VISION FESTIVAL 19 - June 11-15, 2014 NYC

Leeway

Here's the lineup for this year's Vision Festival, and it looks really good.

http://avantmusicnews.com/2014/04/07/vision-festival-19-announced-for-june-11-15-in-new-york/

For me, right off the top, it's the Moondoc and Brotzmann shows, and Charles Gayle Night, but there are many other fine shows. I'm likely going for the week.

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 11

– A LifeTime of Achievement

Gayle Trio + Dance:

Daniel Carter (reeds), Miriam Parker (dance), Charles Gayle (b), Michael T.A. Thompson (d)

Gayle Quartet

Charles Gayle (sax),
(p), William Parker (p), Michael Wimberly (d)

Poet David Mills

Charles Gayle & the Vision Artist Orchestra

Charles Gayle (p, conduction)

Kidd Jordan (ts), Hamiet Bluiett (bar), Ingrid Laubrock (ts)

Ted Daniel (tpt),
(tb)

, Mazz Swift (vln, vna)

Nioka Workman (cello), Shayna Dulberger (b), Andrew Cyrille (d)

THURSDAY, JUNE 12

Poet: Steve Dalachinsky

Mary Halvorson + Susan Alcorn

Mary Halvorson (el-g), Susan Alcorn (lap steel gtr)

Wimberly Harlem Ensemble

Antoine Roney (ts, ss), Larry Roland (b), Nioka Workman (cello), Michael Wimberly (perc)

Dyane Harvey-Salaam, Souleymane Bodolo (dance, choreography)

Sainkho Namchalok + Ned Rothenberg

Sainkho Namchalok (voice), Ned Rothenberg (woodwinds)

Peter Brötzmann +
+ William Parker

Peter Brötzmann (reeds), Hamid Drake (perc), William Parker (b)

FRIDAY, JUNE 13

Poet: Ramya Ramana

Dickey Quartet

Whit dickey / Mat Maneri /
/ Rob Brown

Women with an Axe to Grind

Shayna Dulberger / Kris Davis / Mazz Swift / Patricia Nicholson

Jemeel Moondoc Quintet,

Jemeel Moondoc (as), Steve Swell (tb), Nathan Breedlove (tpt), Hill Green (b),
(d)

Trio

James “Blood” Ulmer (elg), Calvin Jones (b), Cornel Rochester (d)

SATURDAY, JUNE 14

Poet: David Henderson

Satoko Fujii New Trio +1

Satoko Fujii (p), Todd Nicholson (b), Yoshi Shutto (d), Kappa Maki (tpt)

Matthew Shipp Trio

Matthew Shipp (p), Michael Bisio (b),
(d)

TarBaby

Nasheet Waits (d), Eric Revis (b), Orrin Evans (p)

Sonic Projections

Nicole Mitchell (fl), David Boykin (ts), Craig Taborn (p), Chad Taylor (d)

SUNDAY, JUNE 15

Poet Quincy Troupe

Angelica Sanchez + Omar Tamez

Angelica Sanchez (p), Omar Tamez (elg)

Fay Victor + Tyshawn Sorey

Fay Victor (voice), Tyshawn Sorey (d, perc, found instruments)

Jordan + Burrell + Parker + Drake

Kidd Jordan (ts), Dave Burrell (p), William Parker (b), Hamid Drake (d)

TIMES THREE

Connie Crothers (p), Henry Grimes (b, vln), Melvin Gibbs (el-b)

Roy Campbell Tribute Band

led by Sabir Mateen, Rob Brown, Andrew Bemkey, William Parker, Hamid Drake

Why is Antoine Roney on that stage on that night?

As Jim asked, is he that happening? No other band to fit that prime spot before Rothenberg and Brotzmann-Parker-Drake?

Fwiw, I'm no huge fan of some of the bookings as despite what some might think, I can't get excited about things like the Alcorn/Halvorson duo and although I might be surprised, the idea of duos of vocalists with Sorey and Rothenberg have me feeling nothing except hoping it's not that painful.

Would much rather have a band with Darius Jones Little Women, Gerald Cleaver's Black Host or Tim Berne's Snakeoil. Plus the fascination with drummers like Whit Dickey and Michael Wimberly have always astounded me. Maybe they have grown over the past 10 plus years and maybe I'll be there on one of those nights but when I've seen them back in the day, there was never a silence to be heard from either of them.

Plus I love my pal Steve but poets and dancers do very little except detract from the reason I go.

And if it gets political, I'm out the door until the music starts

SSDD?

Roney was in that "Celebrating Ornette" band with Denardo. He didn't impress me there, I think that was the wrong ensemble for him, but hey, the guy seems to be making an effort, so I'll listen.

With something like Vision Festival, you are not going to dig every act, I suppose, but my experience is that you get the most out of the festival by going to those that you think you are not going to like, as well ads one's faves. Oftentimes, those are the ones that surprise in the best possible way. And when I go to a festival like this, it's that element of surprise that makes it worthwhile. I have a lot of respect for these musicians, in their ability and their judgment, and sometimes even their failures are more enlightening than something played by number.

Edited by Leeway

SSDD?

"Same Shit Different Day"

(or in this case, different year)

I am not super into the sound at Roulette, and last year's VF had some egregious issues in that respect.

But since cynicism is not allowed in talking about free music, I'll refrain from complaining too much.

Allowed, encouraged and welcomed!!!

I love free jazz and improvisation as much as most anyone and I still don't (well I do but I don't like or accept it ) understand why certain musicians dominate these proceedings - even though some of them are my personal favorites. The openness and acceptance and love that is preached often comes across as lip service when it comes the bands and musicians that "qualify"

Curious as to where you're coming from here.

No fan of the 60's political philosophy. I don't like the connection that many including some or most of my musical heroes make with politics.

Put it this way as some from the old jazz corner know, I come from a very different place in these respects.

Curious as to where you're coming from here.

No fan of the 60's political philosophy. I don't like the connection that many including some or most of my musical heroes make with politics.

Put it this way as some from the old jazz corner know, I come from a very different place in these respects.

Do you think you can really detach the music from its underlying philosophy? I really don't, not without injustice to the music. Otherwise, as they say, "the rest is noise." Anyway, I've never really heard anything explicitly political at VF. Mostly it's vague Art + Spirit = Beauty sort of thing. Vague enough to allow one to carry one's political views away unharmed.

Glad someone else is wary of Gayle.

I'll let it rest too

Oh go on, let it rip! I love him as a sax player, respect him as a piano player, and puzzle over him as a bass player. But I think he loves the bass the same way Michael Jordan loves minor league baseball. He's really an enigmatic figure; to me that's estimable.

He might be wary of Gayles from any direction.

Rightly so.

Steve, I'll let it go. Thanks for the reply.

I guess I can't. :smirk:

Curious as to where you're coming from here. No fan of the 60's political philosophy. I don't like the connection that many including some or most of my musical heroes make with politics.

Do you think you can really detach the music from its underlying philosophy? I really don't, not without injustice to the music. Otherwise, as they say, "the rest is noise." Anyway, I've never really heard anything explicitly political at VF. Mostly it's vague Art + Spirit = Beauty sort of thing. Vague enough to allow one to carry one's political views away unharmed.

Glad someone else is wary of Gayle.

I'll let it rest too

Oh go on, let it rip! I love him as a sax player, respect him as a piano player, and puzzle over him as a bass player. But I think he loves the bass the same way Michael Jordan loves minor league baseball. He's really an enigmatic figure; to me that's estimable.

He might be wary of Gayles from any direction.

Rightly so.

Steve, I'll let it go. Thanks for the reply.

I guess I can't. :smirk:

Lots of truth to that, Leeway

A few times it got overtly political but maybe only in an anti war way which doesn't bother me. As far as Gayle, I've never heard him on the bass and I'm not sure I'm ready.