May I throw Dual's good old Teutonic technology (i.e built like a brick out-house) into the mix? My first 'real' deck was a Dual 604 and it gave many years of strerling service until I bought my first Linn deck (an Axis).

Edited by sidewinder